mtbr member
    Jan 2012

rusted up bike, trying to restore

I have a rusted up mountain bike, I want to try to make it into a fixed gear, but im not quite sure what makes it coast. people have been suggesting i try the tomicog but before i got spend money on one i want to make sure that it will work.
    any help would be very much appreciated, but if your going to just post about how i need to just google it dont bother cause ive tried and thats why im coming here to people who have already done it

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Fixed gears don't coast.

There are 2 types of single speed bikes, those that use a freewheeling mechanism (like a BMX) and those that do not coast (called "fixed") like a velodrome bike.

A Tomicog converts a disc hub to a fixed gear. If you want to coast, then that's not for you.

In the previous thread, you were advised the difference between fixed and freewheel. You were given some useful links.

At risk of you getting uptight, there is plenty of info on google about setting up singlespeeds. We're here to help but we're not your research assistants.

Firstly, and this is fundamental to us being able to help you, we need to know what you have and what you want to acheive.

What is your bike, how many gears, what is the rear hub?

And do want it to be able to coast? Then that's NOT a fixed gear.

If you have a cassette hub, you can get a sprocket (either aftermarket or by pulling apart a cassette) and some spacers and set it up. If you have a hub which takes a screw on gear cluster, you can replace it with a BMX freewheel.

Do you have vertical dropouts or semi-horizontal dropouts? You might need a chain tensioner.

A good ratio to start is 2:1. ie, 32/16, 34/17, 36:18 depending on what chainrings you have, how mountainous your riding area is and how strong you are.

Start thinking about these things, provide some answers (or even pics of the bike) and we can all get you headed in the right direction.

Until you answer these questions (and in fairness to me because I'm awesome, I have stated in the previous thread that this information is critical), we'll assume you're trolling and this thread has reached its logical conclusion.

Help us to help you.

Grumps

AZ
    banned
    In order for a Tomicog to work you need a disc brake wheel. The Tomicog replaces the brake disc and becomes the drive on your rear wheel. In doing this your bicycle becomes a fixed gear bike and no longer will coast without the cranks turning. Could you possibly post some pics of your bike so that we might be able to determine what method of chain tension would be the most appropriate for you? If not do you know what kind of bike it is, how old is it? Does it have horizontal drop outs, semi horizontal, track ends or vertical dropouts?

Edit: Grumpy beat me to it. Like he posted, answer all the questions so we can help you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    hey
    i have to have 10 posts in order to post links
    this is my 10th post so as soon as i get this up ill reply with all my pics i took a few minuets ago to try to help

one chain loop
    i'm kinda excited to see this..
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grumpy View Post
    Fixed gears don't coast.

There are 2 types of single speed bikes, those that use a freewheeling mechanism (like a BMX) and those that do not coast (called "fixed") like a velodrome bike.

A Tomicog converts a disc hub to a fixed gear. If you want to coast, then that's not for you.

In the previous thread, you were advised the difference between fixed and freewheel. You were given some useful links.

At risk of you getting uptight, there is plenty of info on google about setting up singlespeeds. We're here to help but we're not your research assistants.

Firstly, and this is fundamental to us being able to help you, we need to know what you have and what you want to acheive.

What is your bike, how many gears, what is the rear hub?

And do want it to be able to coast? Then that's NOT a fixed gear.

If you have a cassette hub, you can get a sprocket (either aftermarket or by pulling apart a cassette) and some spacers and set it up. If you have a hub which takes a screw on gear cluster, you can replace it with a BMX freewheel.

Do you have vertical dropouts or semi-horizontal dropouts? You might need a chain tensioner.

A good ratio to start is 2:1. ie, 32/16, 34/17, 36:18 depending on what chainrings you have, how mountainous your riding area is and how strong you are.

Start thinking about these things, provide some answers (or even pics of the bike) and we can all get you headed in the right direction.

Until you answer these questions (and in fairness to me because I'm awesome, I have stated in the previous thread that this information is critical), we'll assume you're trolling and this thread has reached its logical conclusion.

Help us to help you.

Grumps

the hub is a no name hub it just came with the bike from walmart so its not anything special. i think its called a free wheel cause it coasts
    i dont know what the brakes are called but it doesn't really matter because they are rusted shut so have to come off anyways.( one of the reasons why i want a fixed gear so i can just brake myself instead of buying all new brakes and everything)
    the cassete is 4 gears open and 1 in "use" its a 5 gear cassete.
    i have a tensioner but im going to take it off if you are able to help me figure out what all i have to do
    haha
    i think i answered them all but ill take a second look here in a second after i post this
    Last edited by oud25; 01-05-2012 at 08:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    sorry for the pictures not working im trying to figure out why they arent working....
    Last edited by oud25; 01-05-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: pictures didnt work

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

mtbr member
    what brand/model is the bike? can you host the photos on photobucket or flickr or something?

if this is a very cheap department store type bike, and you're not going to want to hear this but I will say it anyways, don't waste your time. i work with a bike co-op and 99% of the department store bikes go to the scrap yard because they are worth more to us as recycled metal than they are as rideable bikes. you can try to make it work but mark my words, trying to make a department store bike survive and perform remotely well on trails is just a waste of time. you can learn the hard way, or you can save yourself a lot of time, money, injuries, and sanity and don't do it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    what brand/model is the bike? can you host the photos on photobucket or flickr or something?
    i got them to work so im going to just repost them and the brand is im guessing mt. fury?

mtbr member
    ok, just saw the photo. can you post photos of the whole bike?

judging by that photo, you have a bike that is very, very cheap, very, very old, or both cheap and old. either way, don't say I didn't warn you about the amount of time you are about to waste.

