Santa Cruz Chameleon SS With Rear Disc- Mtbr.com
    WWW.TYPE1RIDER.COM
    Jan 2004

Santa Cruz Chameleon SS With Rear Disc

I am looking for a little bit of help getting a rear disc setup on my 2003 Santa Cruz Chameleon SS. The 2003s and up have the build in disc tab, and I have yet to find anyone who has an optimal setup for running a rear disc during SS operation.

I have heard that a 34/18 puts the rear hub in perfect position, but I don't know if that is true. Plus I am guessing with chain stetch that it probably won't work well for all that long.

I thought about maching the existing disc mount to have slotted mounts (like a Surly 1x1), thus allowing me the slight variations I will need.

I am fishing for a solution. I am running a v-brake back there now, and it is all good. But man, I would like to find a disc solution...

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

Thanks!
    2WheelFreak
    [email protected]
    'Who ever said you couldn't run away from your problems, obviously wasn't riding fast enough!'

USB Rep'n
    no solutions but I do have a question.....do you have to remove the caliper if you are using a disc w/ those horizontal dropouts? I am hopefully going to have my 2004 Chameleon next week and wondered about this. Im starting by running a disc up front and v's in the back. After I see it, I guess I'll decide.

For your question page eSSq or SDizzle, they know all that is lizard!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member

Rear Disk on Chameleon

I have a 2004 Chameleon running Avid mechanical in the back. I first rode 34/18 and now I ride 34/20 and have no problems with set up on either. I use a half link though. And I don't have to take the caliper off to change out the wheel. I suggest you take it to your LBS and have them help you out.

Support your local bike shop, unless of course, you can get it cheaper online.

mtbr member

try over on the sc board.........

over there under "post your lizards." lots of folks with chameys running discs. 04's, 03's and older. someone is bound to have a set up that fits your bill, otherwise try SC. [email protected] knows his stuff and could surly help you. hope this helps.
    It's all cycle-logical to me.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job! ^^^ what he said ^^^

except i'm not using a half-link. robin, why are you doing that? when i switched from 32:18 to 34:20 i just added a regular link to my chain and then slid the tabs forward about 2 mm. works great on my 2004 XL.

the chameleon is such a b:tchen bike. i am enjoying min very much. anyone want to buy my bianchi? i fear i may never ride it again!

theHeadlessThompsonGunner
    You won't be able to machine the mounts, and will likely trash them trying to do so. My recommendation, if for some reason eSSq's suggestion doesn't work (32 x 18, 34 x 20), would be to have a good shop order you the upside-down mount from pre-2003 Chameleons. It will still fit, and then you won't have any issues whatsoever - plus, you can remove your rear wheel without loosening the caliper.
    "I've courted brain damage like some courtesan of darkness."

-The Good Doctor

mtbr member

Half link is the way.

Well I'm not using the tension spacers from SC that your supposed to use if you want to ride it with a derailer and my frame is a large. I don't know if the chainstays are different sizes but I like my chain on the tight side. I have a 2000 Chameleon frame and RS Duke Race fork in case anyone is interested.

WWW.TYPE1RIDER.COM
    Jan 2004
    Thanks a lot! Those are some great suggestions!! I currently run a 32/18 and will try it with that setup.

You guys rock!!!

Thanks!!!!!
    2WheelFreak
    [email protected]
    'Who ever said you couldn't run away from your problems, obviously wasn't riding fast enough!'

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    except i'm not using a half-link. robin, why are you doing that? when i switched from 32:18 to 34:20 i just added a regular link to my chain and then slid the tabs forward about 2 mm. works great on my 2004 XL.

the chameleon is such a b:tchen bike. i am enjoying min very much. anyone want to buy my bianchi? i fear i may never ride it again!
    and the pictures of it are where????? I know, you're having too much fun riding it to take its pic. Either that or its camera shy because I know its not because you are procrastinating.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!