Rollenlager info...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2004

Rollenlager info...

First, let me say that this is not an Ad.

A few people from this forum have emailed me, so I just thought I'd give some info on the product.

The Rollenlager mounts to 2 hard fixing points. NO SPRINGS!

First, the part is bolted into the axle (Q/R AND bolt-on compatible), then rotates to take up slack. Then the lower mount is bolted into the derailleur drop-out, holding everything in place.

This provides a bounce-free drivetrain, that resembles the feel of a stiff BMX bike.

Feel free to email me with questions, and check out the website for more info!

www.RennenDesignGroup.com

Thanks!
    Rollenlagers are IN!!

Check it out at www.RennenDesignGroup.com

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

No good

Quote Originally Posted by kenavery7
    that's funny, 'cause it sure looks like an ad.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    that's funny, 'cause it sure looks like an ad.
    Well it's not...

Notice I didn't mention pricing, I simply explained the product.
    Rollenlagers are IN!!

Portable curmudgeon

Oh, its an ad all right

It shows the product, explains its benefits, directs the reader to additional information, and I'll bet that doodad can be ordered when you reach the linked-to website. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...you've probably got yourself a duck. No harm, no foul, but the response might be more positive if the manufacturer purchased a MTBR classified ad and posted up a link.

But dang if this doesn't look like a pretty neat solution. Could I say goodbye to the dropped chain business with the Godspeed (Surly knockoff) tensioner on my commuter? I also wouldn't mind omitting from my messenger bag the cone wrench required to readjust spring tension? Crap, if your post was an ad, I guess this post makes me a shill. Too bad JensonUSA doesn't stock it - you'd get an automatic hyperlink added for you if they did.

So, in a backward and sideways sort of way, I say thanks for sharing.

=Jason=
    Call me ~Gila~

mtbr member
    May 2004

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by AZBound
    No harm, no foul, but the response might be more positive if the manufacturer purchased a MTBR classified ad and posted up a link.

So, in a backward and sideways sort of way, I say thanks for sharing.

=Jason=
    Call it what you want... I was just trying to share.

I'll have to look into that MTBR classified thing. I think you may be onto something.

New to the site and all...
    Rollenlagers are IN!!

SS Chimp

thanks for the info

never mind the welcoming committee, it appears to me to be standard fare around here to get slammed for anything that remotely resembles an ad. let me try:

hey thanks for posting the info. i see that you only have 3 posts so i assume that you are not aware that it is generally accepted that you buy an ad in the mtrb classified before posting info about products for sale.

that was not too difficult and it was actually easy.

Portable curmudgeon

Start the buzz

Yeah, well, how else are people going to find out about this, wait for a mainstream bike magazine to review it? Shyah right. Dirt Rag reviews a wide range of things, but I wouldn't insult that mag by calling it mainstream.

The classified ad suggestion is because I remember somebody using the singlespeed/rigid marketplace to sell cog and spacer kits for converting cassette hubs to SS. The guy had good feedback, so it semed to be OK to do. Marzocchi even had an ad, selling off NOS forks. Its mostly people selling off their own used stuff but there seem to be a few commercial ads like those in there as well.

Now, if a classified ad does get purchased and put up, and if you mention it in a post, a whole new coupla slams and a cordial reminder from your friendly forum moderator will show up if a link directly to it isn't given. We're all terribly busy and just can't be bothered with an extra mouse click or two.

And I hope it works out for this Rennen outfit - its good to have a diversity of manufacturers out there, you know, like Shimano Corp., Shimano Europe, and Shimano USA.

Bike down

P.S. This reminds me of the slam I got when I dared mention I didn't give a hoot about the Super Bowl last year.
    Last edited by AZBound; 05-18-2004 at 12:51 PM.
    Call me ~Gila~

no gears, no tears
    [QUOTE=kenavery7]First, let me say that this is not an Ad.

