Rust on/in frame- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Rust on/in frame

So, I have an 09 GT Peace as many of you might have seen already. The frame is Renolds 520 (chromoly) and I have noticed after some of my rides where I have crossed creeks or washed the bike after riding that I am finding some rust stains, basically orange water drainage lines, around the bb area where the frame tubing has breathing holes as well as on my seat post.

I have had steel frames before. Mostly road frames mind you but steel none the less. They have all been painted frames with a nice clear coat on them. But I have never seen any sort of rust residue left over even after riding/racing in the rain. This is definitely the first frame that I have seen this happen on.

My concern of course is that the frame will simply start rusting from the inside out in that area. I am now curious how this will affect the longevity of the frame. I am also curious if anyone has experienced this and if you tried to do anything about it. I am wondering if perhaps pulling the bb out and simply smearing some grease around the inside of the bb shell will help any by creating a bit of a water proof barrier.

Anyone have any thoughts other than the one I came up with? Oh, option two is to just go ahead and try to scrape funds together and buy a Lynsky Ridgeline. I like this option but funding is tight.

mtbr member
    Frame Saver or Boeshield sprayed inside the frame. I think boiled linseed oil is an option too, but messier than the other options

Low Rep Count
    Went ahead and ordered the Boeshield. Once it shows up, I figure I will spray this crap in every tube I can get it into! Thanks man.

Ovaries on the Outside
    Even if you don't use those things, it takes a realllllly long time to rust out a frame.

Low Rep Count
    Maybe so, but I have never seen it on any of my past steel road bikes! Just odd and irritating. I went ahead and ordered the Boeshield earlier today.

Of course I went riding today right after it rained. That basically meant spraying the bike down when I got home. Can't wait to get this stuff and lube the hell out of all the tubes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have Frame Saver you can use. In fact, if you want to bring the bike by my place, I'd be happy to strip it, treat it, and rebuild it.

Low Rep Count
    That would take all the fun out of it! If I strip it, I can order another bb! Maybe a King! Seriously though, I won't be buing a new bb until I pull the crank this winter and send it out for coating.

I ordered the frame save crap the other day so it will be here soon enough. I have no problems pulling the bike apart and rebuilding it all so that should go pretty quick w/ no down time.

Thanks for the offer though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Don't bother with a CK BB, just buy the $15 Enduro BB bearings, re-pack them with grease, and they'll last forever.

mtbr member
    I just spray what i can with WD-40. And wipe off the excess that gets on the frame. And just let the frame dry out. I have tried other brands brand of "frame saver" products but have found that it dries to thick and i ended up having to do to much clean up to reinstall the BB and the seat tube.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Don't bother with a CK BB, just buy the $15 Enduro BB bearings, re-pack them with grease, and they'll last forever.
    Well, it already has an XTR bb w/ it which is holding up fine. No rush to change it but I figure that if I do change it I will drop the money on a really nice one. In red or blue of course.

Low Rep Count
    Quote Originally Posted by REDGT
    I just spray what i can with WD-40. And wipe off the excess that gets on the frame. And just let the frame dry out. I have tried other brands brand of "frame saver" products but have found that it dries to thick and i ended up having to do to much clean up to reinstall the BB and the seat tube.
    I figure that when I spray it I will actually wipe out some of the areas like the seat post and bb area (threads) right after spraying. Not too much mind you as that would defeat the purpose. The upper portion of the seat post isn't an issue since it always has a fine coat of grease on it from the post itself.

This whole prepping the inside of the frame tubes is wack! I really shouldn't care too much when you look at how much I paid for the thing but I guess I do care. I am thinking that I would rather have a ti frame though! Then I would only have to prep everything with Ti prep instead!

I'm invisible.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    So, I have an 09 GT Peace as many of you might have seen already. The frame is Renolds 520 (chromoly) and I have noticed after some of my rides where I have crossed creeks or washed the bike after riding that I am finding some rust stains, basically orange water drainage lines, around the bb area where the frame tubing has breathing holes as well as on my seat post.

I have had steel frames before. Mostly road frames mind you but steel none the less. They have all been painted frames with a nice clear coat on them. But I have never seen any sort of rust residue left over even after riding/racing in the rain. This is definitely the first frame that I have seen this happen on.

My concern of course is that the frame will simply start rusting from the inside out in that area. I am now curious how this will affect the longevity of the frame. I am also curious if anyone has experienced this and if you tried to do anything about it. I am wondering if perhaps pulling the bb out and simply smearing some grease around the inside of the bb shell will help any by creating a bit of a water proof barrier.

Anyone have any thoughts other than the one I came up with? Oh, option two is to just go ahead and try to scrape funds together and buy a Lynsky Ridgeline. I like this option but funding is tight.
    See this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=619411

I have a steel frame which had severe internal rust. I brought it back to clean gray metal without too much time or expense.
    Signature space intentionally left blank.

Members who have read this thread: 0