Road Gearing- Mtbr.com

Thread: Road Gearing

The Riddler

Road Gearing

Thinking about turning my road bike into a winter singlespeed rig. Wondering if anybody had any suggestions for gearing. I live in New England, so no big climbs, but lots of steep ones. Expert level rider if that helps. thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I run 44x17 on my SS Sycip Cross bike ... no probs with short steep stuff and its great on rolling terrain ... no problems with cruising in the 30-35 km/h zone ....

French for "Suck"
    44-16 for fixed in NE. No climbs I can't get up (all road, of course), and it teaches you to spin on the downhills.

Who are the brain police?
    I keep a 2:1 on my (new england) SS commuter. My knees don't like anything else and I don't mind spinning...
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have a question along the same lines. I'm planning on building up a road ss with 44x16 freewheel, and I'd also like to get a track cog so that I could run it fixed. Would the track cog need to be the same size as a freewheel or should I get one bigger or smaller than that?

mtbr member
    Normally the fixed side is a smaller cog (bigger gear) because you can't coast. With a free wheel you can spin up to a very high rpm and then coast. I would go down 1 tooth and see how you like it.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

Members who have read this thread: 0