Rigid SS Race Tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rigid SS Race Tires?

What's everyone running on their rigid bikes? I've been through a lot of tires lately trying to find a combo that works well on loose over hard and haven't settled on anything yet. I'm trying to find a combo that can corner on a trail that's essentially covered in marbles and not slip while trying to climb.

Combos I've tried recently on 26mm internal rims. Bike is a niner One 9. No clearance issues on the front. Around a 2.3 limit on the rear

Ikon 2.35 / Ikon 2.35 - Great all around combo, but I got tire rub in the rear. Front isn't bad but could use a little more traction

Ikon 2.35 / Ikon 2.2 - Didn't like the small ikon. Not enough grip for loose climbs or corners

Ikon 2.35 / Ardent Race 2.2 - Best I've found so far as long as trails aren't too loose. Rear is decent on climbs.

Ardent 2.4 / Ardent Race 2.2 - Front feels somewhat vague in the loose rocks and is heavy. Seems to have higher cornering limits than the ikon.

Ardent 2.4 / Specialized Ground Control 2.1 - Like this rear tire on loose climbs but lack of volume and rolling resistance is noticeable

DHRII 2.3 / Ardent Race 2.2 - Front has amazing traction but is lacking a little in volume and doesn't roll as fast as other fronts.

DHR II 2.3 / Minion SS - Rear has no braking or climbing traction

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Hans Dampf is a nice high volume front with racing Ralph or nobby nic rear, Vittoria Barzo is really good front or rear, the Goma while a little heavy and knobbier it's the largest 29er tire out there

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Before I sold it, I had been running a Geax AKA 2.2 front and Mezcal 2.1 rear on my Monocog 29er. This combo provided reasonably fast rolling/acceleration thanks to the semi-slick Mezcal and good grip (at least for relatively hardpacked/sandy trails) out front from the AKA. I never raced the bike, but I think the combo would have held up nicely for cross country racing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I like the spesh Ground Controls with the control casing... 2.3 front 2.1 rear. They seem to be the best all around for grip and really roll pretty well. They aren't too terribly heavy either. They set up tubeless really well.

edit: Air pressure is key with them though as they suck above 30 psi. Closer to 20-24psi is golden though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    I like the spesh Ground Controls with the control casing... 2.3 front 2.1 rear. They seem to be the best all around for grip and really roll pretty well. They aren't too terribly heavy either. They set up tubeless really well.

edit: Air pressure is key with them though as they suck above 30 psi. Closer to 20-24psi is golden though.
    I tore a sidewall on one last year, so my current ground control 2.1 has the grid casing. Still not too heavy at 700g though. I have a 2.3 with control casing I could try on the front. Never have used one on my SS though.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by KgB View Post
    ...Vittoria Barzo is really good front or rear, the Goma while a little heavy and knobbier it's the largest 29er tire out there
    I have Barzos F/R on my 29 SS, and had Gomas on my 26 FS bike...would recommend both tires.
    Barzos are reasonably light at 600g for a 29, roll fast, and grip pretty well for XC. I've found traction is more PSI dependent than other tires.
    The Gomas roll surprisingly well for a chunky-knob 2.4 tire and are huge volume. Super cushy ride. The Sticky compound is freaking velcro on dirt. They're decent weight, but I could feel the extra mass on the first few rides.
    I want to try Goma 29 on my SS, they were a *TRUE* 2.4 when mounted, which was awesome. My Barzos are labeled 2.25, but my calipers say more like 2.15-2.2 on Stans Arches.

For a rigid SS, I'd go with a Goma. The volume is almost flirting with a smaller plus-sized tire.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I used Ikons 2.35 front 2.2 rear but if the rear ever wore out I would go 2.35 front/rear.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    You need wider rims and lower pressures.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    You need wider rims and lower pressures.
    Rims are 26mm internal (Nox Teocalli). Running around 22 psi front and 25 psi rear. Had a set of 30mm internal (Roval Traverse SL Fattie) on the same bike, but didn't really notice much of a difference between the two.

mtbr member
    I've been using 40mm rims for the last 18 years. There's a big difference in feel of a tyre on that compared to on a narrower rim. I regard anything less than 35mm as narrow these days.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr memeber
    Quote Originally Posted by coke
    What's everyone running on their rigid bikes?
    My SS is a hardtail and I'm not going to mention what's on it because I think it slips on the rear a little too much anyway.

But you've got such an interesting list there I wish you could try a Continental Trail King on the rear so you could give your personal comparison. Unfortunately it's probably not a very good race tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jpre View Post
    My SS is a hardtail and I'm not going to mention what's on it because I think it slips on the rear a little too much anyway.