Looks like an ad to me too. But that's cool, cuz it looks like a cool product. Anybody on here try one yet?

hot like a box of fire
    [QUOTE=giantrider]
    Quote Originally Posted by kenavery7

Looks like an ad to me too. But that's cool, cuz it looks like a cool product. Anybody on here try one yet?

I've had one for a few weeks. I'm extremely impressed. Construction is top notch, and its definitely the most well-thought-out, sturdiest solution. It feels like it might be a bit heavier than the other tensioners available, but that's easily outweighed by the flawless performance.

no gears, no tears
    Quote Originally Posted by a nice cake
    I've had one for a few weeks. I'm extremely impressed. Construction is top notch, and its definitely the most well-thought-out, sturdiest solution. It feels like it might be a bit heavier than the other tensioners available, but that's easily outweighed by the flawless performance.
    Cool. Might hafta order meself one. Looks like it'd be better than the surly i tried. Don't really care about weight, well i do, but a few grams here or there makes no difference.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by giantrider
    Cool. Might hafta order meself one. Looks like it'd be better than the surly i tried. Don't really care about weight, well i do, but a few grams here or there makes no difference.
    It's actually made more for the urban aSSault type bike. The plate is thick and the two bolt mounting makes it so you can grind ledges/rails on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

I thought it was a beer!

Rollenlager sounds like a cool name for somebodys home brew. It does look like a nice tensioner too.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by a nice cake
    Thanks for the positive feedback.

Yes, it's my 3rd post.. sorry if I offended anyone..

Anyways, the weight is only 112 grams, so it's actually lighter than you think.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
    Rollenlagers are IN!!

mtbr member
    they're badass. really, they are. it's the only chain tensioner i've ever considered buying. bought one, and hot damn. if i ever feel the need to replace my Inbred for something with a derailleur hanger and nothing eccentric, i would opt for another Rollenlager. good price, too, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Can you adjust the roller side to side to align with the chain line?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by proeddie
    Can you adjust the roller side to side to align with the chain line?
    You should be able to answer that in a few days... your's was sent out last week!

But for the quick answer, yes, it is adjustable.. but only within a certain range.

It has been tested in single-speed hubs, and cassette hubs, and worked fine on 99.9% of the bikes out there.

Also, the roller has an extra wide groove for this reason.. and so you can run a complete BMX drivetrain for park use...

...shouldn't be a problem.
    Rollenlagers are IN!!

What day are we riding?
    Your web ordering needs some help.

I wanted silver and it never let me specify a color.

Looks like a great product.

mtbr member
    you can get any color you want, as long as it's black.

mtbr member

Questions.

But for the quick answer, yes, it is adjustable.. but only within a certain range.

It has been tested in single-speed hubs, and cassette hubs, and worked fine on 99.9% of the bikes out there.

Also, the roller has an extra wide groove for this reason.. and so you can run a complete BMX drivetrain for park use...

...shouldn't be a problem.[/QUOTE]

1) Will this tensioner work with Ritchey socket drop outs?
    2) Does the tensioner have to be unbolted to remove the wheel? It's fixed at the axle and deraileur hanger, right? Sounds like it's not ideal for the XC geek, like myslef, who wants to change flats quickly.
    Last edited by KeithG; 05-20-2004 at 08:05 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithG

1) Will this tensioner work with Ritchey socket drop outs?
    2) Does the tensioner have to be unbolted to remove the wheel? It's fixed at the axle and deraileur hanger, right? Sounds like it's not ideal for the XC geek, like myslef, who wants to change flats quickly.
    1. Ritchey drop-outs, the honest answer is that "I don't know". I see your concern, so I'll have to look into that to see if it's really a problem or not.

2. If you are using a Q/R hub, than no, you don't need to remove the part... just unthread the Q/R nut, and slide the Skewer back a bit, and the wheel will drop out.

Bolt-on hubs require that the part be taken off... it's one more bolt, so no biggie if you already have the wrench out.

Either way, it's the prce you pay for not having to deal with springs.

