Salsa timberjack- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    blet drive
    Reputation: JUNGLEKID5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,166

    Salsa timberjack

    Is any one looking at this bike for there new single speed? Thoughts or ideas as I am thinking on doing a new ss with a more trail geo. the price doesn't seem to bad. http://http://salsacycles.com/bikes/...ck_27.5plus_x1
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

  2. #2
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    Your link is broken. However screw Salsa. They sold out. Period. I had 5 at once. Couldnt even get some thru axle dropouts for my el mar had to literally speak to the midwest rep for salsa. Tons of unanswered emails. Meanwhile they are making new bikes. How about support the bikes you already sold. So is a piece of crap timberkack a valid replacement for an el mariachi on warranty? Haha. Sell outs. Buy a kona or soething. Hell a chinese ebay. Screw salsa. Qbp ruined the brand

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  3. #3
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    I have emailed salsa directly more than once and never had a single issue. But for most things you have to go through a Salsa dealer just like anything else, gotta go to lbs.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I have emailed salsa directly more than once and never had a single issue. But for most things you have to go through a Salsa dealer just like anything else, gotta go to lbs.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Email them and ask them when they will have 142 thru axle alternator plates back in stock. I started emailing august of 2015. Still waiting.

    By still waiting i mean still waiting for them in stock. I actually got so mad i sold all 5 and bought a niner, a chinese ebay, an airborne goblin. Their loss.
    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  5. #5
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    Maybe try a different email address or call a Salsa dealer

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Maybe try a different email address or call a Salsa dealer

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    I dont think you are comprehending. Ive spoken with the highest level people you can talk to. Above the dealer's, above the reps. My friends are salsa factory sponsored riders. I know people. They dont work in the plant in china that makes the dropouts.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  7. #7
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    QBP bought salsa. Continued the brand as started. Then completely flushed that down the toilet and start making bikes that look like chinese ebay trek stache knock offs

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  8. #8
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    Dude you need to use Google, I can buy a ss alternators or about any other variation I want from 10 different places online... Universal cycles has all in stock.

    I don't even own a Salsa that can fit them and took me 2 minutes to find any version I want.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Dude you need to use Google, I can buy a ss alternators or about any other variation I want from 10 different places online... Universal cycles has all in stock.

    I don't even own a Salsa that can fit them and took me 2 minutes to find any version I want.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    As i previously stated. You cant comprehend.

    I NEED 142 THRU AXLE ALTERNATORS PLATES. Not that bs you are spouting. I placed an order for them on August 18th 2015 at tree fort bikes official dealer blah blah. They are still waiting. Just like everybody else. I made such a big deal about it that i finally got some alterntors directly from a high up at salsa. This is old news buddy. Google isnt solving this. A factory in china is

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  10. #10
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Dude you need to use Google, I can buy a ss alternators or about any other variation I want from 10 different places online... Universal cycles has all in stock.

    I don't even own a Salsa that can fit them and took me 2 minutes to find any version I want.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    What does this say....


    Now email salsa and ask when they will have some

    Like i said. This is old news


    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  11. #11
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    Maxle is 12x1.75....

    Buy the dang plates and axle separately. I can send you all the links on universal if you want....

    Ever think that Salsa can't get axle to maxle axles for some reason. So you blame Salsa when we have no clue if it's them or the patent holders for maxle species axles.

    Problem here is no one can seem to understand there is more than one option to accomplish it. 12x1.75 threaded alternator drop outs are out there the just arent listed "maxle"

    That said not sure why Salsa doesn't just give that response when people ask

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  12. #12
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Maxle is 12x1.75....

    Buy the dang plates and axle separately. I can send you all the links on universal if you want....

    Ever think that Salsa can't get axle to maxle axles for some reason. So you blame Salsa when we have no clue if it's them or the patent holders for maxle species axles.