AZ
    banned
    That is an interesting hub and spacer arrangement. 126 hub in a 135 frame perhaps?

mtbr member
    Roadmaster MT Fury Bicycles this bike? retail price: $80 and you get what you pay for!

Mt Fury is a roadmaster aka walmart crap. If I had that bike, i would not give it away to my worst enemy. I am not a bike snob. at least, I am not a severe one. I think there is a lot of value in a decent old or cheap bike. those Roadmasters, however, are the WORST kind of crap. sorry to burst your bubble. the frames are incredibly flimsy. i would never suggest, for your own safety, that you ride that bike off-road at all, let alone with a fixed-gear setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    at the time it was 100 bucks so it was cheap but it was a chunk of change.
    the frame is fine from what i can see
    but if i did want to convert it what parts would i need to start with so i can look for some cheap parts.

one chain loop
    i agree with mack here, not worth the time and money. i don't think there is a single part there that is worth saving too, okay maybe the tires and tubes.

i would suggest to look for an old decent complete mountain bike from the 90's and start from there.

AZ
    banned
    I would strongly suggest that you find another more suitable bike to start with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Roadmaster MT Fury Bicycles this bike? retail price: $80 and you get what you pay for!

Mt Fury is a roadmaster aka walmart crap. If I had that bike, i would not give it away to my worst enemy. I am not a bike snob. at least, I am not a severe one. I think there is a lot of value in a decent old or cheap bike. those Roadmasters, however, are the WORST kind of crap. sorry to burst your bubble. the frames are incredibly flimsy. i would never suggest, for your own safety, that you ride that bike off-road at all, let alone with a fixed-gear setup.
    :/ well that sucks
    but i havet really gone off roading and i wont be going climbing with it i was just going to go around town with it. but if its as bad as you say then i dont really trust it either
    haha.
    ill keep a look out on craigslist though for sure. im just not sure if there is anywhere around here that will take it in its condition besides a junk yard in which case id have to pay to dump it anyways

mtbr member
    it would be easy to convert it to a single-speed (coasting, not fixed).

1. remove the derailleurs, shifters, and cables. the dropouts will allow some room to slide the axle back to tighten the chain.
    2. using a bicycle chain tool, remove the chain.
    3. wrap the chain around the middle front chainring and the cog of your choice on the rear freewheel. note the length of the chain that will reach and shorten the chain accordingly by removing links. re-attach the chain using a master link.
    4. pull the rear wheel back in the dropout slots so that they chain is tight and the wheel is centered in the frame. tighten the axle nuts.

ta da! you have a single-speed mountain bike.

that said, I truly think that is all the effort that is worth putting into that bike. I have worked on a lot of bikes for a lot of thick-headed people who could not understand that their crappy bikes were not worth pouring hundreds of dollars into to keep replacing all the broken parts. this is one of those situations.

making this bike a "fixie" is out of the question not worth it. for your own safety, i won't encourage you with any further information. the frame is not "fine," it's junk. what you are doing is like taking a Power Wheels kids' electric car and taking it to a demolition derby with a bunch of pickup trucks. it will be pathetically destructive and painful for all involved. please get a decent proper bike before you hurt yourself.

if you want to see how this will turn out, go read this thread- http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-free...ke-625231.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek View Post
    i agree with mack here, not worth the time and money. i don't think there is a single part there that is worth saving too, okay maybe the tires and tubes.

i would suggest to look for an old decent complete mountain bike from the 90's and start from there.
    haha actually the tires have been flat for like a year and a half and been sitting so they are creased so those are shot too and the back intertube has been blown and replaced and bubbled like 8 times haha
    so from what you guys are saying is dont buy anything new for it
    so what if i took the cassete apart and used a single gear, got a new set of tires with a better hub to make it fixed so that when i upgrade my bike i can replace those onto it too?
    what kind of hub should i get that would be cheap.
    haha

one chain loop
    just don't waste any time on it kyle. the rear hub you have is a threaded cassette, you can still bust it open (good luck) but its not for beginners level.

one chain loop
    if you want to see how this will turn out, go read this thread- http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-free...ke-625231.html
    that was a good read, i should go visit other forum topics more often.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    so what would you guys suggest i get as a very cheap bike to work on?
    cause i was going to do this to just work on it and do something to try to keep busy. ill probably still work on it just to try to learn about the bike but as far as riding it around and putting more money into it i was already iffy about... and you guys proved my fears

mtbr member
    here are the parts you should buy to upgrade the current one:
    1. a new bike.

i know we all sound like a bunch of bike snobs to you, but this is for your own good. everything about that bike is a waste of time. you can buy a nice new bike for $600-800, or spend $1600 replacing every single part on that bike one at a time. if you replace the hub, you will need spokes, a rim, a rim strip, tire, tube, and pay someone to lace it all up: $300. when you go to replace the cranks, you will have a very hard time getting a threaded bottom bracket to fit in a frame with an American BB shell, so you will need some weird adapters or a new frame. you will need a new fork, stem, and headset to go with that frame because the 1" threaded headset/fork/stem on your bike will not be compatible. you will need a new seatpost to go with the new frame too. you at least need a front brake if you want to make this a fixed-gear, so add that in. while you're at it now, you might as well add a matching front wheel for the rear, along with a tire... you see where I am going with this? none of the parts on your current bike will work on modern bike technology. hell, that bike was at least two decades out of date when it was new!

