Making fat cool since '71

Rough and tumble SS?

Pardon me if I commit an act of heresy or whatever, but I am a dewd thinking of finding a way to get a super burly SS worthy of some light duty jumping/freeride (no drops bigger than 6 feet) type stuff and still OK for typical OR singletrack. I know where to get some purpose built jump/park hardtails, but that's not what I want. I know I can call up a multitude of boutique builders and have a couple options from some.

Being on the larger end of the mtb world (6'3" @ 255) I'm not worried about having the lightest frame. I have no interest or concern for having a 3 pound frame. I'm used to dragging my 36+pound squish around so a 30 pound SS wouldn't break my heart quite frankly if it did everything I want. I figure if this ever happens I could have two wheelsets for it which would make a lot of the weight difference for XC versus the more aggressive days. Anyway, any thoughts on factory/non-custom frames? "Perfect" for me would be a long-ish toptube, 68-69 degree HA with a 5" fork (marz z1 wound down prolly), reliable tensioning system.

Thank you, thank you very much.

Brock...
    Are the wheels roundish? Ride it.

Disciples Of Dirt, come ride with us.

You know, for kids
    I'm 6'2" and around 255lbs as well. If you're considering a big wheel, this is my 29er with downhill cranks/headset and all mountain stem/seatpost. It'd be a bit rough rigid but you could add a suspension fork and maybe a beefier wheelset and it should work hard for you. The wheelset on there has proven to be stout so far, 36H Velocity Blunts are the rims with DT straight guage spokes. Small jumps are no big deal with the current setup. 28lbs as pictured...

just another bleepin SSer
    Santa Cruz Chameleon claims to be a bike that would fit your bill (though I didn't check the tp tube lengths or anything to see if it was your type of geometry).
    --
    Getting old, fat, and slow...
    自転車が好きだよ

Jacob 34:19

Lenz Revelation

local trails rider
    Banshee Scirocco is one possibility. It is a versatile frame and mine is working fine as SS using a Rennen tensioner.

Then there's Evil Sovereign, with the adjustable dropouts.

...Or maybe one of the Chromag frames. I was looking at those before I bought my German (my side of the Atlantic) 2soulscycles frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I was riding this a couple of years ago... tough as.

donkey
    the fetish obsession might work... not to spam but i've got one kicking around my basement.

(was) Big in Japan
    Quote Originally Posted by robkhoo
    I was riding this a couple of years ago... tough as.

I 2nd the Rumble, and the Chameleon. A buddy tore up the DH courses here in Japan last year on a Rumble (SS), and I rode it for one run, it was very, very capable DH.

If you are interested in 29ers, a Surly KM with a thru-axle fork is a pretty serious machine. I have one, and it is silly how much it can do. I love the WB BW1.0 TA fork on it too. There are now plenty of rim and tyre options at the burly end of the scale for 29ers, so give it a look - variety is the spice of life!

BTW, my Vassago is also insane DH, so I second madcap's sugggestion too. So, I basically second everything. I think....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ride.

Thanks for the thoughts folks. I think the Chromags look pretty sweet. I could get a KM pretty cheap; are they really that burly? I'm not against it, but I'm not sure I want another Santa Cruz, I've had two with mixed results, but that was with their squish rigs.

Ahhh, decisions...

Enjoy the ride.

Brock...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Ruffian

At 6' 4" and 240lbs my Gunnar Ruffian has held up great. I've broke a couple of other SS frames but this bike takes everything that I throw at it.
    Marty W

" width="549">

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    how about Surly Instigator? This frame is tough and can take up to 150 mm suspension forks. And is cheap. I just built myself my first SS with one of this little beast and it works great. Just take a look at the reviews of the frame here on mtbr.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Thanks for the thoughts folks. I think the Chromags look pretty sweet. I could get a KM pretty cheap; are they really that burly? I'm not against it, but I'm not sure I want another Santa Cruz, I've had two with mixed results, but that was with their squish rigs.

Ahhh, decisions...

Enjoy the ride.

Brock...
    I think the Chameleon is exactly what you are looking for. The '08 looks burlier than the old version, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    The Kona Kaboom - I think ONLY the 01 model was made with dirt jumping and freeriding in mind. It's the best 1speed EVER made, IMO.

