SART: Who wants to make it an EPIC?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SART: Who wants to make it an EPIC?

I've been toying with the idea of starting from Loch Leven and climbing up from there and returning on the Santa Ana River trail back down through Thomas' Hunting grounds (For those of you not familiar w/ the trail, if you turn left instead of going straight where you drop into the store loop from the fire-road, the singletrack continues on for several more miles before dumping out onto a fire-road that will take you back down to Hwy. 38.).

There's a couple things that might prevent me from doing so.

#1. The bonk potential: Even though I've been doing some long rides in the area lately, I haven't done anything quite *that* long yet this season (The entire loop would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 miles.), but the nature of a group ride provides for plenty of rest breaks and there's plenty of opportunities for water, so provided I kept myself fed, I think I could handle it. Though it would probably be my longest ride thus far on a SS. I've done a couple 35 - 40 milers, but nothing over 40 (I don't think. I don't have a computer on my SS and I did do a pretty long one starting from my house in Redlands up to SART a couple weekends ago. Road miles don't count though )

#2. I'd hafta get up at least an hour earlier to make the climb up Loch Leven in time for the planned start. I know all you guys from LA/OC/SD are thinking "Oh, poor baby. Cry me a river.", but I like to sleep in at least a little on the weekends...

Sooo, what I'm really looking for here is a little extra motivation. If I can talk any other insane SSers into going along and turning this into an *epic* ride, that'd be the motivation I need.

There's really not a whole lot more climbing over and above the long-loop option aside from having to do the fire-road behind the store again, and climbing for another mile or so past that, on singletrack, before it starts to descend. The real killer would be the road climb back up Hwy. 38 from where the fire road drops out back to Loch Leven, but if I got someone to go along we could leave one car there and another at Loch Leven (or maybe beg a ride from someone coming back down the hill) and shuttle that bit...

Any takers?

-Trevor
    Last edited by TrevorInSoCal; 05-18-2004 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typo

hispanic mechanic

I'd love to, but...

I'm not gonna wake up that early to drive up from Sandy Eggo and meet you for the addition!
    Too bad, sounds like it'd be fun!

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

mtbr member

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    I'm not gonna wake up that early to drive up from Sandy Eggo and meet you for the addition!
    Too bad, sounds like it'd be fun!

the los
    The other option for anyone who is interested is to just do the extra bit back down to Hwy. 38 at the end of the ride and skip the Loch Leven climb in the morning (You're not missing much there except for a long grind of a fire-road climb, it just gives you a good starting point for the loop w/o having to shuttle.), but that only works if you're heading up with someone else that can meet you at the bottom of the hill, or I could shuttle a couple people and bikes back up in my truck (might be a little cramped. it's a Ford Ranger x-tra cab).

I might just ride up from Loch Leven regardless, and if nobody's interested in riding anymore (or I'm too bonked) after finishing up the middle-control climb I can always just head back down from Angeles Oaks the same way I came up and skip the extra climb and singletrack. It's all easy downhill that way.

-Trevor

I speak for the trees
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
    The other option for anyone who is interested is to just do the extra bit back down to Hwy. 38 at the end of the ride and skip the Loch Leven climb in the morning
    I've talked about doing that for a long time - maybe now's the time to try it. The only thing is that these group gatherings often take a long time and we may run out of it. But it's a good idea, and if a bonk sets in, there's always the option of cutting out at middle control rd with everyone else and driving back down.

giddy up!

I've done that loop before....

....and it's pretty fun!

But, since I am the unofficial ringleader for this one, I should probably stick to the plan:-)

Maybe we could do a followup longer loop in a few weeks!
    www.thepathbikeshop.com