SART set-up questions...- Mtbr.com
    hispanic mechanic

SART set-up questions...

So, I'll be joining you guys at SART this Sunday, and I'm wondering about bike set-up. Is the suspension fork recommended, or will I be happy on the rigid? Basically, is there a lot of rough stuff, uber-techy trails that Tam would take pictures of?
    Thanks,

the los
    Whiskey is my yoga.

dongerparty.com

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    gearing tips would be good, too. i was planning on just running what i always run (34:20), but if it's pretty flat (or rolling hillz) then maybe i'll up it a little (32:18). then again, if it's going to be a long day with beer stops involved, maybe sticking with the lower gear is money.

sart, baby SAAAART!

mtbr member

Depends...

Quote Originally Posted by sslos
    So, I'll be joining you guys at SART this Sunday, and I'm wondering about bike set-up. Is the suspension fork recommended, or will I be happy on the rigid? Basically, is there a lot of rough stuff, uber-techy trails that Tam would take pictures of?
    Thanks,

the los
    If the long loop ('bout 35 mi.) with the climb up Poop Out Hill past Jenks lake is on the agenda there's a rough, rocky descent down from Poop Out that's quite jarring on a rigid bike. Other than that descent the majority of the Santa Ana River trail is great on a rigid bike. Lots and lots of smooth, swoopy singletrack. I've never done the whole 35 mile loop rigid, but I have done that descent rigid a time or two, and it's doable, but it's pretty rough in a couple sections. The fatigue factor of riding rigid might be more of an issue on the longer ride, but if you're accustomed to long rides on a rigid singlespeed (or are doing a shorter loop) it shouldn't be a major issue.

-Trevor

giddy up!

Alrighty....

SSLOS-I would stick with the rigid fork if that's what you're used to. There really aren't any technical sections that would demand a squishy fork, and there is a surprising lack of stutter bumps in comparison to other trails in SoCal. You'll be happier on the climbs too:-)

ESSQ-I'd probably stick with the gearing that you're used to. All of the single track is rolly, with no major climbs. There is a fire road climb at the end of the ride that is 3 miles long and could be compared maple springs or harding.....nothing too steep. Their is also a long climb up to jenks lake if you choose to go with that group, but it is paved for the most part, and a relatively easy grade.....maple springs type of deal again. Hope that helps.

Brian
    www.thepathbikeshop.com

You Are What You Is
    Is the option up to Jenk's Lake worth it? I've only been along SART to South Fork CG and back. Is it mostly road to Jenk's?

giddy up!

Heck yeah!

....The jenks lake loop is well worth the extra effort. You basically leave the SART right before the first water crossing and climb up to 38. Then you cross 38 and climb the paved jenks lake road for 3 miles. Once you reach the lake you hang a right and climb a couple miles of broken pavement/fire road. No it gets fun. At this point you drop into some of the most entertaining single track in the area, paralleling the creek the whole time. This single track drops you off at south fork where you rejoin the SART.

Soooo, in answer to the question, it's definitely worth it! Not only does it add some fantastic singletrack, it also adds some fun climbs, and it means you only ride the SART in one direction instead of out and back. Makes for a very fun ride!

Bring lot's of food and water!

Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    Is the option up to Jenk's Lake worth it? I've only been along SART to South Fork CG and back. Is it mostly road to Jenk's?
    www.thepathbikeshop.com