Saddle Suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Saddle Suggestions

Hey guys, this isn't SS specific but this is the only part of MTBR I frequent.

I am looking for a new more comfortable saddle! Lately I have managed to do the majority of my usual route, which is climbing, seated and the saddle I have is too damn narrow. Too damn narrow is too painful. Unfortunately I have no idea what is available for me. Currently I have a WTB Speed V. On my road bikes I have a Brooks B17 and Specialized Romin 168mm, these are wide and offer the support I need. I don't see any mountain bike saddle that are this wide and I don't want a road saddle because I will likely ruin it the next time I go down.

Here is the bike and ass-hatchet
    Los Angelino looking to escape the clamor.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I rode around on a brooks cambium for a while, it was OK. If you like your b-17 I guess it's the same general concept. Kind of a small "sweet spot" so if you move around a lot in the saddle it might not work. But the thing appears to be darn near indestructible. Heavy as pig iron. Has some sproing to it, kinda nice on a rigid.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I've been riding a ton of gravel on a Cambium C17. It has replaced my B17 due to the slightly narrower width and waterproof material. Seems like a solid bet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If you like the B17 on your road bike, I would think you would like it on your Singlespeed. I run a Brooks Pro on my Singlespeed and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I ride a 143 Romin on the road and 143 Henge on my rigid SS and fatbike. I also like WTB Silverado and use one on my geared HT. That being said nothing beats leather for comfort. My Soma Double Cross commuter has a Selle Anatomica Titanico X.

mtbr member
    Started using a B17 on my SS this year and my arse has never been happier.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Fizik Aliante. It's on 3 of my bikes and would replace the Gobi on the Kona Unit if it came in red. Yes, I am that shallow.

mtbr member
    B17 wont work because my handle bar is too low and the Pro is too narrow. I have wide hips, makes this saddle selection business difficult. There isnt anything wide in the WTB style of construction?

mtbr member
    I have a 155 mm Romin on my Moonlander and 155 mm Avatar on the 29er. They work brilliantly for me on or off the road.

Saving lives with knives.
    Max

I know it says road/tri... but I love these saddles. I've been running them years and they wear like iron.
    Formerly known as iceaxe

mtbr member
    Try a C17 if you can, the rails are slightly longer, but at heart it's a rubber B17. I don't really understand your comment about the B17 not working because your bars are too low. Do you have pain, would a cutout saddle be an option? I see your seatpost is rather tall, do you have long legs and a short torso? I've ridden a B17 on a frame too small before and haven't had issues, it wasn't ideal but it wasn't particularly uncomfortable either. Since it's a SS, stand and mash?
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    If you like the Romin on your road bike, why not get one for your mtb? I run a toupe on my ss. I've gone down on it before and it's been fine. If you're worried about the durability, you could look at either the Specialized Phenom or their new Power saddle. Both have a similar shape to the romin (dropped nose, turned up tail). Both are listed on Specialized's site under mtb saddles, so they should be able to handle some beating

SS Pusher Man
    It's a SS.....doesn't matter, you are standing most of the time anyway.

Sorry, someone had to say it.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.

Ebikes are not bicycles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post

Nope. Not with 30/18! Lol. I sit all day!
    CRAMBA Chairman

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Lots of choices out there and each butt is different, so try before you buy if you can. One very different saddle is a Cobb JOF Randee JOF Randee. It's a ton wider than it looks in the picture. They have a 90 day comfort guarantee.

I've been demoing one on my cyclocross bike and just ordered one. It passed the final test, which was a 6 hour gravel grinder ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I don't really understand your comment about the B17 not working because your bars are too low.
    I have tried it on other bikes with a the bar as low as on my Kona and the B17 rubs my thighs in that position. It works brilliant on my Surly Straggler where I have my bar almost level with the saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by eness215 View Post
    If you like the Romin on your road bike, why not get one for your mtb? I run a toupe on my ss. I've gone down on it before and it's been fine. If you're worried about the durability, you could look at either the Specialized Phenom or their new Power saddle. Both have a similar shape to the romin (dropped nose, turned up tail). Both are listed on Specialized's site under mtb saddles, so they should be able to handle some beating
    I have used my Romin on this bike, I went down and the side got all shredded so now it lives on my road bike. Thanks for the tip, the Power Comp looks like a good candidate! Gotta find a shop that will let me demo it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post

As I said, lately I have been able to get up and over the canyons here seated. My saddle was fine before when I would switch between standing and sitting all the time. Now I don't have to switch as much and the saddle isn't working for me anymore.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Saddle Suggestions

Most shops allow for Demo's. Your best bet is to get with them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Yeah the C17 is "grabby," thigh rub won't be pleasant.

Now... that is a steel fork, right? Doesn't surprise me you're in the saddle on an ss, that's a matter of gearing and terrain. But on a rigid, wow.

