Salsa Selma v. Niner One 9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Salsa Selma v. Niner One 9

Anybody ridden both of these and can make a comparo? Any general insight as well would be great. They are in the same price range and appear to have similar geos - I like the idea of the Carbon stays though to dampen the jarring on the rear end. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i was wondering the same thing. i saw a selma a while back and it was awesome looking and the guy said the carbon back took alot of trail chatter out of riding which is good. i have a small el mar nor and it fits great so i think i might get a selma next. and the paint job on the selma is nice looking but if it is anything like my el mar......it is not the sturdiest. i am also wondering what people think of the difference in ecc bb's? i think i am gonna put a niner carbon fork on the selma which should ride great.

mtbr member
    There are a couple of things that I have noticed and experienced when comparing Niner vs. Salsa. Selma has a longer chainstay and a shorter (all though not by much) ETT where as the Niner has shorter chainstays and a longer ETT. Another important point at least for me is that the seatpost length on the Niner is smaller than on the Salsa so if you are going to be near the max extension on your seatpost this may be an important factor. I hope this is some what helpful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Love my sir 9. The deciding factor for me going with Niner was how they handled the issue with the jet 9. Any company who is willing to stand behind their product like that is a company that I am happy to do business with. Not that another company wouldn't but to me it spoke volumes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I actually have put more thought into this and opted for the SIR 9...comfort is really my priority here and steel is the ticket when it comes to that.

mtbr member
    Just spent way too much time deciding between the One9 and Selma, and reading online input. And just put down my deposit tonight for the .....One9

Decided to go with the One9 for the following reasons:
    • One9 is lighter
    • Seems like Niner has more representation in the bike (frame) world
    • The geometry is more dissimilar from my geared GF Paragon than than Selma
    • When I went in to purchase the Selma at the LBS, three of the folks there had Niner (none said anything bad about the Selma).

That being said, no reason not to choose the Selma; plus, the Selma looks much nicer than the Niner IMO.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wesmeyer11
    I actually have put more thought into this and opted for the SIR 9...comfort is really my priority here and steel is the ticket when it comes to that.
    I'm riding steel right now and it does have a nice "soft" feel BUT I was riding a Salsa Mamasita most of the year and it is a VERY quiet/soft riding bike. Stiff and comfy!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I Ride the Selma, my 3rd SS 29er, test rode a SS niner and it rode great, I went with salsa Selma because of the reviews and looks. I got lucky, the bike is fast and light and hadles so good under high speeds and technical sections. I ride with a group of fast SS guys and could barely keep up on my old steel 29er SS, now on my salsa I'm always at the front, I've gotten in better shape but the Selma handles like it's on rails and accelerates out the turns so well. Either bike will be fine, but when you build up the Selma with the hope blue components it's like having a piece of art in the garage begging to be ridden.

Good luck

Bike is dirty, because I ride!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Selma v. Niner One 9-011.jpg  

Salsa Selma v. Niner One 9-012.jpg  

Last edited by 1speed29; 12-01-2009 at 01:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    "when you build up the Selma with the hope blue components it's like having a piece of art in the garage"

Photo?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    [QUOTE "when you build up the Selma with the hope blue components it's like having a piece of art in the garage"]

Photo?!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wow - sorry for the double post and for the complete lack of observation... rough night.

uh, or something!

you mean

like this ? love the way it rides as well and i'm coming off a gf superfly.....hard to beat that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Salsa Selma v. Niner One 9-salsa-selma-002a.jpg  

Salsa Selma v. Niner One 9-salsa-selma-007a.jpg  

Salsa Selma v. Niner One 9-salsa-selma-016a.jpg  

Salsa Selma v. Niner One 9-salsa-selma-027a.jpg  

Life is a drink and you get drunk.... when you're young.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The chris king stuff looks good! Sweet bike! I'll post better pictures after I clean my bike, I'm just so lazy after working and riding and keeping the wife happy.
    Last edited by 1speed29; 12-02-2009 at 11:31 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    This was an interesting thread for me because I actually considered the niner before deciding on my Selma! I read everything I could find on the web about both frames and honestly, I don't think there is much difference. I think I ended up with the Selma because of the graphics. May not have been a rational thought process, but I love the bike!!! It's light and fast ...and really looks great!!!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mello211
    like this ? love the way it rides as well and i'm coming off a gf superfly.....hard to beat that.
    Oh my, I pitched a tent at work !!!

I'm torn on upgrading to a SS frame. Im currently riding my 08 Cobia as an SS convert with an ETR-B tensoiner. I have a Fox F29 G2 (51mm offset) fork that I plan on swapping over to whatever SS frame I get... That said, my Cobia currently weighs in a little over 24 lbs with aXT775 / Mavic TN719 wheelset, XT cranks, BB7's, bonty CF seatpost, and a bonty RXL stem...

According to sources on a previous post of mine, the Selma frame it self will be a mild weight reduction to what I have currently? Seems it would be a bit lighter in reality...

I am also looking at purchasing a 2010 Rig frameset (includes Fox F80RL) for $899 at LBS... vs the Selma which is the same price for the frame / ebb / seat locker only... Any advice?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    My Selma frame weighs 4.16 lbs. When finished, I hope to have the total weight slightly below 20 pounds.

mtbr member

Lol

I think I just ca.... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mello211 View Post

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love the way my selma climbs, decends, and handles. wouldn't change a thing about it. EBB hasn't been an issue for me. clean, grease, torque properly once a year. I also just put 2.4 racing ralphs on it front and rear.

BUT, they don't make it anymore... so if you break it, might end up with a Titanium selma... would be terrible, lol.

"If it ain't moto, it's worthless"

Trail Junkie
    This may be bringing back an old thread, but people still read these!

Don't let the longer chainstays deter you! They honestly do make this bike a lot more stable while bombing down descents! This bike handles like it is on rails. It is stiff in all the right places and wickedly responsive! The only bike that felt crisper was a Niner Air 9 Carbon, but you are talking about a frame that costs twice as much. I know they stopped making them, but if you are looking at picking one up used like I did, don't second guess yourself. It will seriously surprise you on how well this bike rides! This is by far the best $400 I have ever spent! Feel free to send me a message if you want any information about it. Also, you can run this geared with a hanger swap. You can also run it 2x or 3x system with a clamp on cable stop. I have tried it and it works..but I ride it SS. Its great set up that way!

Ibis Ripley LS
    Intense Spider 29 C
    Cervelo S2
    Trek Boone 5 Disc
    Spech Tricross Expert
    Raleigh RX 1.0

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    love the selma

Members who have read this thread: 0