Yeet so hard

Rigid Wheel build help

I am trying to build some new wheels for my rigid 29er and I need some help selecting hubs and some overall advice on if my proposed build is a good call or not.

The plan:
    Velocity P35 rims 32 spokes (Lumberjack plaid color of course)
    DT Swiss Competition double butted spokes

Now I was looking at the surly rear hubs cause they seem widely used so I assume they are good (and they are a nice price). Any suggestions for front or rear hub? Im trying to keep the cost down for these.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Surly hubs are good, but are ultimately still only as durable as the bearings you use. I heard something a while back about premature wear on Surly hubs due to the way the bearing seat is machined, don't know if that has since changed.

Another consideration: front hubs tend to last forever regardless of manufacturer, rear ones not so much. You could always get a nice inexpensive front (Surly, Formula, XT) and actually spend some $$$ on the rear.

Much of this kind of consideration depends on your riding style and environment. Drops, technical rock bashing, jumps, sand, mud, water, etc are going to be the things that separate the cheap hubs from the high-dollar ones.

That said, I have a White Industries hub in one rear wheel, and an XT in another, both thoroughly abused, and both still work like new. The XT takes maintenance, the WI does not.
    For me, riding bikes is not a hobby, it is a way of life.
    http://natureofmtness.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset1123 View Post
    Another consideration: front hubs tend to last forever regardless of manufacturer, rear ones not so much. You could always get a nice inexpensive front (Surly, Formula, XT) and actually spend some $$$ on the rear.
    I ended up with a X9 on the front and Hope on the back for one wheelset. Runs well, with no issues so far. At the end of the day, the front hub is just aluminium with bearings. Upgrade the bearings if you want.

mtbr member
    Had my wheelset built up last year by the folks at Bike 29. Stans ZTR Flow, DT Swiss spokes, Hope Pro II hubs, these kick major *ss as far as I'm concerned. Well over 2k miles on this wheelset, and it's holding up to major abuse.
    2008 Trek 69er SS
    2010 Vassago Jabberwocky SS