ROS 9+ Rigid to 120mm- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

ROS 9+ Rigid to 120mm

Hey guys, going to pull the plug and run my awesome ROS with a squishy fork (yuck) and 2.4 tires for a while. Need to give my slowly recovering shoulder a break.
    Question: I'm alarmed this Fox 32 fork seems about 3" taller than the current rigid fork. I think I'm at 69 now; will this longer fork make my bike steer like a semi? It's been a change just going from my hold 71 (I guess) head tube to the 69. I do like the 69 steering in the rough though. Any suggestions or input appreciated.

mtbr member
    https://bikegeo.muha.cc

Niner still has the ROS9 geo on their website. If I recall correctly, the ROS 9 with a 120 fork is only a 68 HA, which is still moderate.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That sounds good. These slack HTAs are pretty much foreign to me, but looking forward to having some squish on the steep rocky stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    https://bikegeo.muha.cc

Niner still has the ROS9 geo on their website. If I recall correctly, the ROS 9 with a 120 fork is only a 68 HA, which is still moderate.
    Good calculator, now I know my HA lowered down to 65,9 after replacing my Fx32 150 to the Pike 160; 0,6 low han expected....great!

Enviado desde mi MotoG3 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Iwe nt from rigid to a 100mm Manitou MagPro on my ROS9+ but that has a pretty tall AC length IIRC. No issues whatsoever, did it for a shoulder and nagging hand injury.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I've been following your posts when I was interested in getting this bike. And seeing you run a sus fork caused me to consider it. I got this Fox as a "closet cleanout" kind of thing. Just wish I could run my big wheels. I do really like the rigid ride though, and am hoping I can get back to that simplicity at some point. Sure my shoulder will appreciate not getting the unsuspecting "bang."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slohr View Post
    I've been following your posts when I was interested in getting this bike. And seeing you run a sus fork caused me to consider it. I got this Fox as a "closet cleanout" kind of thing. Just wish I could run my big wheels. I do really like the rigid ride though, and am hoping I can get back to that simplicity at some point. Sure my shoulder will appreciate not getting the unsuspecting "bang."
    I got the Manitou pretty cheap as 100mm is not real popular in this heavy of a fork but as a clyde I don't mind and I don't think I'd want to run much more suspension with a true plus tire. Measured the HTA last night 67 unsagged, I'm sure it's back to normal when I'm on it.
    I'm pretty much healed now but no real inclination to go back to rigid as yet.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by socal_jack View Post
    I got the Manitou pretty cheap as 100mm is not real popular in this heavy of a fork but as a clyde I don't mind and I don't think I'd want to run much more suspension with a true plus tire. Measured the HTA last night 67 unsagged, I'm sure it's back to normal when I'm on it.
    I'm pretty much healed now but no real inclination to go back to rigid as yet.
    Been considering upgrading to the Sentry 35mm stans wheels and going with one of those Mantiou forks. The Stans neo hubs have boost inserts, so I could run them with both the steel fork and Manitou fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slohr View Post
    Been considering upgrading to the Sentry 35mm stans wheels and going with one of those Mantiou forks. The Stans neo hubs have boost inserts, so I could run them with both the steel fork and Manitou fork.
    Only pain in the ass about that fork is the legs are spread a bit, saw it in some reviews. Weord as it seems stiff otherwise just makes mounting loose if you take on and off for car travel.
    Canfield Riot SS
    ROS9+ SS
    ROS9 SS
    GT Peace 9R SS

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That is weird. You wonder how they could have missed that tolerance. Thanks for the info!