Salsa Selma EBB performance/noise issue- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Salsa Selma EBB performance/noise issue

Hello,

I recently purchase a Salsa Selma bike, I am having permanent noise issues. I have taken bike to 2 different bike shops and have them inspect, disassemble, clean, and reassemble EBB but nothing seems to work. I have personally tried anti seize, specialty grease, etc. and nothing seems to work. The noise accentuates at the 2PM position when pedaling. I have checked bike frame shell and it looks smooth, so I believe it is the EBB.

I have asked Bushnell to send me a replacement, hopefully they do soon. I canít believe such nice frame would make so much noise at the EBB area.

BTY, I have checked other components/parts for noises, lube, and adjust (i.e. seat, seat-post, stem, etc. etc.) so I have ruled out alternative sources of noise.

See, the issue I have is 1) if I tighten enough the EBB it make heavy noise, if I donít do itÖ..it slips out of position and messes up chain tension. I have so many people play around with EBB assembly and why not, that by now we should have figure it out.

Has someone have the same issues with the Selma bike and/or any other bike using the EBB technology? Is the traditional old school chain tensioner better to use?

Kind of disappointed such nice looking and expensive frame is giving me so many issues. Thanks for any feedback.

aka baycat
    Had an EBB on my Gary Fisher Rig and it made a hell of a noise, like you described.

I used the tape (plumbing?) that was recommended in some past threads within this forum and wrapped my ebb in that. Worked for a bit but then ended up getting a single speed with Paragon Sliders and been happy since. Know that part will not help you.

Have you tried a different EBB, like a Carver or Niner one?

Stayin' Puft
    Well, EBB's do fundamentally suck. What most people have figured out, is to use sliders or some other alternative.

But this sounds suspicious. If you grease the crap out of a Bushnell it is typically pretty good for several months, unless you do a lot of creek crossings and submerge it. I have an El Mariachi which is steel but similar setup, and I have been riding it in snow, and all I have been doing is intermittently tightening it...quiet as the fresh powder it is...

Are you greasing between all of the separate parts in the EBB after a thorough disassembly of the wings, spring, bolts, and wedges with cleaning? Do you have other cranks/cups you can try? Are you SURE it is not the headset/stem/bars/seatpost/pedals/shoecleats/rear-axle-in-dropouts? As in, you either totally replaced or thoroughly doused each of these in some sort of lubricant? You really can't say "ruled out" since by those criteria you also ruled out the ebb. Did you inspect the frame for cracks? Did you tighten the EBB bolt until your 4mm wrench starts to slightly bend in your hand? (Sorry, I don't own a torque wrench so that is my typical gauge.) Creaks are a bummer, hope you get it figured out....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

It must be the EBB

The main reason I believe it is the EBB is b/c after every time I clean and re-grease it becomes quiet for a few rides. Then the sound comes back, specially if ridden in wet or dusty conditions.

Also, If I tighten the EBB all the way, the noise gets worst.....if I don't tight it all the way, no sound BUT the EBB slip out of place and increase chain tension considerably.

Nowadays I spend more time cleaning the EBB than riding the bike. Got a SS because of low maintenance and easy of use.....go figures!!!

Axles of Evil

A couple of things...

Have you contacted Salsa? See what they have to say about the issue. Was the frame new when purchased or are you the second owner? Sounds like a few things could be going on:

A. The EBB shell is either slightly out of spec or deformed. Either from assembly or overtightening of the eccentric.
    B. The EBB shell needs reaming and/or scuffing to increase the friction fit of the eccentric when tightening.
    C. The eccentric unit is not expanding properly or evenly in the EBB shell. Causing improper chain tension when tightened or creaking when overtightened.

Could be any of these or a combination of factors. Hopefully someone smarter than me will chime in with some real help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Brand new frame, I am original owner

It is a brand new frame, I purchased from Speedgoat late last year and finish putting together bike in Jan 2010.

I did emailed Salsa to see what they recommend. I already spent >$200 extra trying to make it work (i.e. taking it to bike shops for re-installation, purchasing specialty greases, anti seize, etc.) plus my personal time.....don't get me wrong, I am learning but at some point in time I have to cut my loses and move on, either fix it soon or get me a geared frame and run a chain tensioner.

I will see what both Salsa and Bushnell have to say. Perhaps they have a tech rep in town that can inspect my bike and figure out how to fix it.

I heard Salsa has great customer service I will keep you posted.

Axles of Evil
    I would contact Speedgoat as well. Those guys are really good, tech and service wise. Salsa, unfortunately, doesn't have roving sales/tech reps. They do have excellent customer service. I would almost guarantee they will want to see the bike/frame in person. So you'll need to be ready to shell out a little more money to ship it to them. Keep us posted what you hear. Between Salsa, Speedgoat, and Bushnell I would hope this gets resolved finally.
    Or you could just sell the frame to me. I ride a medium.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Interesting. I have a Salsa Selma, And I've yet to hear a sound out of the EBB. I've heard all the horror stories about EBB's making noise. But I couldnt pas on the Selma. Keep us posted as to what you find out.

mtbr member

squeeky ebb

Bussnell makes great ebbs, more than likely it not the ebb. Grease every thing, creaks can come from pedal spindals,seat post and other areas. Make sure every thing is greased.

mtbr member
    Selma, Bushnell EBB. No probs at all.

mtbr member
    Lots of solid advice here, but I am going to offer a few alternative ideas that may or may not help you. Creaks can be frustrating, so there is no harm in trying something different.

1) Take apart the whole EBB. Clean it all (again). Take the "shell" in your frame and degrease it all as well and clean the inside of it with some SOS brillo pads.

2) Take some 200 grit sandpaper and lightly "clean up" the outside edge of the shell in your frame and put a slight (I mean slight . . like .5 mm) taper/bevel on the inside of the EBB shell. Wipe the whole shell down with rubbing alcohol.

3) Get some Flitz or any other metal polish and wax the inside of the EBB shell on the frame. Car polish will work too.

4) At this point I would try running it dry (I have had luck on some bikes without regreasing) or lube where you would normally lube it with ProLink Chain Lube instead of grease. Many times grease just pulls dirt in and starts the creaking all over again.
    mountainbikefaq.com - See my 2x10 to 1x10 conversion (lots of pics!)

Members who have read this thread: 0