    Problem here is no one can seem to understand there is more than one option to accomplish it. 12x1.75 threaded alternator drop outs are out there the just arent listed "maxle"

    That said not sure why Salsa doesn't just give that response when people ask

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Okau genius send me the link to a left side thru axle alternator drop out plate. Youre talking out your ass. I have spent over a year dealing with this. Salsa will tell you its a supply chain problem. They are waiting on the company that makes the alternators to make more. Youre wasting your time posting useless incorrect posts because ive spent over a year going over this. They are more concerned with pushing new models. It has nothing to do with your hypothetical maxle made up reasons. I know the reason. Ive spoken with the top of the top at Salsa. Again, google isnt solving this. A factory in china is

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  13. #13
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    Not talking out my ass, just doing some digging trying to help you out. But instead you gotta be a prick for no reason besides your pissed off something ain't right with getting the Salsa drop outs. And I'm simply saying there is other possibilities. Seen stupider crap happen.

    So instead of being a jerk about it why not look for options as i saw the damn 12x1.75 left side, just trying to find it again.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Not talking out my ass, just doing some digging trying to help you out. But instead you gotta be a prick for no reason besides your pissed off something ain't right with getting the Salsa drop outs. And I'm simply saying there is other possibilities. Seen stupider crap happen.

    So instead of being a jerk about it why not look for options as i saw the damn 12x1.75 left side, just trying to find it again.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Dude. Are you even reading my posts. Last august 14th i bought an el mariachi, august 18th i ordered 142 dropouts. About september 10th i bought another el mariachi, a week later i bought another one, new years day i bought another one and in February i bought another one. Thats 5 El mariachis in about 5 months. It was my first mtb. I did all the research. Decided on an el mariachi so i could run 142 ss. Kept emailing asking when my dropouts were coming. Kept asking how i could order more. Kept getting no replys. So i went on social media and forums and started blasting salsa. Suddenly i had a pair of thru axle droupouts in my mailbox and was promised more before the race season started. Well they never came. I sold all my el mariachis and said beep salsa. I know you cant find the left side dropout for 1.75. Because they dont exist and probably never will. Salsa simply doesnt care. This is based on my experience and many others. Im being a prick because you are making up hypothetical situations not dealing with reality november 21 2016 on earth. Reality is they aint making them so you aint buying them.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  15. #15
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    For the life of me can't see where I saw the damn thing.

    If we can't get thru axles beyond buying the highest end bikes they offer (if even possible then) though they advertise them as having the ability to change then Salsa lost me as a customer, when i was just debating on buying a new fat bike.... Not paying $2k for a bike I can't make use of my new wheels in thru axle form

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    For the life of me can't see where I saw the damn thing.

    If we can't get thru axles beyond buying the highest end bikes they offer (if even possible then) though they advertise them as having the ability to change then Salsa lost me as a customer, when i was just debating on buying a new fat bike.... Not paying $2k for a bike I can't make use of my new wheels in thru axle form

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    Ding ding ding ding. You finally understand. Dont tell me how sweet my salsa is cause it can be converted to thru axle and then i cant the parts to do that. Selling me a dream not reality

    Unlike you i actually bought the bike then got the disappointment. Turned me off the brand. Plus ive seen so many broken salsa frames lately i wouldnt even ridea free one

    They do exist. I had a set. One set. For 5 frames

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  17. #17
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    Well I did find a way around it possibly. But ffs I can't find the link for the left side (and it didn't say stock status so making it harder)

    Unless dt Swiss uses an axle that's not actually 12x142 (which I doubt) there is a fix. The fat bike drop out kits and the dt makes a 12x142 axle in 1.5 pitch. But gotta be careful cause they are making them in 1.0 pitch too.

    Now what I can't figure out is besides thread pitch what is the difference between maxle and the dt axles (besides each has their own locking design)???

    Drop outs are axle specific, hubs are standard specific. 12x142 to my understanding doesn't matter the hub manufacturer, axle just has to match dropout. So say a hope hub for instance in 12x142 should fit any frame with 12x142 regardless of axle manufacturer???

    So what am I missing?

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Well I did find a way around it possibly. But ffs I can't find the link for the left side (and it didn't say stock status so making it harder)

    Unless dt Swiss uses an axle that's not actually 12x142 (which I doubt) there is a fix. The fat bike drop out kits and the dt makes a 12x142 axle in 1.5 pitch. But gotta be careful cause they are making them in 1.0 pitch too.

    Now what I can't figure out is besides thread pitch what is the difference between maxle and the dt axles (besides each has their own locking design)???

    Drop outs are axle specific, hubs are standard specific. 12x142 to my understanding doesn't matter the hub manufacturer, axle just has to match dropout. So say a hope hub for instance in 12x142 should fit any frame with 12x142 regardless of axle manufacturer???

    So what am I missing?

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    What are you saying? I cant follow your logic. The left side is not available for sale. You can buy as many right sides in any thread pitch axle standard rohloff geared ss etc. Yes you could buy the fat bike dropouts, take the left side out, buy an axle, buy a right side. What are we up to 350 dollars at this point? Nonsense. I want to be able to order the parts like i should. I even asked them to sell me a left side fat bike nope. So i went off on them until they sent me a set to shut me up. Then my buddy cracked his titanium el mar and they have him a spearfish for warranty. At that point i reevaluated my relationship with salsa. Believe me i flew the salsa flag hard. No more. Salsa is dead. Qbp is in charge. They make 400 dollar aluminum frames now. Not investment steel frames.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  19. #19
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,127
    I see what your getting at. Conversions would be about 200 (140 for dropouts and then an axle which I stumbled on dt axle for pivot bikes)

    Now I don't fly a Salsa flag. If anything it's trek with me. But I have been eyeballing the geared version of the Timberjack. I did get the stache vibe from it that's for sure but stache iirc had to low of a bb with b+ set up. And ss as much fun as I had when I just locked my gears out on my 29er so I was "ss" to push myself, my knee and ankle can't do it for long. I did it on one trail set on my 29er every time I went there. Was fun but was in pain by the end of a lap. And is out "easiest" trails.

    Knowing that Salsa isnt themselves anymore and isnt doing their own thing put them in the "everyone else" category with me now. Not a bad thing but no more of the " hell ya I ride a Salsa" feeling anymore.

    Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    blet drive
    Reputation: JUNGLEKID5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,166
    wow this got deep quick
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: seat_boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,541
    I think we're missing the big question here: why would anyone buy five of the same frame?
    http://www.bikingtoplay.blogspot.com/
    RIGID, not "ridged" or "ridgid"
    PEDAL, not "peddle." Unless you're selling stuff

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BmoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    747
    I'd prefer it in steel. BB seems low and HTA a bit slack. And you can't fit 29+. Maybe I want a Krampus with alternators.

  23. #23
    LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    2,065
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    I think we're missing the big question here: why would anyone buy five of the same frame?
    To have the same bike with different setups. Just like the big question why would anybody pay 5 grand for a crap specialized. Cause they can. I actually had 9 frames at once and 11 sets of wheels. I just got started on mtb last august so needed to find the setup that works for me. A steel el mariachi to beat sworks was my plan. I lived up to my end but Salsa failed. Salsa no longer exists. QBP does. Just maxxis is a marketing name for cheng shen tires, or borealis is a marketing name for chinese ebay.

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: joshhan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    860
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    I actually had 9 frames at once and 11 sets of wheels. I just got started on mtb last august so needed to find the setup that works for me.
    !!!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

  25. #25
    Thatís no moon.
    Reputation: Space Robot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    708
    OP have you thought about a Kona Honzo? I had a Unit which was great that I built from the frame up. The Honzo is slacker and can take a bigger fork. I think they have similar geo as some of their full susp. bikes. Kona frames are around $500.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Krunner44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by cackalacky View Post
    OP have you thought about a Kona Honzo? I had a Unit which was great that I built from the frame up. The Honzo is slacker and can take a bigger fork. I think they have similar geo as some of their full susp. bikes. Kona frames are around $500.
    +1 on looking into the Honzo. I was pleasantly surprised with it. I borrowed one for a race earlier this year, due to similar shenanigans mentioned earlier in the thread trying to find the proper drop-outs for my Salsa Selma Ti to convert it, which turned into a much longer undertaking than I would've liked. I love the Selma, and will continue to update her with the times, however I personally won't be keen to purchase another Salsa. Just my $.02. Best of luck, OP!