But you've got such an interesting list there I wish you could try a Continental Trail King on the rear so you could give your personal comparison. Unfortunately it's probably not a very good race tire.
    I've had good luck for the most part with maxxis and I think it helps knowing which of their tires will work on my different bikes after riding so many. A friend of mine uses trail and mountain kings and likes them, but I have no personal experience.

The Ikon 2.35 is perfect for most trails, but I haven't found a maxxis tire yet that I really like for racing on rocky loose trails. If they ever make an Ardent Race 2.35; I believe it will work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    WTB Exiwolf 2.35 is what I run on my rigid single speed race bike.

mtbr member
    Put a 2.3 ground control on the front last night. I had a chance to hold a 2.4 Ardent exo (mostly new), ikon 2.35 exo (mostly new), 2.2 ikon (mostly new), 2.3 ground control (mostly new), and a 2.1 ground control (used). Just based on feel, the sidewalls on the ardent were the thickest. The 2.35 ikon and 2.3 gc were very close, with the ikon being slightly thicker. The 2.1 gc was by far the thinnest, but it also had the most miles on it so I can't say for sure.

Based on numbers, look of the tread, and feel of the sidewalls, I think the 2.3 Ground Control and 2.1 Ground Control Grid may work. Going to ride later today to test them out. Hope I like them because I'm getting tired of changing tires lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Many good suggestions here; it's hard to recommend without knowing exactly what conditions you will be riding... but the faster rolling tires that I use:

Front- Geax Seguaro 2.2 (regular version which is lighter than the TNT version) rolls fast and has good volume. For a bit more bite (possibly suiting the loose-over-hardpack criteria) I like Conti X-King Racesport 2.4, again the regular version which is lighter than the tubeless specific and puncture resistant variants. If running tubeless, this tire (Racesport version) does seem to constantly weep tiny amounts of sealant through the sidewalls. Not enough to bother me, but worth mentioning.

Rear- Conti Race King 2.2 has volume more like a 2.4 and at low pressure has surprising traction considering the minimal (but super fast) tread pattern. Ikon 2.2 (I think?) offers a little more bite. Finally, the Seguaro I mentioned above is nice on the rear for even more climbing traction... and can be mounted "backwards" for more bite at the cost of rolling resistance.

Above are setups I like for fast rolling, mostly dry (especially the RaceKing) conditions. I ride a steel, rigid SS on narrow (21mm wide internal) rims, tubeless with homebrew sealant. At 160lbs I run between 22-24 psi.

YMMV...

Edit- just re-read your op, and noticed you don't like the ikon on the rear. The Seguaro is really nice on the back; it's fine on the front but not as planted as the XKing on the front...

Sent using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jten9 View Post
    Many good suggestions here; it's hard to recommend without knowing exactly what conditions you will be riding... but the faster rolling tires that I use:

Sent using Tapatalk
    Thanks. Tried to find a picture but didn't have any luck. Basically a very hard dirt foundation with pea to golfball ball size loose rocks over the top

mtbr member
    I'm on 3.25" front tire (Duro Crux) and a 3.0" rear tire (WTB Bridger). These are 27.5 tires on 40mm rims being run on a 29er Carver frame and Salsa steel fork. They are heavy, but they let me ride faster overall on my rocky/techy trails because I can carry more speed through the rough stuff and around corners. I'm not crazy about the Bridger, feels kindof slow and heavy. I'd love to get my hands on one of the Schwalbe 3.0 tires.

Over the years I have run MANY combinations of 29er tires on a rigid SS, and every time I tried something wider I liked it better!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Curious how the GC combo works out for you. Oddly enough I commuted on mine today which includes about 4 miles of hard dirt road with some marble to golf ball + gravel laid over top. I think that defines loose over hardpack. I liked it. They sucked on the road, but were no worse than the SB8's i've used on that route. They gripped REALLY well on the steep gravel climbs (15-20% grades at spots). They rolled pretty well too.

mtbr member
    Very happy with them. Did everything I wanted and was also caught off guard by how much more braking I had. I may end up changing the rear to a 2.3 if I can find one, but for now the 2.1 will work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Bontrager Chupacabra 29x3.0 front
    Bontrager XR2 Team 29x2.35 rear
    Velocity P35 hoops.

Love this setup way better than the lighter RaRa's F/R

The White Jeff W
    Snakeskin Racing Ralphs on my rigid ss. 2.35 front - 2.25 rear - tubeless. Great grip, roll great and take a beating. Love 'em.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Ardent 2.4 front, 2.25 rear... The Ardent is one of the best do-it-all tires on the market in my opinion. I know there are a lot of good tires out there, but I have a hard time getting away from the Ardents. I have never had any serious holes/cuts/scrapes, and they deal with every situation I encounter.

