Rock Guard or no Rock Guard- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Rock Guard or no Rock Guard

I had to replace my front chain ring cause it broke on my friday night ride. My LBS had a Race Face 32/ 4 bolt crank, but its a little thicker then the chain ring that came with my truvativ crank, which is good, but doesnt allow me to use my rock guard. Where i ride there are a couple log crossings that the crank hits, but other then that there are no worries. Would it be better taking this chain ring back and getting a thinner one so the rock guard will fit, or better yet are there thinner rock guards on the market that would fit my crank.. Thanks for all your help..
    Chris

Nat
    mtbr member
    I hit log crossings all the time and haven't damaged my ring sans bashguard. Unless your logs are made of petrified wood or something, I'd try it without it.

igoslo
    Depends on what your crossing, my bashring is really chewed from crossing rocks. If there weren't the big rocks I don't think I'd run a bashring.

Out spokin'
    I agree with Nat & SoloRider. If you gnash rocks, use a rock ring. But if logs are all you smack with your chain & ring, I say go without.

I cross logs frequently, don't run a guard ring and have never suffered damage to my chainring or chain. In my world, bolting a guard ring to my bike makes as much sense as carrying a spare seatpost or some other superfluous thing of equal & extra weight.

Others need a guard ring cuz they grind. To each his own.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

The man who fell to earth
    I've run the 4 bolt 104mm spider cranks like you have there for years and years and years and have never broke or bent a ring or crank; and I don't use a bashguard. I do a fair number of log crossings too where it gets scuffed often, although I never encounter rocks like that (I'm ~185lbs btw). Unless you're a really aggressive rider who hammers the bike up onto logs or rocks every ride, I'd just use a sturdy steel or DH alum ring and give it a shot without the guard. Just make sure you use steel crank bolts, and remember they sell stubby (shorter) crank bolts that are designed to bolt a single ring to the crank without a bashguard.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't worry about not having a rock ring if you only hit logs. If you really still want the bash ring just get longer bolts for the chainring from your friendly LBS.

Members who have read this thread: 0