go get a decent used mtb from the 90s or so, something made by a reputable brand like Trek, Specialized, Diamondback, Gary Fisher, Kona, etc. you can pick one up for under $150 on Craigslist. make sure it's a good size for you and make sure it has a freehub and cassette on the rear wheel and not a freewheel. there's a big difference. then buy a single-speed conversion kit with spacers, cogs, and a tensioner.

is there a bicycle co-op near where you live? try google for "bicycle co-op" near your zip code. they will help you out a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    here are the parts you should buy to upgrade the current one:
    1. a new bike.

i know we all sound like a bunch of bike snobs to you, but this is for your own good. everything about that bike is a waste of time. you can buy a nice new bike for $600-800, or spend $1600 replacing every single part on that bike one at a time. if you replace the hub, you will need spokes, a rim, a rim strip, tire, tube, and pay someone to lace it all up: $300. when you go to replace the cranks, you will have a very hard time getting a threaded bottom bracket to fit in a frame with an American BB shell, so you will need some weird adapters or a new frame. you will need a new fork, stem, and headset to go with that frame because the 1" threaded headset/fork/stem on your bike will not be compatible. you will need a new seatpost to go with the new frame too. you at least need a front brake if you want to make this a fixed-gear, so add that in. while you're at it now, you might as well add a matching front wheel for the rear, along with a tire... you see where I am going with this? none of the parts on your current bike will work on modern bike technology. hell, that bike was at least two decades out of date when it was new!
    you dont sound snobby, you actually know what you are talking about. but i have a extremlyyyyyy limited budget so just get a good shape older bike where it was actually built with a little bit of quality and then go from there?
    actually my gfs dad has a welder i might go buy some new tubing and just cut the fork tube and the bottom thing and the back things and weld up a new frame which would actually be safer than this thing (still not safe though)

one chain loop
    Quote Originally Posted by oud25 View Post
    actually my gfs dad has a welder i might go buy some new tubing and just cut the fork tube and the bottom thing and the back things and weld up a new frame which would actually be safer than this thing (still not safe though)
    please don't do that, i hope you are kidding.

Gamers local 2112
    Jul 2009

Hey man I won a race on a huffy The Klunker Run Mountain Bike Rally - YouTube, dept store bikes are important to get people into cycling. Any bike that gets ridden is a good bike in my book.

That chain looks pretty rusty, I'd say replace it. If the freewheel is not spinning, put some spray lube between the biggest gear of the gear set and the hub and then crank the cranks as hard as you can for a while, that usually breaks it loose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    please don't do that, i hope you are kidding.
    haha yes i was kidding, i dont trust my welding to that extent, if i did i would do it but mine are crap

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rev106 View Post
    Hey man I won a race on a huffy The Klunker Run Mountain Bike Rally - YouTube, dept store bikes are important to get people into cycling. Any bike that gets ridden is a good bike in my book.

That chain looks pretty rusty, I'd say replace it. If the freewheel is not spinning, put some spray lube between the biggest gear of the gear set and the hub and then crank the cranks as hard as you can for a while, that usually breaks it loose.
    they are extremely important just mine is old, and probably could be taken away for health hazard
    haha
    but the wheel turns its just that the chain is literally rusted frozen into that place haha
    so i might try to get into a roller and throw some new pain on it and try to sell it or something till i can upgrade to one that wont potentially kill me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Don't waste your time or money. Seriously, save up and buy a new bike. What is your budget?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Don't waste your time or money. Seriously, save up and buy a new bike. What is your budget?
    minimal. haha
    i dont want to say where but i (not exagerating) am in the worst place in this finacial crap. out of high school in 2010 and no previous experience and now no financial aid or degree so i have some in the bank but need to save it cause thats all i have and if i have an emergency then im screwed. so im going to save any money i get for my birthday and etc. but wont be much
    haha i know im going to get atleast 20 bucks maybe more so like bare bones:/

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i think i am going to learn what i can about bikes from this one but not pour any money into it and save my money and buy a next mountain bike, they are decent. thats what ive been using (my dads) and its nice. strong aluminium frame and decent tires. good brakes but i need to redo the brake cable it came loose cause i tried to make it stronger and i didnt tighten the screw enough

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    this is an amazing thread.

mtbr member
    I don't appreciate that you are ignoring a lot of good advice in here and not answering key questions that could help you a lot.

1. is there a bicycle co-op near where you live? if you're too lazy to look it up yourself, where about do you live?

2. there is NO WAY that you are doing to make anything on the Mt Fury worth riding. just drop it. do yourself a favor and take it to a scrap yard. if you get $1 for the steel, that's really all this bike is worth.

3. get some money. you have to pay to play. if you can scrape together $100, you can probably get an old bike that is worth converting. or if you're lucky, you will find someone who is willing to give you something cheaper. again, a bike co-op will be very helpful in this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Forget these guys, don't listen to them! Throw some oil on that chain, loosen up your brakes and enter a downhill race with this fine ride! Better yet, line up next to lance at the next leadville 100, or do the great divide.... Man this bike will TAKE you places....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I don't appreciate that you are ignoring a lot of good advice in here and not answering key questions that could help you a lot.

1. is there a bicycle co-op near where you live? if you're too lazy to look it up yourself, where about do you live?

2. there is NO WAY that you are doing to make anything on the Mt Fury worth riding. just drop it. do yourself a favor and take it to a scrap yard. if you get $1 for the steel, that's really all this bike is worth.

