Road/commuting gear...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Road/commuting gear...

I just discovered the joy of commuting with my Monocog 29er and I'm still experimenting with different gearing. Yesterday I tried a 17t to go with my 32t chainring, today a 16t giving me 58 gear inches. I thought SSing was supposed to be simple. Now I'm always ordering cogs and calculating gear inches. So far I've stayed on the relatively flat part of town and when I do stand up for a short riser I feel undergeared. Sitting down and spinning I could use a few more gear inches as well. But here's my delimna; I'll mostly be riding offroad so I want to easily be able to return to 32/20. I may have to go to a dinglespeed but I'd rather not. So what are you on/off road riders doing for commuting/offroad gearing? How hilly/flat are your road rides?

Fahrrad fahren
    Couple of options:
    a. Don't be in such a hurry. Burn and coast and be happy with an overall lower speed.

b. Gears.
    Fixing Frederick Coasting Carroll Wandering Washington

Nov 2005
    I have my RLMC29er set up 32/16 for pretty much everything. I do wish I had something a little taller for riding to work. For the trails near Chicago the 32/16 actually works pretty good as long as nobody gets in your way on climbs.

I'm thiinking about going doublespeed (dinglespeed sound goofy) with 36/18 for trails and 38/16 for riding to work.

mtbr member
    On my ss (26" wheels) I use 34 x 18 gearing. I am not sure how this works out in gear inches or transfers to 29ers, but it works great for me when commuting and when off roading it. I live in the mountains of VA so I do have to work a bit to get up hills, but that is part of the fun.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

Members who have read this thread: 0