RIP American Bottom brackets- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Bonking ... not feelin' well RIP American Bottom brackets

Well it's almost official the American bb has just about gone the way of the dodo bird. Just look at a newer dans catalog, almost no frames with American bb. I like the giant bb bearings with redline flights or profile bmx cranks, no really special tools needed just a large rubber mallet and something to tighten the crank bolts. Those bearing last almost forever also, even with bigger spindles.
    Would any custom frame builders make a ss mtbike with an american bb? Or would they just laugh at you?? Just wondering.
    I think texas firemans crusers are still made with american bb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by single1x1
    Well it's almost official the American bb has just about gone the way of the dodo bird. Just look at a newer dans catalog, almost no frames with American bb. I like the giant bb bearings with redline flights or profile bmx cranks, no really special tools needed just a large rubber mallet and something to tighten the crank bolts. Those bearing last almost forever also, even with bigger spindles.
    Would any custom frame builders make a ss mtbike with an american bb? Or would they just laugh at you?? Just wondering.
    I think texas firemans crusers are still made with american bb.
    I have about 15 to 20 american B/B's left in my shop right now , you want a bike built with one heck no problem !

The real reason everyone is moving away from americam B/B's is the is no real standard for width or bearing size for this standard .

There are 2 newer standards on the market

Spanish B/B : similer to EURO but this standard uses a pressfit 37mm bearing that pop fits into the frame , I have been building frames withthis standard since September and I flat out love them so do most of my customers !

The other new standard is MID or NY B/B
    This si origonated by the FBM factory and uses a standard Profile B/B bearing and is very similer to the Spanish B/B
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Good for nothin'

Good riddance!

Primitive, hard to install, harder to remove, and totally unnecessary unless you're using a one-piece crank, it's about time the BMX industry moved into the 21st century. Installing parts on a nice bike with a hammer isn't my idea of progress. The only good one is the Profile Evolution, because they actually figured out how to incorporate threads into the design. You can take the rest of them, melt 'em down, and turn them into something useful -- like a beer can.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'l Bastard
    Primitive, hard to install, harder to remove, and totally unnecessary unless you're using a one-piece crank, it's about time the BMX industry moved into the 21st century. Installing parts on a nice bike with a hammer isn't my idea of progress. The only good one is the Profile Evolution, because they actually figured out how to incorporate threads into the design. You can take the rest of them, melt 'em down, and turn them into something useful -- like a beer can.
    In no way am I defending the American B/B standard !
    Even the Profile Evolution had inherent problems such as there was no set standard for the cup / BB interface so most of the time the Evolution was either to sloppy or just as hard to pressing as a normal profile cup .

The Spanish B/B with the 37-mm pop fit bearing is best overall new B/B standard released. With it's similarities to the current offerings from Shimano and Race Face it wont be long until you see a major swing in the MTB industry to get rid of the EURO set up for a similar standard .
    Look at the popularity of internal headset's , it wont be long until people start improving on the EURO B/B with there own similar press or pop fit bearing B/B.

The general direction of thinking right now within the collective design circles in the bicycle industry lean toward 2 standards both very similar to each other in their own right.
    A variation of the Spanish B/B with-the 37-mm pop fit bearing
    and
    A beefier version similar to the MID using larger dia bearings that press-fit into the frame.

The MID will have a larger outer DIA similar to the older American press-fit cups which we all love to hate so much . This is also the american standard american bmx manufactories like Profile and FBM have been pushing this as the new bmx do all b/b

The Spanish 37-mm is a much more adaptable standard that could be greeted by the MTB market with-open arm with the right marketing .
    Spanish B/B have a much wider compatibility to current frame designs and avaible parts.

Get ready there is a big change comming in the next 2-3 years .

BTW Beer can are made from Aluminun ....genius
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

is a hammer still needed?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    In no way am I defending the American B/B standard !
    Even the Profile Evolution had inherent problems such as there was no set standard for the cup / BB interface so most of the time the Evolution was either to sloppy or just as hard to pressing as a normal profile cup .

The Spanish B/B with the 37-mm pop fit bearing is best overall new B/B standard released. With it's similarities to the current offerings from Shimano and Race Face it wont be long until you see a major swing in the MTB industry to get rid of the EURO set up for a similar standard .
    Look at the popularity of internal headset's , it wont be long until people start improving on the EURO B/B with there own similar press or pop fit bearing B/B.

The general direction of thinking right now within the collective design circles in the bicycle industry lean toward 2 standards both very similar to each other in their own right.
    A variation of the Spanish B/B with-the 37-mm pop fit bearing
    and
    A beefier version similar to the MID using larger dia bearings that press-fit into the frame.

The MID will have a larger outer DIA similar to the older American press-fit cups which we all love to hate so much . This is also the american standard american bmx manufactories like Profile and FBM have been pushing this as the new bmx do all b/b

The Spanish 37-mm is a much more adaptable standard that could be greeted by the MTB market with-open arm with the right marketing .
    Spanish B/B have a much wider compatibility to current frame designs and avaible parts.

Get ready there is a big change comming in the next 2-3 years .

Since the spanish and mid bb's are still press in is a hammer needed for instilation or a type of bb/hs press? Which one uses the bearing from a american bb minus the alloy cups? I would think that one would show the most promise. big bearings, and there are lots of american bb around which you can take the bearings out of so no need to buy new bearings if you buy the american version of profiles since it is cheaper then the euro version.

Good for nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil4bc
    BTW there's a new Spanish standard beer can made out of steel that is going to transform the beverage industry in the next 2-3 years... dumbass.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    euro bb's arent the best idea for bmx's. the fat spindles paired with the small shell leaves little room for bearings. ISIS bb's have this problem also. spanish bb's or something similar seem to be the next answer.

but, im not bashing bmx's with euro bb's, ive got one. im using the oddyssey 41 thermal crankset, im happy with the setup, but i wont be surprised if i have to replace the bb someday!

Members who have read this thread: 0