3. get some money. you have to pay to play. if you can scrape together $100, you can probably get an old bike that is worth converting. or if you're lucky, you will find someone who is willing to give you something cheaper. again, a bike co-op will be very helpful in this.
    i didnt say i was going to ride it, i just want to learn how to take everything apart before i get a good bike and try to do something to it.
    there is not a bike coop where i am but i check online for one around my area every other week

mtbr member
    this should be a good bike for learning then. everyone needs a "donor" bike that has died and given its live to science.

where do you live?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    this should be a good bike for learning then. everyone needs a "donor" bike that has died and given its live to science.

where do you live?
    a little run down town in michigan

mtbr member
    not helpful, nevermind.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    not helpful, nevermind.
    i know i just dont want to give out my town openly. ive looked and we dont have any co ops that i have found and ive been looking

Bro Mountainbiker
    Sweet fixie brah! Need some cowhorns and an aerospoke!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    $300 for a 1200g wheel. one wheel lol
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    Sweet fixie brah! Need some cowhorns and an aerospoke!
    i think this one is just scrap but i dont want to get an aerospoke. its a 300 dollar wheel haha

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    i mean i want it to be salvaged and stuff but it was a cheap bike to start with and i just got the brake off and the frame is starting to rust a little and it wasnt a strong frame to start with.
    i would love to have a fixie but right now its kinda out of the picture for this one definitely

Beer is my spirit animal
    I wonder why you're so interested in going fixed in the first place, especially considering that you think one of the benefits is being able to brake WITHOUT brakes. That's not exactly how it works, and while you might have seen all the hipster fixie kids riding without brakes, those are also the kids that end up pancaked under the very heavy, very unforgiving wheels of the vehicles that they're sharing the road with. Even the guy who makes the Tomicog recommends a front brake at all times (especially if you're not trail riding, but riding in a CITY WITH CARS), so I think you may be a little off base in wanting to go fixed for that reason. Whatever you do, don't do it with that bike. And check out Sheldon Brown's website, because that database alone could have probably answered every question you've asked.
    “I don't believe anything, but I have many suspicions.”
    ― Robert Anton Wilson

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinnyspinspin View Post
    I wonder why you're so interested in going fixed in the first place, especially considering that you think one of the benefits is being able to brake WITHOUT brakes. That's not exactly how it works, and while you might have seen all the hipster fixie kids riding without brakes, those are also the kids that end up pancaked under the very heavy, very unforgiving wheels of the vehicles that they're sharing the road with. Even the guy who makes the Tomicog recommends a front brake at all times (especially if you're not trail riding, but riding in a CITY WITH CARS), so I think you may be a little off base in wanting to go fixed for that reason. Whatever you do, don't do it with that bike. And check out Sheldon Brown's website, because that database alone could have probably answered every question you've asked.
    i read some of his stuff and it didnt help cause it confused me
    and the reason i want a fixed is u dont have to do much maintanence
    i know u need front brakes because the way u stop is skidding so yes you need a front brake too just in case.
    and i know not to do it with this bike because i was told by a few people up a little that this frame isnt a good frame thank you for your concern though
    i am going to save my money and get a better bike

mtbr member
    getting a fixed-gear off road bike as your first mountain bike is kind of putting the cart before the horse. get a normal mountain bike or a regular single-speed bike first. riding fixed is Jedi level shenanigans.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    getting a fixed-gear off road bike as your first mountain bike is kind of putting the cart before the horse. get a normal mountain bike or a regular single-speed bike first. riding fixed is Jedi level shenanigans.
    i know
    the reason i wanted to fix this one was just for pure simplicity, im looking at the next parowan at walmart, its super super cheap but its a new mountain bike and next frames have been strong in my experience so i think that is a great start personally. atleast its way better than the one i have

Gotta pay to play
    i mean i want it to be salvaged and stuff but it was a cheap bike to start with and i just got the brake off and the frame is starting to rust a little and it wasnt a strong frame to start with.
    i would love to have a fixie but right now its kinda out of the picture for this one definitely
    Not to slam too hard on you Oud25- but you seem to have this odd sense of entitlement about mountain biking. Maybe it is more of a culture thing or maybe you are just young.

What it comes down to is that you have to pay to play. Yeah, you can get a POS free bike but you are going to risk injury- which in the end will probably cost you more money. Or, as other has said, you'll spend so much money on that POS that you might of well of just bought a new bike.

A decent, safe for the outdoors, bike that will last for a few years is going to cost you at least $400 +. Then you have to factor in other equipment like a helmet and gloves.

If you can't afford that then put bike riding on the shelf for a bit, save some money, and come back. The trails will still be here.

AZ
    banned
    OP,you might think about putting up an ad on CL offering to trade labor for a mtb. You might be surprised by the results. Just a thought.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    i know
    the reason i wanted to fix this one was just for pure simplicity, im looking at the next parowan at walmart, its super super cheap but its a new mountain bike and next frames have been strong in my experience so i think that is a great start personally. atleast its way better than the one i have
    Yeah, go for it. The Next Parowan is really something. Not.

Next Parowan

I applaud you for wanting to get into riding more.

Don't think you need the best kit to get started, you don't. But you need something that will withstand the sort of thing your excitement for the sport might have you doing, such as trail rides with the odd dropoff where a fork that won't fold up is useful, or a downhill fire road where decent brakes are a must.

That first bike you showed is not worth it. If I only had one reason to offer as to why, it's this: those brakes are garbage pressed steel junk that will not stop you and the bike does not have mounts to put on a v-brake.

By all means clean it up and use it as a learning tool. Education can't hurt, surely.

And as for the Next, it's basically the same POS as the first waste of steel you posted up. Same crap brakes etc.

Just go to a bike shop and talk to the people there about options, second hand bikes etc.