As Ronco would say... "Set it and forget it".
    Rollenlagers are IN!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Great Product

I ordered on Wed. got it on Thurs. Rode it twice already on a supercaliber 29er. so far works great. I have mine with the chain on top, I noticed in the pic above the guy had his pushing down. I guess either way will work because mine is working great. I am also using PVC spacers and some cheap cog. good way to switch. Thanks Ken for the fast service!! Later Brady

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkendall
    I ordered on Wed. got it on Thurs. Rode it twice already on a supercaliber 29er. so far works great. I have mine with the chain on top, I noticed in the pic above the guy had his pushing down. I guess either way will work because mine is working great. I am also using PVC spacers and some cheap cog. good way to switch. Thanks Ken for the fast service!! Later Brady
    No problem!

I ship the same day I get the paypal as a general rule.

BTW, you are correct... the part can be run either up or down, but I initially intended the part to be run as it is in the top picture.

This way, if you do grinds, the chain is protected by the curved design of the roller end of the main "L" structure.

Some bikes work better with the pushed down though, so no biggie. The curved bit is actually big enought to still protect the chain pretty well in the application.

Thanks Inbred for throwing those pics up. Your ride looks tight!

PS- we at Rennen are in the process of changing our site... so it'll be a bit more friendly for you guys. Thanks for you patience in the mean time!
    Rollenlagers are IN!!

mtbr member
    for the record, i have it pushing down so the Rollenlager isn't so close to the chainstay. pushing up, it was about 1mm away. i still love this thing, though.

ken, do you post on HCOR? are you MaxxisGuy?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    for the record, i have it pushing down so the Rollenlager isn't so close to the chainstay. pushing up, it was about 1mm away. i still love this thing, though.

ken, do you post on HCOR? are you MaxxisGuy?
    Cool deal. Run it how you like it... it will work either way.

Yeah, I am MaxxisGuy.

I design all their bike treads for them (through my consulting company..which is now Rennen), so I picked that name a while back.

I've done treads for Lopes, Hans Rey, Alison Dunlap, Mirra... the Minion Series... blah blah blah.

Are you stalking me? HA!
    Rollenlagers are IN!!

mtbr member
    wow, design the treads. that's awesome...and to think i just thought you were a huge Maxxis fan. so i can come to you and ask about how different my bike will feel if i put a smaller, 2.1 High Roller on it, huh? the 2.5 is overkill, in my opinion (despite the fact that it's a rigid bike), and doesn't match up with the 2.0 Larson TT in the rear (which is god damn badass tire). i was worried the smaller tire might throw me off a little. i love the cornering characteristics of the 2.5 now. will i lose that going to the 2.1?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by the Inbred
    wow, design the treads. that's awesome...and to think i just thought you were a huge Maxxis fan. so i can come to you and ask about how different my bike will feel if i put a smaller, 2.1 High Roller on it, huh? the 2.5 is overkill, in my opinion (despite the fact that it's a rigid bike), and doesn't match up with the 2.0 Larson TT in the rear (which is god damn badass tire). i was worried the smaller tire might throw me off a little. i love the cornering characteristics of the 2.5 now. will i lose that going to the 2.1?
    Well, here is the thing... The highroller also comes in a 2.35, which may be your best bet. If you are worried about weight, you can always get them in single-ply casing as well, so that might be an option.

The 2.1 is really an XC tire. It has MAD grip for an XC tire, but you will notice the difference when pinging through rocks and roots off road. The larger volume of the 2.5 you are used to (which dampens vibration), will not be there...

You really should look into the Hansventure 2.35. That tire is UNREAL. It rolls fast, and corners better than the highroller on every surface except for extreme mud.

If you ride a lot of hardpack to medium terrain, go with the Hansventure. It's gotten stellar reviews from MTN-x racers to Trails riders... freeriding is encapsulated in there somewhere.

And the tread sort of looks like a Transformer... (shh don't tell anyone where I get my ideas!).

Read Hans' review of the design on the Rennen Site.
    Rollenlagers are IN!!

mtbr member
    May 2004

hansventure

Where can I get the hansventure? I was looking at various sites and couldnt find em...