Rotor Cranks?!?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rotor Cranks?!?

Steamroller

Rotor Cranks?!?

I was checking out the Rotor cranks at Sea Otter and have been wondering if they really work as well as described? Did anyone test ride then? Does anyone have them? They may be something to add to the wish list for the dream bike. I know they are big bucks, but scrimping and saving $$$$ is easier than losing 30 pounds or 10 years, if they will produce a similar result in my ability to get up big hills.

Maybe I should just dump my thin young riding buddies and look for more of the older, slower, and heavier ones that make me look and feel fast.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    I've ridden a set, albeit on the road, for about four miles, but they're great fun.

They feel REALLY wierd for about the first 100yards, then they're fine (most of the time).

What I didn't like (in the VERY short time I was using them) was what they did at the sort of "pedals level" position, you know like when you're cruising, or just wanting to put in a little pedal kick, or shift your weight - they're a bit strange like that.

When you're just turning a gear over, they're great. The more technical your riding, the less you might get on with them (IMVLE).

used to be uno-speedo....

mtbr member
    I was part of some controled scientific tests carried out at the univercity of london. They required me to undertake a number of standard 25mile timetrails on a kingcycle with different types of crank while undergoing VO2 max tests.

I can feel a definate difference between the to but my overall time was not consistently better with these nor was there an overal reduction in effort.

P::..

mtbr member

For the price...

For the price of those silly looking things, they better do the pushing for me. $835 Ti and $635 Cro-Mo...ouch. Their rings look proprietary too.

http://www.rotorcranksusa.com/inquire_rs4mtb.htm

--Billy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
    - Douglas Adams

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i have not triied them, but have watched various reviews and such on them. generally, there are three camps;

1. wild supporters, many of which also sell them, such as the timtrial.org dude in that other thread.

2. anecdotal and experiential testors from places like cycling.com and the like - who have used them and ususally report mild gains in time trials or triathlons. 1-2 % gains. how much that is worth to a guy is up to them.

3. other study groups and coaches who have used them and concluded over time that there is no free lunch. maybe they felt a little faster at the novelty of them or for a spell, but over time basically saw no long term impact.

my personal view is that IF they do anything, they will ultimately be their own worst enemy. imagine some second rate spaniard time trialling past ullrich on some whacky cam driven gizmo in the TDF. UCI will whack them in a heartbeat. that they haven't thus far leads me to believe in camp 3's findings, myself . . . . . . . . . .

mtbr member
    Thankyou.

P::..

Camp 3 Member.

Steamroller

As I suspected

So far as, I suspected, nobody is raving over them for SS use. The sales rep. was trying to tell me what a huge difference they make for SSrs by overcoming the dead spot that stops us as we climb a real steep hill. Theoretically that would be cool. Of course, I was standing there holding my SS bike. If I had a geared bike or road bike he would have likely been trying another line.
    I'm thinking I'll pass on dropping that kind of cash until I see lots of people posting pics of their new SS bike with rotor cranks and raving about how great they are. At this point I've never seen a set on anyones bike.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

www.justthebonnet.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattman
    So far as, I suspected, nobody is raving over them for SS use. The sales rep. was trying to tell me what a huge difference they make for SSrs by overcoming the dead spot that stops us as we climb a real steep hill. Theoretically that would be cool. Of course, I was standing there holding my SS bike. If I had a geared bike or road bike he would have likely been trying another line.
    I'm thinking I'll pass on dropping that kind of cash until I see lots of people posting pics of their new SS bike with rotor cranks and raving about how great they are. At this point I've never seen a set on anyones bike.
    Exactly. For some SS'rs overcoming that dead spot on the hill climb is impossible and they need to get off and walk, while another SS'r can just pedal up that hill like its nothing. No little gimicky crank will ever be better than hard training.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

highly visible

OK, so here's what I don't get ...

The idea behind these cranks is to smooth out the effective power delivery, compensating for the unnevenness of our power output as we spin the cranks around, right?

So in terms of what it's trying to accomplish, how is this different from Biopace? A system that accomplished the same thing for a lot less weight, money and complexity. Not to mention that the rotor cranks just HAVE to have at least a slight efficiency loss to them.

If anyone's interested, my local bike co-op has a box full of dozens of old Biopace rings just waiting to be adopted. Mostly $10 or less.

mtbr member
    It looks like they would ride like an old cottered crank with a worn out cotter. I appreciate peoples innovation, but I'm not sold on these being the solution.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    i think they look pretty neat, but for that price, i'll never know... and i'm fine with that!

Members who have read this thread: 0