Hell, get your parents on here so we can explain it to them, in case none of this is sinking in to you.

Grumps

one chain loop
    you will learn some but not a whole lot on that bike. keep in mind that what you learn on that bike is not applicable to the present day mountain bike. well not exactly, you will learn that the pedal threads are different on each side. that's about it.

now that i told you about it, forget learning and start saving.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Yeah, go for it. The Next Parowan is really something. Not.

Next Parowan

I applaud you for wanting to get into riding more.

Don't think you need the best kit to get started, you don't. But you need something that will withstand the sort of thing your excitement for the sport might have you doing, such as trail rides with the odd dropoff where a fork that won't fold up is useful, or a downhill fire road where decent brakes are a must.

That first bike you showed is not worth it. If I only had one reason to offer as to why, it's this: those brakes are garbage pressed steel junk that will not stop you and the bike does not have mounts to put on a v-brake.

By all means clean it up and use it as a learning tool. Education can't hurt, surely.

And as for the Next, it's basically the same POS as the first waste of steel you posted up. Same crap brakes etc.

Just go to a bike shop and talk to the people there about options, second hand bikes etc.

Hell, get your parents on here so we can explain it to them, in case none of this is sinking in to you.

Grumps
    i know exactly what you are saying but they wont buy me a new one haha, not only that i want to get one on my own. they have bought me everything in my life so far apart for a very few small things, so i want to try to get one on my own to actually feel acomplished and where i am at there arent any bike shops there is walmart thats why i was looking at the cheap one cause i mean its walmart so i dont want to pay 200 bucks for a piece of crap when i can spend 50 bucks and get a piece of crap to just ride around.
    i mean im not going to be going fast or throwing it down mountains, or climbing, or even freestyling. all i want to do is get a cheap bike to tide me over for a while till i can actually get a good one. all i want right now is a cheap one to get me from a to b, i dont need special suspension or 300 dollar wheels or ceramic breaks or anything like that. right now i just want a cheap bike that will get me from point a to b but i need a mountain bike because i am a big build and little 700c bikes scare me. they just look too thin and flimsy even though they are strong (depending if you buy a quality one)
    the next brand has dont great for what we need it to do. they have good frames. ill admit that the brakes are lacking but they stop great for just going in town or on a path. im not doing extreme stuff just going a few miles on semi level roads some gravel so i think that the next bike would do fine for now until i can get enough money to buy one that wont fall apart when it looks at a hill

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I've found a 1990's Giant Yukon at a garage sale for $10... Bought it, fixed it up, then sold it for a small profit. I also got a 90's Specialized Rockhopper (I think) for $15. Added new tires, tubes, brake pads and a seat, and gave it to a friend who was risking his life riding with me on a department store bike.
    There are cheap quality bikes out there if you look hard. Hit Goodwills, garage sales, auctions, etc...
    I've also picked up countless Bike shop quality bikes for my kids and friends kids. Treks, Specialized, Gary Fishers, Giants... All for "to cheap to pass up" prices. My wife calls me "The bike rescuer"

But honestly, if you just want to putt around town, any bike will do. Just don't put any time into modifying it, or it'll more than likely end up being worse than it was. I found out the hard way that Walmart Mongoose bikes have very few parts that are replaceable by standard parts that fit every other bike shop quality bike. Very hard to swap parts on it, even if it just because they wear out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by indianadave View Post
    I've found a 1990's Giant Yukon at a garage sale for $10... Bought it, fixed it up, then sold it for a small profit. I also got a 90's Specialized Rockhopper (I think) for $15. Added new tires, tubes, brake pads and a seat, and gave it to a friend who was risking his life riding with me on a department store bike.
    There are cheap quality bikes out there if you look hard. Hit Goodwills, garage sales, auctions, etc...
    I've also picked up countless Bike shop quality bikes for my kids and friends kids. Treks, Specialized, Gary Fishers, Giants... All for "to cheap to pass up" prices. My wife calls me "The bike rescuer"
    i found a couple of 700c (not name brand that i know of) for like 5 bucks a piece up here a few months ago but the chain was snapped and the tubes were popped so i didnt bother with them cause i didnt (and dont) have a chain tool or spare tubes
    i wish i could get a great bike like those up here but the economy is so bad that if you have a bike they usually use them unless they are like mine and not able to be salvaged without puting out tons of money

mtbr member
    ah, blame the "economy." I suggest you get off the internet and start cruising craigslist, thrift stores, estate sales, etc. if all you want is a simple bike to ride around the neighborhood: a) you are on the wrong forum to ask about stuff like that because this is generally about mountain biking and b) just buy a granny beach cruiser bike.

if you are like me, and a lot of people I have met over the years, you will get a crappy bike going and start tooling around a park and greenway trails, then that little path in the woods will start calling your name. you will try it once or twice on your crappy bike and get hooked. then nothing will stop you from getting a better bike. not "the economy," not the lack of bike shops, the lack of tools, or your own stubbornness. you will start selling stuff, working odd jobs, obsessing over craigslist, driving to different cities across the state... anything to get a suitable bike. I think you can do it, just stop whining about not having money or choices and start doing something about it. if you can't get a suitable bike, you have no one to blame but yourself.

often the best resource is another cyclist. there is very likely a chapter of IMBA near where you live. look them up and connect with someone who will have some idea how to get what you're looking for. and above all, stop whining and posting on the internet when you could be doing something. no one here is going to just mail you a free bike out of sympathy. but if you do some work and set aside this sense of entitlement you have, you can make this happen.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indianadave View Post

