Runout problems....- Mtbr.com
    Keep on Rockin...

Runout problems....

After years of dealing with runout issues and sloppy-tight spot chains I'm ready for something different.

Do any folks find going with a designated SS crank setup eliminates the runout issue?

I like the looks of the Middleburn with the UNO ring. Maybe the ENO. Are these guaranteed fixes?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Miker J; 12-02-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    maybe a dumb question, but what it runout?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Back when I raced track bikes...

Even very nice chainrings had some runout. If you were meticulous, you could determine the direction of max runout for your crankset and determine it also for each of your rings. Then, you could install the ring runout opposite to your crank runout and minimize the effect. Even so, a bit of chain slack didn't really hurt anybody.

On my SS bike, runout is caused by the chainrings not being round. They aren't round because the previous owner installed the rings on the outer chainring position and installed "single" chainring bolts in the normal fashion. Thus, the shoulder of the nuts didn't extend through and support the rings. Since the rings were only supported by the smaller diameter of the chainring bolt, they squirmed around and got no-quite round.

If you put your rings on the outer slot, go ahead and turn your chainring bolts around backwards.

Even as bad as mine are, it's no big deal.

Keep on Rockin...

Well...

It refers to the loose-tight chain phenomena that a slightly less than perfectly round chainring (or spider) will produce.

For years I have had a recurrent problem with dropping chains (on mulitple different frames-cogs-rings-chains-etc..) and a sloppy chain only makes the issue worse.

Keep on Rockin...

Good point...

Quote Originally Posted by johnmyster99
    Back when I raced track bikes...

Even very nice chainrings had some runout. If you were meticulous, you could determine the direction of max runout for your crankset and determine it also for each of your rings. Then, you could install the ring runout opposite to your crank runout and minimize the effect. Even so, a bit of chain slack didn't really hurt anybody.

On my SS bike, runout is caused by the chainrings not being round. They aren't round because the previous owner installed the rings on the outer chainring position and installed "single" chainring bolts in the normal fashion. Thus, the shoulder of the nuts didn't extend through and support the rings. Since the rings were only supported by the smaller diameter of the chainring bolt, they squirmed around and got no-quite round.

If you put your rings on the outer slot, go ahead and turn your chainring bolts around backwards.

Even as bad as mine are, it's no big deal.

I always try to make sure the nut shoulder extends through both the spider and into the ring or vice versa. Even then there is a bit of play that ultimately will cause issues. I'd guess another thing that contributes is uneven pedal forces wear down some sections of the ring faster than others. Probably rotating the ring every few months would help.

mtbr member
    I have had much better luck with a "rounder" setup with the spiderless ENO cranks (I have of these cranksets) than a normal bolt on ring on an XT crankset I have on my winter bike.

That said, if you have a lot of tension on the chain you are still going to run into that a bit even on the ENO but it is very minor and you don't have to worry about fiddling with getting the ring centered on the spider.
    Last edited by nspace; 12-03-2008 at 11:41 AM.

mtbr member
    My ENO setup is great. Can't say I feel run out at all. I'm running ENO Cranks and freewheel.
    "When the end of the world comes, I want to be in Cincinnati because it's always 20 years behind the times." Twain

Members who have read this thread: 0