DiscoCowboy

Couple other options...

Evil D.O.C.
    Evil Sovereign
    Giant STP SS
    DMR Trailstar
    EWR Is Back!
    More XC'ish bikes that are built tough, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Instigator. Also Redline Monocog.

These are more on the burly hardtail side than xc side, but even 4' drops with a 255lb'er are going to crush a regular XC type bike.

Good luck,
    -J

Quote Originally Posted by ImaKlyde
    Pardon me if I commit an act of heresy or whatever, but I am a dewd thinking of finding a way to get a super burly SS worthy of some light duty jumping/freeride (no drops bigger than 6 feet) type stuff and still OK for typical OR singletrack. I know where to get some purpose built jump/park hardtails, but that's not what I want. I know I can call up a multitude of boutique builders and have a couple options from some.

Being on the larger end of the mtb world (6'3" @ 255) I'm not worried about having the lightest frame. I have no interest or concern for having a 3 pound frame. I'm used to dragging my 36+pound squish around so a 30 pound SS wouldn't break my heart quite frankly if it did everything I want. I figure if this ever happens I could have two wheelsets for it which would make a lot of the weight difference for XC versus the more aggressive days. Anyway, any thoughts on factory/non-custom frames? "Perfect" for me would be a long-ish toptube, 68-69 degree HA with a 5" fork (marz z1 wound down prolly), reliable tensioning system.

Thank you, thank you very much.

Brock...

Mtbr
    How about this hydroformed frame with a Fox:

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/rig

Or this 26er with four inches of travel:

http://fisherbikes.com/bike/model/mullet-ss

I've thought about the Evil bikes. I know a guy who has treated his Imperial like an absolute cheap whore and that thing has treated him right. I don't want the Imperial, but if the others are as over built for their intended purposes one should do me fine.

Thanks folks.

Brock...
    Last edited by ImaKlyde; 01-06-2008 at 08:39 AM.

mtbr member
    You could get a Kona Scab and 1speed it.. that thing will never break.

Quote Originally Posted by Allroy
    More XC'ish bikes that are built tough, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Instigator. Also Redline Monocog.

These are more on the burly hardtail side than xc side, but even 4' drops with a 255lb'er are going to crush a regular XC type bike.

Good luck,
    -J
    None of these will last under Brock.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I can say a Monocog for sure wouldn't last. I have a friend with one.... the DT started to buckle just past the gusset after 4 rides. He never crashed it and didn't abuse it or jump it or anything.

Welcome to the Gem...
    if you've got the funds... build your own. that's what i'm doing. although... really i'm not all that sure that i have the money. some bills can go unpaid, i suppose though.

pick up a nice frame from spot, vassago, q-ball maybe... build up a burly set of wheels, and buy the components to your liking.

it's a fun journey too! let us know what you ultimately decide to do... and as always... post pics!!! we like to vicariously live through one another's photos...
    Ibis Tranny 29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty H
    I can say a Monocog for sure wouldn't last. I have a friend with one.... the DT started to buckle just past the gusset after 4 rides. He never crashed it and didn't abuse it or jump it or anything.
    Was your friend riding the steel or flight? Just curious cause I've never heard of this. I've had 2 Monocogs (steel) and have beat them up pretty bad, one even with a 100mm sus fork doing some pretty aggressive xc and they have taken everything I could throw at them. BTW I'm 205lbs. IMO I think the Monocog is a great bike for the price, I don't think it would be a good bike for the OP though, I would recommend something like the SC Chameleon or Banshee.

Quote Originally Posted by floorguy724
    Was your friend riding the steel or flight? Just curious cause I've never heard of this. I've had 2 Monocogs (steel) and have beat them up pretty bad, one even with a 100mm sus fork doing some pretty aggressive xc and they have taken everything I could throw at them. BTW I'm 205lbs. IMO I think the Monocog is a great bike for the price, I don't think it would be a good bike for the OP though, I would recommend something like the SC Chameleon or Banshee.
    From '07 on the Flights are steel, too.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    From '07 on the Flights are steel, too.
    You're right, My bad. I was talking <06'

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It was just a regular Mono 29er. Less than 5 rides. City and light XC and one snow ride.

Members who have read this thread: 0