But honestly, if you just want to putt around town, any bike will do. Just don't put any time into modifying it, or it'll more than likely end up being worse than it was. I found out the hard way that Walmart Mongoose bikes have very few parts that are replaceable by standard parts that fit every other bike shop quality bike. Very hard to swap parts on it, even if it just because they wear out.
    I do agree it's best to get a name brand used,but you are mistaken saying that
    it's hard to upgrade a WalMart Mongoose...Every single part is replaceable with
    standard sizes...Just saying...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm not saying they're impossible to upgrade... The Walgoose I had had an odd sized seat post. It had a riveted crankset, so you can't even remove chainrings to run as a 2x or single front chain ring. It also had a quill stem, which limits the use of different length stems. They aren't nearly as easy to upgrade. Buying one of the "good brands" makes things much easier. Granted, early "good brands" often had these same issues.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Going cheap is always expensive. I know this from years and years and years of trying to go cheap.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dion View Post
    Going cheap is always expensive. I know this from years and years and years of trying to go cheap.

Yep, the free stuff almost always winds up costing you the most.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    ah, blame the "economy." I suggest you get off the internet and start cruising craigslist, thrift stores, estate sales, etc. if all you want is a simple bike to ride around the neighborhood: a) you are on the wrong forum to ask about stuff like that because this is generally about mountain biking and b) just buy a granny beach cruiser bike.

if you are like me, and a lot of people I have met over the years, you will get a crappy bike going and start tooling around a park and greenway trails, then that little path in the woods will start calling your name. you will try it once or twice on your crappy bike and get hooked. then nothing will stop you from getting a better bike. not "the economy," not the lack of bike shops, the lack of tools, or your own stubbornness. you will start selling stuff, working odd jobs, obsessing over craigslist, driving to different cities across the state... anything to get a suitable bike. I think you can do it, just stop whining about not having money or choices and start doing something about it. if you can't get a suitable bike, you have no one to blame but yourself.

often the best resource is another cyclist. there is very likely a chapter of IMBA near where you live. look them up and connect with someone who will have some idea how to get what you're looking for. and above all, stop whining and posting on the internet when you could be doing something. no one here is going to just mail you a free bike out of sympathy. but if you do some work and set aside this sense of entitlement you have, you can make this happen.
    i wasnt asking for a free bike. i was asking for advice on what i could do to my bike to make it work. when i found out that my bike wasnt safe, i asked what i should get that was on a budget. it is the economy, i went to mcdonalds to apply and there were people with full phd's going for the same job. here it is the economy that is screwing me over. ive checked craigslist repeatedly, nobody has garage sales in the winter up here checked and still checking though. ive checked in the bikes section and there are a few but they are womens, and childrens bikes. the reason i came to this forum was because i was and am dealing with mountain bikes it doesnt matter if i take it off road or drive it on fresh paved asphalt its entire life its still a mountain bike
    i check imba and thank you for the advice, the nearest one i have is an hour away so ill do some more research and see what i want to do

one chain loop
    too bad there is no bike coop in your area, how about the nearby town and cities?

the coop is the best place to learn about bikes. if you are not mechanically inclined, there is always someone there to teach you. that's where i learned how to true a wheel.

most bike coops gives store credits when you do volunteer work. you learn and earn, win win. then you get that first bike that you need. you become a pro and start flipping bikes and realize that you are earning real money.

all the posted advices here are very good, but you have to realize that you have to do something to get out of that situation. you want a nice bike? you have to earn it.

mtbr member
    i asked what i should get that was on a budget. it is the economy, i went to mcdonalds to apply and there were people with full phd's going for the same job. here it is the economy that is screwing me over.
    define "budget." for must riders, a "budget" bike is something under $800. i guess that's all relative. i know finding a job right now sucks. I have a degree in Journalism and I stuggle to keep working more than 20 hours a week right now. whining about it on mtbr is not going to get you a bike. start getting creative.

if you want help, PLEASE give us the link to the craigslist page that shows listings closest to you, and tell us how tall you are. we can't tell you how to get a job or pull money out of air, but we can help you find a good deal on a bike.

mtbr member
    I paid $14.99 for my Brodie at goodwill over the holidays. Just sayin...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Listen to Grumps. What he said is worth reading.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtnut View Post
    Listen to Grumps. What he said is worth reading.
    i have listened to him, and everyone else on here. but a cheap walmart bike will work fine for a few months while i scavange as much money as i can to get a good one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    i have listened to him, and everyone else on here. but a cheap walmart bike will work fine for a few months while i scavange as much money as i can to get a good one.
    That NEXT bike is absolutely, positively NOT intended for off road use. There are even labels on these bikes that say so. If you ride true MTB trails, you will experience a myriad of problems. The biggest thing you have going against you is that you don't know how to work on bikes, and these things are put together horribly.

These bikes are intended to be ridden down pavement paths around the playground, not on singletrack.

I anticipate the first thing that will happen is your headset will come loose. I take you probably have a nasty spanner wrench and a set of channel locks that you will attempt to tighten it with. Given that the Parowan bike has 1-piece cranks, they will also loosen very quickly, which again, will attempted to be tighten using closet tool box tools. Do you even have metric size tools?

The peener 1/2" pedals will start to show play, and not understanding reverse threads and probably not owning a pedal wrench or a 15mm, you will want to throw the bike off a cliff.

Derailleur adjustment? Forget about it.

Wheels staying true? I don't think so.

The $70 you spend on that bike will be the biggest waste of money, ever. Put away $70 a month working odd jobs or selling stuff on eBay or Craiglist. Start looking around at the stuff you own (video games, computer stuff, etc.) and start posting it for sale. Put it out there that you want to trade something for a bike.