  27. #27
    blet drive
    Reputation: JUNGLEKID5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,166
    i have and it looks like a rad bike as well
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,341
    I came here looking for some Timberjack knowledge,, only to find an epic-ly off-topic rant fest.

    @LaneDetroit has a valid point: the conversion from QR plates to 12mm thru-axle requires the unthreaded left plate, and it has been out of stock forever. No amount of right side plates is going to solve the left side problem. Similarly, I've been waiting more than a year for Alternator Reduction Plates. They've been saying "a month or two" for more than a year.

    Salsa's inventory/manufacturing management has been over-the-top bad on some critical items. Clearly they f'ed up on some manufacturing plans. Hopefully that will soon be behind them.

    Can we get back to the Timberjack now?

  29. #29
    blet drive
    Reputation: JUNGLEKID5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,166
    Got to see a timber jack in person and it looks ok I think the woodsmoke would be nicer after looking at them. Although the timberjack is way cheaper.
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

  30. #30
    that guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    I came here looking for some Timberjack knowledge,, only to find an epic-ly off-topic rant fest.

    @LaneDetroit has a valid point: the conversion from QR plates to 12mm thru-axle requires the unthreaded left plate, and it has been out of stock forever. No amount of right side plates is going to solve the left side problem. Similarly, I've been waiting more than a year for Alternator Reduction Plates. They've been saying "a month or two" for more than a year.

    Salsa's inventory/manufacturing management has been over-the-top bad on some critical items. Clearly they f'ed up on some manufacturing plans. Hopefully that will soon be behind them.

    Can we get back to the Timberjack now?
    You're not lying about their supply issues. They recently told my buddy that they won't have any Timberjacks in stock until ~April 2017. He immediately cancelled his order.

    That's no bueno.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: grizzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    429
    My shop managed to snag a complete and sell me the frame, I was about to switch to a Karate Monkey. Only problem is that it came with the 135mm plates. I was able to find 142x12 plates and am now just waiting for the axle...
    Last edited by grizzler; 01-04-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    2019 Salsa Horsethief
    2017 Salsa Timberjack
    2014 Salsa Fargo
    Chips

  32. #32
    blet drive
    Reputation: JUNGLEKID5's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,166
    nice
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Okau genius send me the link to a left side thru axle alternator drop out plate. Youre talking out your ass. I have spent over a year dealing with this. Salsa will tell you its a supply chain problem. They are waiting on the company that makes the alternators to make more. Youre wasting your time posting useless incorrect posts because ive spent over a year going over this. They are more concerned with pushing new models. It has nothing to do with your hypothetical maxle made up reasons. I know the reason. Ive spoken with the top of the top at Salsa. Again, google isnt solving this. A factory in china is

    Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Switch to DT Swiss and use this? https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...g-XRoCA6Pw_wcB

    FWIW, when I converted my Lynskey to t-axle, I bought the Paragon bits to do it. They had a bunch of the DT Swiss parts to make it happen, but none of the Maxle parts (at that time). I switched to DT Swiss and called it a day.

    Also, left side is the unthreaded as I recall, so you could use the left side from the DT Swiss setup to match with a Maxle right side and continue using Maxle.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by paleh0rse View Post
    You're not lying about their supply issues. They recently told my buddy that they won't have any Timberjacks in stock until ~April 2017. He immediately cancelled his order.

    That's no bueno.
    Salsa is notorious for this. A few years ago I was all set to buy a Vaya frame to build my commuter/gravel bike. Looked all over the country, got a few bike shops involved, and came up empty. I ended up on a Soma Double Cross instead.

Similar Threads

  1. Jack Fire Area Open now, Happy Jack Clints Well Area
    By RajunCajun44 in forum Arizona
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2016, 03:13 PM
  2. Timber Wolf (not WTB)
    By flipnidaho in forum Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-10-2013, 10:29 PM
  3. brake jack thread jack
    By usernamehere in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 04:34 PM
  4. big timber, whistler.
    By delirian in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-05-2011, 02:47 AM
  5. Timber Rattler in Ringwood
    By TJD in forum New York - New Jersey
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Members who have read this thread: 10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.