RSD Sergeant as a SS?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    26

    RSD Sergeant as a SS?

    The RSD Sergeant Alum 27.5+. Anyone set this one up as a SS? Looks pretty cool, and with the adjustable rear dropouts mean no chain tensioner I believe? Could be had for pretty cheap.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    502
    The last page of the baddest single speed thread has one on it right now.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by maximo View Post
    The last page of the baddest single speed thread has one on it right now.
    Dats mine. And yes, it freakin' rules. Set up Rocket Ron's tubeless, put my Whiskey Bars on her, Absolute Black oval 30T with a Chris King 18t cog.

    Such a great bike.





    Hightower
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Surly Wednesday
    RSD Catalyst all road bike
    On One fixed
    1999 Chameleon SS

  4. #4
    OOOOOOOh Gee Are Eee
    Reputation: Ogre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3,448

    RSD Sergeant as a SS?

    Redacted

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    Dats mine. And yes, it freakin' rules. Set up Rocket Ron's tubeless, put my Whiskey Bars on her, Absolute Black oval 30T with a Chris King 18t cog.

    Such a great bike.
    Close to pulling the trigger on a sergeant and making it SS. Was that a swap out of the 30T chainring it came with? Different chain too?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafr View Post
    Close to pulling the trigger on a sergeant and making it SS. Was that a swap out of the 30T chainring it came with? Different chain too?
    Yes, I swapped the original 30T to the 30T oval. I just used the 10 speed chain that came with the Sergeant.

    I rode the round ring for a couple weeks, before the oval, and the oval is awesome!

    With the 140mm fork, I thought the front end would wonder on climbs, but it doesn't. I have done 1/2 hour sustained climbs and its perfect. It's just my lungs at that are hurting...

    The Sergeant is legit.
    Hightower
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Surly Wednesday
    RSD Catalyst all road bike
    On One fixed
    1999 Chameleon SS

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    Yes, I swapped the original 30T to the 30T oval. I just used the 10 speed chain that came with the Sergeant.

    I rode the round ring for a couple weeks, before the oval, and the oval is awesome!

    With the 140mm fork, I thought the front end would wonder on climbs, but it doesn't. I have done 1/2 hour sustained climbs and its perfect. It's just my lungs at that are hurting...

    The Sergeant is legit.
    Not familiar with ovals? Did you do anything special with the spacer kit for the rear sprocket? I to will be putting on an 18t as I live in the mountians of Maine were we got climbing too.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    216
    I used these spacers. Work awesome. Easy to adjust. I live in Vermont, and we have a few good climbs too!

    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=2621
    Hightower
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    Surly Wednesday
    RSD Catalyst all road bike
    On One fixed
    1999 Chameleon SS

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    I used these spacers. Work awesome. Easy to adjust. I live in Vermont, and we have a few good climbs too!

    https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...&category=2621
    Thanks for the link. I will definitely go with those. Now all I need to do is pull the trigger on the bike.

Similar Threads

  1. RSD Sergeant thread (Pix are appreciated)
    By BansheeRune in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 887
    Last Post: 05-06-2019, 06:53 AM
  2. RSD Sergeant/Big Chief: Any info out there?
    By Scotty2H in forum 26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 08-17-2017, 01:27 PM
  3. Fox Sergeant Shorts -- Cool looking, not sure about the liner
    By NorthSideOf50 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-07-2015, 04:43 AM
  4. Zoic Ether vs. Fox Ranger vs. Fox Sergeant
    By Vault in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-13-2012, 11:04 PM

Members who have read this thread: 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.