$10, $20 bucks here and there adds up faster than you think. If you have to do something for $5, do it and bank that cash.

In just a few short months, you will have a couple hundred bucks that can buy you an older steel Specialized Hardrock, Bridgestone MB, or something like that. You may even be able to find something better than that.

Many of us were once your age and understand what it's like to work crap jobs. Imagine making $3.25 an hour and how long it took to save up for BMX parts... but I worked and I saved for good stuff, not Walmart crap.

Listen to us older guys. A lot of us have been there/done that and are trying to save you from yourself. But something tells me your age is getting in the way and you're going to go with that Walmart POS anyway.

Some guys have asked you to post your town and body measurements and WE WILL HELP YOU FIND A BIKE, but you insist on that Walmart crap - it's like you just don't want the help or your youth is making you hard-headed.

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    i know exactly what you are saying but they wont buy me a new one haha, not only that i want to get one on my own.
    Wrong. I want to talk to your parents to tell them to forbid you from buying that $70 Walmart POS.

Here, show your parents this post.

Dear Parents of oud25,

I hope you're well, and Happy New Year to you. I hope 2012 is kind to you. Please take the time to cast your eyes over this thread. Sorry to drag you into this, but the little blighter just won't listen to us wise old sages.

Please don't let young oud25 buy that Walmart bike.

I commend him (? I presume he's a he) on wanting to ride and also for buying his own bike. But the $70 he'd spend on that "bike" would be better spent on a bike of higher quality and greater safety, that offered more versatility and longevity and thus, better value.

I understand he wants to get on a bike as soon as possible, and might only keep the Walmart jobbie for a couple of months. But after that couple of months, he is $70 worse off towards a proper bike and guess what else, you've inherited a piece of junk littering the shed or back yard.

The people here on MTBR have shown remarkable restraint. We haven't resorted to name calling or general bickering, which is unusual for an internet forum. We are a quality group. We really do want to help the young fellow out and have his best interests at heart.

We don't want him to invest in the false economy of a Walmart bike even as a stopgap measure.

Please reassure the young chap that we're right, and teach him that, with a little commitment and patience, he'll have a much better outcome.

We've all been young once, and we know from hindsight that a little guidance can go a long way if that guidance sinks in.

Kind regards,
    Uncle Grumpy

Man... kids these days...

The Crazy Cat Lady of VRC
    Quote Originally Posted by Linoleum View Post
    I paid $14.99 for my Brodie at goodwill over the holidays. Just sayin...

pics or it didn't happen

sounds like a great score...let's see it L.

Steve

AZ
    banned
    Wrong. I want to talk to your parents to tell them to forbid you from buying that $70 Walmart POS.

Dear Parents of oud25,

I hope you're well, and Happy New Year to you. I hope 2012 is kind to you. Please take the time to cast your eyes over this thread. Sorry to drag you into this, but the little blighter just won't listen to us wise old sages.

I commend him (? I presume he's a he) on wanting to ride and also for buying his own bike. But the $70 he'd spend on that "bike" would be better spent on a bike of higher quality and greater safety, that offered more versatility and longevity and thus, better value.

I understand he wants to get on a bike as soon as possible, and might only keep the Walmart jobbie for a couple of months. But after that couple of months, he is $70 worse off towards a proper bike and guess what else, you've inherited a piece of junk littering the shed or back yard.

The people here on MTBR have shown remarkable restraint. We haven't resorted to name calling or general bickering, which is unusual for an internet forum. We are a quality group. We really do want to help the young fellow out and have his best interests at heart.

We don't want him to invest in the false economy of a Walmart bike even as a stopgap measure.

Please reassure the young chap that we're right, and teach him that, with a little commitment and patience, he'll have a much better outcome.

We've all been young once, and we know from hindsight that a little guidance can go a long way if that guidance sinks in.

Kind regards,
    Uncle Grumpy

Little chance of his parents seeing that fine post, they don't even know that he is out of bed and on the computer.

AZ
    banned
    Sorry, posting malfunction.
    Last edited by AZ; 01-08-2012 at 07:44 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm not sure where exactly in Michigan you are, since you refuse to tell us, but look at this listing
    Its a K2 which isn't the best bike in the world but its loads better then the walmart crap.

k2 outlaw 1.0

On second thought this bike isn't as good a deal as I thought. they say its a steel frame when its clearly an aluminum one also they say its a 2010 but I think most all the K2s were disc by that time. Also they want too much for it, so ignore this ad....
    Buy a f-ing bike maybe you wouldn't be fat

mtbr member
    Here is even a better deal, its a gary fisher and its only 100 dollars, plus its all steel so there is so suspension to wear out.

