Santa Cruz Highball CC single speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Santa Cruz Highball CC single speed

I am trying to convert my 2015 Highball carbon to a single speed. Has anyone had any luck on finding a magic gear (430mm chainstays) or a low weight/low drag chain tensioner for a 142 thru axle?. I dont want a dual pulley tensioner and want to keep the cleanest look possible. I like the Rennen design but it requires rear dropouts. Any input is much appreciated.

Relentless forward motion
    Quote Originally Posted by ebnickell View Post
    I am trying to convert my 2015 Highball carbon to a single speed. Has anyone had any luck on finding a magic gear (430mm chainstays) or a low weight/low drag chain tensioner for a 142 thru axle?. I dont want a dual pulley tensioner and want to keep the cleanest look possible. I like the Rennen design but it requires rear dropouts. Any input is much appreciated.
    Doesn't the HB have a standard BB? If so, use a philcentric BB. Check the specs for compatibility. If it is compatible, this is what I would do.

https://www.philwood.com/products/bb...hilcentric.php
    "Racing cyclocross exposes the truth, it's the biggest reason many people do not race it"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Use this site to determine magic gear:

http://eehouse.org/fixin/fixmeup.php

The BB is standard; however, with carbon frames, I would make sure that the Phil EBB will work. It clamps on the outside and exerts a good amount of pressure. Make sure that the BB shell can handle that. I remember Niner had issues with some of their carbon BB shells cracking due to the EBB (their own, not Phil).

Magic gear works decent, but not high on my list. Two big issues: One is gearing. Hope you can find a gearing that works for you. Two is chain stretch. I got maybe 100 miles before the chain that was nicely tensioned was too loose.

I would just stick with the simple method of a pulley tensioner.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I rode a philcentric BB for more than 1000ks on a carbon HB. Works a treat and you can run whatever gearing you like then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The DMR single roller tensioner works great. It has a nice bearing in the roller and used a two bolt method of securing in place. Excellent.

VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
    I don't think the DMR would work because it uses the QR nut an the new Highball has a 142 thread in axle.

Put some pressure on this guy and see if he will make you one of his beautiful and light tensioners: https://www.facebook.com/HeliumComponents
    Take a look at and consider "liking" our VAR Facebook and VAR Instagram pages.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    The BB is standard; however, with carbon frames, I would make sure that the Phil EBB will work. It clamps on the outside and exerts a good amount of pressure. Make sure that the BB shell can handle that. I remember Niner had issues with some of their carbon BB shells cracking due to the EBB (their own, not Phil).
    The philcentric doesn't clamp to the frame in any way, and won't cause any problems on a carbon bike.