Rigid SS and new trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Rigid SS and new trails

Assuming you have multiple bikes, which one do you grab when you go out to a new trail that you aren't familiar with? for my local trail that i know like the back of my hand i always grab the rigid ss now, but i am skeptical about taking it to a new trail, even if that trail is supposed to be less challenging. Challenges are different on a rigid SS, so unless i hear something like "this trail is awesome for SS" or something i would plan on taking my geared HT.

what do you guys do in these situations? just MTFU, or grab a different bike

CB2
    Jam Econo
    My favorite bike is a rigid singlespeed so I usually choose it. The rigid 1x8 is for the Winter and when I need to take it easy.

surly inbred
    I mtfu.

Mostly because I only have one sled. If I'm headed into the unknown, I'm usually more concerned with gear ratios.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TroutBum View Post
    I mtfu.

Mostly because I only have one sled. If I'm headed into the unknown, I'm usually more concerned with gear ratios.
    yea thats the type of thing i kinda worry about. learning to ride without any squish isn't really a big deal, and i would be fine riding on most xc trails i think, but if you have way too tall of a gear for a trail its just going to suck. to low could suck too, but at least you wouldn't be walking

The perfessor
    some of the flatter trails, SS, but if I'm hitting mountain trails, I go FS and geared.......
    Rigid 29er Ti SS
    KHS Solo One SE 29er
    29er SC Tallboy AL
    Paketa Magnesium Road Bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I own two rigid SS bikes.. I always take the lower geared bike on new trails. I'd rather go slow than walk..

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Between a SS rigid and a 1x9 FS. For the past few months since I went SS, not once the FS gets outta the house. LOL

It's just so much more fun!

What Trout said. I only own one bike so it has to be my de facto ride. I only own one gear ratio too so if it's too steep, I'm walking, if it's too easy, I'm going slow(er than usual).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Id scrap the passion forum all together, its a breeding ground for unicorn milkers, rainbow chasers and candy cotton farters.

Low Rep Count
    Same here! I only got one ride and its a 32:18. My gearing options all suck. I can either go up to a 33t on the front or a 16t on the rear. I need to just buy a cheap 20t for the rear at some point. Or better yet another set of wheels so I can just swap them out.

mtbr member
    For a new trail I usually bring the 1x9 front suspension 29er.

Did I catch a niner+?
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    Same here! I only got one ride and its a 32:18. My gearing options all suck. I can either go up to a 33t on the front or a 16t on the rear. I need to just buy a cheap 20t for the rear at some point. Or better yet another set of wheels so I can just swap them out.
    I just deal with even though 7 miles feels like 20 on a new trail.

If you butter me up I can mail you a 20t no charge, it's not a surly or any other wide base just a el cheapo I do not use. PM me if you want it.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Now broadcasting from CO
    It depends on what I feel like riding. I brought my rigid SS for my first time out at the Frederick Watershed, even though I knew it is not what most would consider "rigid SS friendly." I keep it around for when I think my bike handling skills are getting lazy from riding my full squish 29er race bike...
    Brought to you by rocks.

poser Administrator
    I have one mountain bike: a rigid SS 29er. I relish the days when I get to try out a new trail on it. The unexpected obstacles, the walking up hills that I didn't anticipate, the fact that when I finish i can never really remember the whole trail and can't wait to try it again and clean some of the sections I didn't before.

I would be loathe to ride a bike that made a new trail easy or doable, life's too short to clean every trail the first time. Rigid makes new trails last way way longer on the freshness scale and makes old trails seem like new when you return from a hiatus.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I would say geared at first, then SS after you are familiar with the trail.