Have you looked at the Tioga Spyder Outland?

mtbr member
    I have the Crankbrothers Iodine 2 saddle on all my bikes and absolutely love it.

http://www.crankbrothers.com/product/iodine-2-saddle

You can also swap out the steel rails for TI or CroMo, for an added cost.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post

Now... that is a steel fork, right? Doesn't surprise me you're in the saddle on an ss, that's a matter of gearing and terrain. But on a rigid, wow.

Have you looked at the Tioga Spyder Outland?
    Seat just on the long sustained climb, steep as it may be at times. I'm not sitting on the descents. I will check out the Tioga

Quote Originally Posted by t3mplar View Post
    I have the Crankbrothers Iodine 2 saddle on all my bikes and absolutely love it.

http://www.crankbrothers.com/product/iodine-2-saddle

You can also swap out the steel rails for TI or CroMo, for an added cost.
    Just as narrow as everything else I'm finding.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Fizik Aliante XM is a nice wide one to roost on.

Make sure it's the XM model, it's a different shape in my opinion. And wider than regular Aliante.
    Pedal through it!

Pedal through the Pain
    May 2008
    For the first few years of riding, I used a 130 width for both my road and mtn bikes. One day, I went into the LBS to buy a new Specialized Phenom and the shop pro measured my sit bones. It was easy, I just sat on a box and the bright red spots showed off my ischiums. It was amazing how much better a 143 feels! My bottom has never felt better all thanks to my LBS. I always use either Phenoms or Henges, they work great for me.

mtbr member
    That's how I ended up with a Romin 168mm.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gsteitz View Post
    Fizik Aliante XM is a nice wide one to roost on.

Make sure it's the XM model, it's a different shape in my opinion. And wider than regular Aliante.
    I've got Aliante Gamma XM, XM and S saddles and they all feel about the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaDave View Post
    I would just like to say I've not experienced this myself and I don't bike in Speedos.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

psycho cyclo addict
    While it is true that one sits less of the time when riding a single speed, over the course of a long ride (50+ miles) there are times when I sit and pedal.

I started with a Brooks B17 in the 1990's. Since then I can sit on anything from an upside down railroad spike (super weight weenie saddle) to big an cushy one. One of my MTB's has a Selle Italia road saddle (and carbon post for that matter) which is holding up just fine. The other two 29er's I ride have MTB specific saddles (Selle Italia SLR and Morgaw Trian).

The main thing you should focus on is getting a proper width saddle based on sit bone measurement- for example, How to Measure Sit Bone Width For Bicycle Saddle Selection
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

openwound
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    ...snip

The main thing you should focus on is getting a proper width saddle based on sit bone measurement- for example, How to Measure Sit Bone Width For Bicycle Saddle Selection
    This...

There are so many saddles to choose from it's nuts. Focus on what fits your sit-bones.

I have a relatively inexpensive Bongloader on all of my off-road bikes because it fits my body really well.

I'd rather focus on losing some weight off of my body than compromising on saddle comfort.

ymmv
    -- let's ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by eness215 View Post
    I've ridden years on the road, with Toupe. Great.

I broke stock saddle on my mtb. I had an old Toupe that had a cracked creaking shell so I put it on. It worked, I did several weeks and many miles, but it was pretty harsh.
    I swapped to the old junk squish saddle that came stock on one of my roadies and it's been pretty good... too much squish but good.

Is the Henge close the Toupe but more durable for MTB? Or is that the Phenom. I can't tell

Considering a 143 Expert with the l2 padding. Though the PRO carbon version with everything solidly bonded looks more durable...

mtbr member
    Check out Ergon. There are some smoking hot deals on Amazon now. Also recognize that various saddle models of the same overall width may be optimized for different sit bone witdths. Not the same measurement.

MMS
    mtbr member
    I'm happy with my WTB Pure V
    I'm having more FUN than anybody!

Shift less, Pedal more.
    Phenom with Ti rails.

I have a 5 year old on my 2010 SS and it looks new. Over 3500 miles on this one.

I love the Phenom's so much, I just picked up a 2015 one. Doesn't look like much, but it sure is comfy. I like the new low friction material they use on the seat. I bet this one will last more than 5 years as well.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I would just like to say I've not experienced this myself and I don't bike in Speedos.
    So you didn't do triathlon in the 90's.

Still have my Cima Speedo's with chamois.
    Only wear them for "special" occasions now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edubfromktown View Post
    Yep, that's why I asked about wide saddles and mentioned my B17 and Romin 168mm.

It looks like Specialized is my best option with the Power in 168mm width. I'm just a little hesitant on Specialized because I had to warranty replace my Romin several times because the rails kept separating from the saddle body, but that was a couple years ago.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I have a speed v that's too wide. I'll sell it for cheap, trade ya for another saddle, parts, etc. Shoot me a pm if interested. If I recall correctly, this one has a small tear that is only cosmetic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm using the 66-Sick Especial Libre. I have the 144 mm and it fits my big rear. Super wide and super comfy. Highly recommended, but it is a bit bright and garish. Fortunately that is my thing.