SART recon- Mtbr.com

Thread: SART recon

mtbr member

SART recon

Decided to ride SART again today and do the upper portions 'cause It'd been a while since I'd done so. Been doing long rides up in that area on weekends for the past month or so, but usually starting from down below at Loch Leven or my house in Redlands. That kinda limits how far out I'm willing to go on SART.

Today we drove up and parked at the turn-out past the store. We rode the store loop and then out to the apple orchards where we took Hill Ranch Rd. up to Hwy. 38 and Jenks Lake road. After riding up Jenks Lake road to Poop Out Hill and doing the singletrack from where it tops out down to South Fork we took SART all the way back. Little over 35 mi. total, most of it singletrack and most all of it in pretty good shape, with the exception of a couple washed-out areas and a newly (within the past month) downed tree towards the end of the store-loop portion.

Rolled into the parking lot at the top of the middle-control climb at the end of the ride and met a group of riders from OC who were just finishing up. Seemed like a pretty cool bunch of guys and they gave me a beer, while I was waiting for my riding buddy to finish the climb. Sweet! .

There was also a group of ten or so when we started out in the morning but we didn't see any of them after the first part of the store loop. There were at least a couple singlespeeders in that group. Anyone here out riding SART today?

-Trevor

You Are What You Is

Het Trevor

What gear ratio do you use for SART? I'm doing the ride next Sunday with y'all and I'm trying to get an idea of a gear ratio. Maybe 32:18.

mtbr member

2:1

Quote Originally Posted by P-Funk
    What gear ratio do you use for SART? I'm doing the ride next Sunday with y'all and I'm trying to get an idea of a gear ratio. Maybe 32:18.
    I run 34x17 and don't have to walk anything that I wouldn't be walking on a gearie. There was *one* climb on Sunday that was quite a grunt, but it's not one you'd do normally anyways (Took the wrong way through the apple-orchards to Hill Ranch Rd. Been a while since I've ridden that section.).

SART consists of a lot of rolling singletrack w/o a whole lot of sustained climbing except for the 3 1/2 mile climb up middle-control at the end, that's a grind but only because it usually comes on the tail-end of a long ride. 2:1 seems to work pretty well for me there. If you were a real hammerhead you could probably even get away w/ going a little bigger, but I don't think there'd be much advantage to it. The downhills are twisty enough that you don't need a bigger gear.

Can't ask for much more ideal SS terrain than SART.

I might be the wrong guy to ask about gear-ratios though, as I've only been singlespeeding for a little over a year, and have never run anything but 2:1 (though I was sure wishing for a tooth or two extra on the rear cog at Castaic).

-Trevor

You Are What You Is
    Quote Originally Posted by TrevorInSoCal
    I run 34x17 and don't have to walk anything that I wouldn't be walking on a gearie. There was *one* climb on Sunday that was quite a grunt, but it's not one you'd do normally anyways (Took the wrong way through the apple-orchards to Hill Ranch Rd. Been a while since I've ridden that section.).

SART consists of a lot of rolling singletrack w/o a whole lot of sustained climbing except for the 3 1/2 mile climb up middle-control at the end, that's a grind but only because it usually comes on the tail-end of a long ride. 2:1 seems to work pretty well for me there. If you were a real hammerhead you could probably even get away w/ going a little bigger, but I don't think there'd be much advantage to it. The downhills are twisty enough that you don't need a bigger gear.

Can't ask for much more ideal SS terrain than SART.

I might be the wrong guy to ask about gear-ratios though, as I've only been singlespeeding for a little over a year, and have never run anything but 2:1 (though I was sure wishing for a tooth or two extra on the rear cog at Castaic).

-Trevor
    I've only ridden SART one time and that was on my gearie. It does seem like a perfect SS trail though. If it weren't for that blasted 3 mile climb at the end.