SS Pusher Man
    Sorry, but DHRII's just don't scream out SS Race Tire to me. Seems like way too much tire.
    Bicycles don’t have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    Rear 2.25 thunder burt, front 2.2 wtb bronson. I got the bronson free, I wish it was wider. This set up rolls very good imo.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DualRollers View Post
    Ardent 2.4 front, 2.25 rear... The Ardent is one of the best do-it-all tires on the market in my opinion. I know there are a lot of good tires out there, but I have a hard time getting away from the Ardents. I have never had any serious holes/cuts/scrapes, and they deal with every situation I encounter.
    What pressures are you running them at?

mtbr member
    Tore a sidewall on the 2.3 Ground Control in less than 3 miles. Think I'll have to try grid on the front.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    Tore a sidewall on the 2.3 Ground Control in less than 3 miles. Think I'll have to try grid on the front.

I'm still liking the Grid rear on my SS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post

Wow, sorry to hear that. I've ridden at some pretty rocky places (Rocky Ridge Pa, French Creek, etc.) and never had issues with control casing. Maybe I'm just slow :-)

Downcountry AF
    I'm in favor of more aggressive, wider tires for the conditions you describe. loose over hard is even more of a pain on a rigid SS IMO. I don't like having to tip toe through sections like that, constantly wondering/waiting for the tires to break loose. people who recommend file tread 2.1's clearly have no experience on steep, or off camber, loose over hard with marble size gravel.

that said, i think it depends how seriously you take your racing. I know people who swap tires depending on the race course. are you willing to give up grip for a little less rolling resistance? i personally favor grip over rolling resistance. my conditions, which often includes wet roots and rocks with mud, require a more aggressive tread in general. I'm also 205 lbs.

i have a MTN King 2.4's f/r at the moment. I've had one in front for a while, I didn't plan on using it on the rear but i got tired of looking for a more aggressive tire in the 2.35-2.4 range and i had it sitting here unused so i thought i would just try it. it's way better than the less aggressive 2.35 i previously had on the rear.

I don't think this is an ideal race setup for everyone, I have not yet raced with the new tire in the rear, but race or not I'm done with medium treads on the SS. I'm still looking for the perfect rear tire.
    Rigid SS 29er
    SS 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I haven't raced for a couple years but when I did I was a fan of the Saguaro in dry conditions. Good rolling resistance and wear life but decent volume. I used a suspension fork most of the time though.

Then I moved to Oregon and quickly found the limits of that tire. Predictably bad in wet but also overwhelmed when things get too loose. Right now I am using a 2.3 ground control on the back and 2.3 Purgatory on the front and I really, really like this combo. So much that I picked up the same combo in S-Works casing but 2.0 rear/2.2 front for short course racing/tamer courses. I think I finally realized that at least for me SS demands a reasonably aggressive rear tire even for racing because you will end up losing time/walking if you spin out on a climb and I can never maintain perfect climbing technique when redlining. Ironically I think I could get away with a faster rear tire for just riding around because my body English is better when my heart is not trying to escape out of my throat on every climb.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    2.35 racing Ralph front, 2.2 ikon rear.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Bontrager XR3 team on the rear, WTB Vigilante on the front. Too much tire on both ends, but I ride some decidedly non-xc trails with it and I'm prone to tearing the sidewalls out of "race" tires. The vigilante has stupid amounts of grip and a big casing, and the XR3 handles the loose-over-hard ball-bearings-on-plate-glass scrabble we have in East Tn pretty well. Both are set up tubeless on WTB i23 rims with no issues, but I'm staring longingly at a pitcher of wide carbon rim Kool-aid. Probably take that drink in a few months!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    One on 2.4 chunky monkey upfront, conti mountain king 2.4 rear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride454 View Post
    Bontrager Chupacabra 29x3.0 front
    Bontrager XR2 Team 29x2.35 rear
    Velocity P35 hoops.

Love this setup way better than the lighter RaRa's F/R
    Exact tire setup I have been on for the last two months except I have some nextie carbon rims. Best tires I have ever used, rolls really fast with stupid amount of traction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Bontrager tyres are way under-rated. Good to see them get some mentions here.

XR3/ XR2 is a tough, fast rolling grippy combo that works well for me in almost all conditions

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I prefer 17 / 17 tire pressure on my SS rigids

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
    What tires? Rims? Tubeless? Weight?

Sent using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky73 View Post
    If I went that low I would kill my carbon rims. Roots and rocks at speed kills carbon at that low a pressure, it's an expensive lesson.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    on my Cannondale SS-Rigid I am on enve m50 rims tubeless wit racing ralph front (2.35) and rear (2.25 or 2.10).

My IF SS-Rigid is on gum walled Maxxis Argent 2.45(?) and 2.25 and I run those 17 to 18 too - they are awful over 22lbs and the rims are Stans Flow

Im 5-9 / 160lbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I was using GC 2.3 f&r which i liked. I ordered an ardent to try out. The gc rear is amazing with climbing, rarely spins

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk