Thread: Rim selection

mtbr member
    May 2004

Rim selection

I want to order a new set of wheels today, eno rear, pauls front, but I need some rim suggestions. I'm looking at the following rims

Mavic 715
    Dt XR4.1
    Bonty Mustang
    Sun CR18

I am 5'11", 185lbs

Any experiences would be great. I'm leaning towards the mavics b/c I can have meand todd build the wheels, any other suggestions.

Kelly

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

make yourself feel great....

Quote Originally Posted by patpend2000
    I want to order a new set of wheels today, eno rear, pauls front, but I need some rim suggestions. I'm looking at the following rims

Mavic 715
    Dt XR4.1
    Bonty Mustang
    Sun CR18

I am 5'11", 185lbs

Any experiences would be great. I'm leaning towards the mavics b/c I can have meand todd build the wheels, any other suggestions.

Kelly
    ...about yourself and build them yourself. It ain't hard, and when yer done and yer riding' them you will wonder why you ever paid somebody way too much money to do something you can do for free.

mtbr member
    i just got some salsa semi rims so far im pretty impressed .

King Pin

Good job!

Dan,

Ed hooked you on the Semi's too, eh?

Wonderful rims. I'm quite satisfied as well!

Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan
    i just got some salsa semi rims so far im pretty impressed .

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    ...about yourself and build them yourself. It ain't hard, and when yer done and yer riding' them you will wonder why you ever paid somebody way too much money to do something you can do for free.

I have always been afraid wheel maintenance, let alone building up my own wheel. Are there any good guides out there?

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

wheel building...

i have used mike t.'s and sheldon brown's websites as reference in the past. for actual building, i use zinn's book. it seems as though 3x lacing is a good way to lace and it's relatively easy (not to mention, it built a nice strong wheel).

i just built my third set of wheels a few days ago, here's a link to them (it's the last set in the thread);
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=51810

building wheels takes abit of patience, but it is fun. there's alot of pride in it too. all the wheels i have built have been very reliable with no problems. heck, the first set i built has some crazy ass hop, but they never went out of true. i just tore that set of wheels down to build another set hopefully next week.

also, just a tip...use the pedro's pro spoke wrenches...very nice with both u and diamond shape openings (it's kinda like having a spokey and park tool in one!!!).

i used my frame do build my first set of wheels. now, i use the performance spin doctor stand. it was $35 in store after a price match from the performance website. it's a decent stand, and has served me well. for spoke tension, i just go on feel.

cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by anand
    I have always been afraid wheel maintenance, let alone building up my own wheel. Are there any good guides out there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xrmattaz
    Dan,

Ed hooked you on the Semi's too, eh?

Wonderful rims. I'm quite satisfied as well!
    ya i had an old mavic on the front of the surly &a really strong 519 with surly hub in back .
    i busted the front shimano axle in two spots so ed hooked me up with salsa semi&surly front hub really a nice set up,price was great the rim has a profile thats alittle different that
    i like

mtbr member
    build your own with DT rims.

Penis Goat!
    I agree with Kam completely...you really should try. I just built up my first wheel a couple of months ago, and it's been fine so far. There's nothing quite like the pride of riding on a bike with a wheel you built yourself.

I also used the combination of Sheldon Brown's and Mike T's wheelbuilding guides. Sheldon's gives VERY easy to understand, step-by-step instructions on the entire process, and Mike T's includes some good tips. I also included John Allen's article and chart on checking spoke tension via musical notes.

Here's a link to a 320kb Word Document file I put together using the three articles, copied-and-pasted. I'm not making any money on this, and I'm not doing anything you couldn't do, so I doubt any copyright infrigement is going on. I removed hyperlinks and changed the margins so each new section on the wheelbuilding process starts on the top of a new page.

http://locker.uky.edu/~bcelme2/bike/Wheelbuilding Guide.doc

And contrary to what the Inbred says, I'd stick with Sun rims. They're simply good, inexpensive, strong, and decently light rims.

Good luck!
    Brian

blame me for missed rides
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    i can email you the wheelbuilding chapter in barnett's manual if you want it.