Gary Fisher Gitche Gumee Mountain Bike

Pedal Over It
    That's a good deal on that GF.
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” - Plato

mtbr member
    I asked about where the OP lives so I could try to find deals on Craigslist for him and maybe find some helpful bike shops. since he is just here to whine and moan and not give us any information that we could use to help him, I am done with this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Dear Parents of oud25,

Kind regards,
    Uncle Grumpy

i have greatly appreciated your help with this but stop treating me like a kid, im turning 20 in a few weeks. im not a kid. yes im young. but i dont have a job to buy a 500 dollar bike. what i do have is enough money to buy either a pos bike or no bike. if i have no bike i cant get anywhere until i can borrow their car, if i have a bike (even a crappy bike) i can go places and atleast try to get money
    thank you for your help and concern
    oud25

Pedal Over It
    oud25, did you see that CL listing for the GF?
    “Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.” - Plato

one chain loop
    just buy that walmart bike already and make yourself feel better.

if you need help fixing it after days of riding it, just go back here, we'll tap your shoulders and say good job.

most likely shifters on that bike doesn't do its job on its first day. but do what suits you, you are a grown up man.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    just buy that walmart bike already and make yourself feel better.

if you need help fixing it after days of riding it, just go back here, we'll tap your shoulders and say good job.

most likely shifters on that bike doesn't do its job on its first day. but do what suits you, you are a grown up man.
    thank you
    if the shifter stops ill take the tensioner off and fix the chain to it, and keep the brakes so its just a single speed
    when those stop then ill come make it into either a fixie or fix the brakes. it will work fine for what i need it. we bought a next bike from walmart and its still going perfectly 5 years later.im not saying its a quality bike but as long as you take care of it it will do fine for what you need for a few years

one chain loop
    Omg.

mtbr member
    That gary fisher I listed is only 100 dollars, which is about what one of them there POS wally world bikes cost...

one chain loop
    but its not from walmart so..

AZ
    banned
    I'm putting gears back on my fixed bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoaststeve View Post
    pics or it didn't happen

sounds like a great score...let's see it L.

Steve

Ha....search Brodie Energy in the VRC thread. I think I even posted pics with the price tag!

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    i have greatly appreciated your help with this but stop treating me like a kid, im turning 20 in a few weeks. im not a kid.
    I'm not saying you're a kid though you obstinance would indicate a certain amount of headroom to be made up in the maturity stakes. I'm saying you need guidance to stop you doing something that really is false economy. You've been given enough advice on where to look for a better value bike. Look, if you're so set on buying a bike from Walmart then do it. You say a bike would give you some mobility, that's great, but when it invariably kicks the bucket in a month then you're back to having no bike and then trying to scrounge another $70 to add to your fleet of department store death traps.

This is like watching a seal get clubbed to death.

Grumps

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Ok, sounds like you are a little off track in a few places, this is what I would do, (actually this is what I did)
    -DO NOT buy a new bike, you can't buy anything at your pricepoint.
    -BUY USED, there are plenty of bikes out there that will work for what I figure you will be riding for under $150. Do not buy Walmart, but something like a trek, fischer, or Jamis, or Specialized. Go for a steel framed rigid with thumb shifters. These bikes will get you a lot of places, I now own several thousands of dollars worth of bikes these days, but I started out on a 88 trek antelope and moved to a Specialised Rockhopper that I found in a ditch. I'm a pretty handy bike mechanic and yess these bikes took a lot of work, but they teach you a lot, and get you around quite well.
    Ridin' fo' dayzz

Wheels - 11' Giant Anthem X1
    -08 Eastern Slash
    -08 Jamis Dragon

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    oh, and oud25, all these old guys are a bunch of sticks in the mud, don't get the walmart bike, but don't feel that you have to spend hundreds to have fun on a bike either, I had lots of fun on crappy ol' 80's bikes that I'd spent half an hour to lube up and fix the brakes. Basically spend as much as you can on a bike, but don't not buy a bike because you've been told anything under 400 isn't a mountain bike.

-No offense to anyone here, I just think there are many people chased away from this sport because of the high entrance fee even though it doesn't have to be that way. -
    Ridin' fo' dayzz

Wheels - 11' Giant Anthem X1
    -08 Eastern Slash
    -08 Jamis Dragon

one chain loop
    go for the walmart bike, it is awesome.

AZ
    banned
    go for the walmart bike, it is awesome.

That is exactly what I told him in his other thread.

one chain loop
    ha! so he went to other forum to ask for a second opinion. i suggest to him to go to pinkbike.com and ask for a third opinion. he'd probably get a third hole instead.

mtbr member
    I have a new mental archetype to summon for when I hear the word "obstinate."

http://forums.mtbr.com/bike-frame-di...an-760949.html

one chain loop
    now that i compare him to kyle, it makes kyle a smarter than average person.

but i know that already.

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...nd-410496.html

mtbr member
    At least spend $219 and get the Mongoose Deception if you're insisting on Wally World.......

Shop every day low prices on the Mongoose Deception 29" Men's Mountain Bike. Save money, live better at Walmart.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Oud, let me help you out with a better use of your money than sinking any more money on these walmart bikes. Below are my recommendations by price:

FREE-Find all of the discardable metal in your household, put it in a heap in front of your house for the recyclers to take away, if it adds up to about 35 pounds, you are good to go, if not, keep looking... rbeak stuff if you have to.

$20- Pay someone to hit you in the face with a large dirty rock. If you find a local crack-whore to do it, you might get something else out the bargain as well.

$20-buy a set of mountain bikerish looking clothes at goodwill or even walmart since you seem quite fond of it. Hit them with the same large dirty rock until they have tears and blood on them from your hands. Throw them on the heap of metal as well, and walk away from mountain-biking forever.

TOTAL INVESTMENT: $40 for the same end result.

Best part, now you have $30 in your pocket... go eat out at Outback or something! If you opt for hitting youself in the face with the large dirty rock instead of having a crack whore help you out, then you can use that $20 to take a date along too.
    Last edited by Jonesy33; 01-11-2012 at 12:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    now that i compare him to kyle, it makes kyle a smarter than average person.

but i know that already.

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro...nd-410496.html
    Thank you for sharing this gem. I was in a foul modo this morning until I read through that one! I ALMOST revived it just for the hell of it, but this current thread has equal train-wreck potential!