Riveted/Spotwelded Chainrings- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Riveted/Spotwelded Chainrings

I "found" a Diamondback Sedonia SE the other day (long story, don't want to get into that now!).

Anyway, I would like to convert this to a SS and would like to know if it's possible to somehow remove the chainrings by hacksawing them off and drill out and reuse the bolt holes (It's an Acera X crank) . It looks like it's a 94/58 BCD compact drive hole pattern but I didn't measure it.

Well this is probably a stupid question but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. The search forum doesn't work on my 'puter for some reason...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Ridr
    I "found" a Diamondback Sedonia SE the other day (long story, don't want to get into that now!).

Anyway, I would like to convert this to a SS and would like to know if it's possible to somehow remove the chainrings by hacksawing them off and drill out and reuse the bolt holes (It's an Acera X crank) . It looks like it's a 94/58 BCD compact drive hole pattern but I didn't measure it.

Well this is probably a stupid question but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. The search forum doesn't work on my 'puter for some reason...
    You'd better measure those bolt circles carefully, often those cheap cranksets have entirely non-standard bolt patterns.

Steamroller

It's been done

In my opinion it is easier to find a decent suitable new or used crank with removable rings in a standrad four or five bolt pattern.

If you must use this crank and the rings are still servicable, consider cutting or grinding off the little ring and then grind the teeth off the big ring leaving it as a bash ring, the middle ring is retained and used as is. This way works, I've seen it done pretty effectively on a friends bike.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the info, Mattman. I might just try that, but I haven't decided exactly what to do with it yet (well, I know it's going to be a SS!) since this will be my fourth mtn bike I'm converting to one speed.

Correction: my bike is a Diamondback SORRENTO, not SEDONIA (I think that's a Giant). I'm getting my bike models mixed up!

Members who have read this thread: 1