Which rigid ss?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Which rigid ss?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Which rigid ss?

I'm thinking about getting one of these.

Surly 1x1
    Redline Monocog
    On-One Inbred
    Kona Unit

Not looking to race it, just for fun and an alternative bike.

"Mr. Britannica"
    Quote Originally Posted by avian

Surly 1x1
    Redline Monocog
    On-One Inbred
    Kona Unit

stock answer- the one that fits best

brother on a mission
    Another to consider:

KHS solo-one is rigid for 06

Just Give'r!
    khs sucks. kona unit is the choice

mtbr member

Surly 1x1
    Redline Monocog
    On-One Inbred
    Kona Unit

these all fit differently, so ya, the one that fits. I'm partial to parts spec & fit of first the inbred, then the kona bought as built up & ready to ride. dunno about the surly, since it's got too much standover for the TT length I need, and if redline has gone to 135 rear spacing, it's a viable option.

Sofa King We Todd Did
    You're mixing frameset options with complete bikes. Makes a bit of a difference if you're looking to use parts that you own already or if you're going to go shopping for parts/upgrades or if you want to score a complete bike that you can ride out of the shop and not think anymore about it.

R I D E S T E E L
    My foray into to single speeding was the Surley. Yeah, it's a bit heavy, but a pretty awesome bike, especially for the $$. Nice geometry, very solid, and steel. I wouldn't hesitate with any of the four you listed.

Peace & Love

Surly 1x1
    Redline Monocog
    On-One Inbred
    Kona Unit

If primary driver is cost, then a no-brainer and get the Monocog or the Monocog 29er due out in March.

I assume you are talking complete bike.....as such, the Unit is a very nice bike with the On-One and Surly being a bit more after you get the complete bike (though there are exceptions on ebay regarding the Inbred....lots of new ones for $650 I have seen....that would be a sweet snag).

However, in terms of a bike that will be based on a frame that you will never want to get ride of and can easily be the basis of a blinglespeed if you so choose, I would personally get the On-One. I have owned a Surly 1x1 and loved it. But just prefer On-One over surly, especially the 29er version of the Inbred.

If you are going fully rigid, the 29er wheels also make a lot of sense. While I dont agree with all the hype surrounding 29er wheels, when it comes to fully rigid, I am definitely a believer that 29er wheels are the clear choice.

So....in that case, the Surly Karate Monkey would be a choice but there is still not better deal on a quality bike than the current $990 for the Inbred 29er with sliding dropouts. The fork is fantastic and I can definitely vouch for it as a killer rigid bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Inbred looks like the best design out of those frames. My main concern is how each frame deals with disc brakes and chain tension. The Surly and Redline use horizontal dropouts which means you have to loosen up the brake caliper to remove the wheel. The Kona has sliding dropouts, but they neglected to put any type of tension screw on there. This means that adjusting chain tension would be harder than on a Surly with a Tuggnut and also that there is less to keep the dropouts from slipping when you are mashing the pedals up a steep climb. The Inbred addresses an issue I have had with my Voodoo Dambala - on the Voodoo there is nothing to resist the backwards motion created by the rear brake except the bolts holding the slider itself. I've had slippage problems because of this. On the Inbred the caliper mounts to the frame via slotted holes. It would take a little more effort to adjust the chain, but should be much better at resisting brake force. And finally, just take a look at the frame and fork on the Inbred - they are beautiful. Although white isn't my color of choice.

Your list is wrong though, it should read:
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Redline Monocog 29
    On-One Inbred 29
    Kona Unit 2-9

Unless you are under 5'6" tall, 29ers are the way to go for hardtail single speeds. Seriously. I'm sure you probably think it is some kind of a cult, but try it - you'll like it.

Peace & Love
    having had now about 6 rides on my Inbread 29er I am so far very impressed with the sliding dropout design. It does not budge. At one point I saw the rear wheel was slightly out of line and thought it was the dropouts themselves but it was my fault and the skewer was simply not tight enough which allowed the axle to move a tad within the dropout which can happen on any bike.

So far, from a cost:value perspective, I give the Inbred 29er a 10 out of 10.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I had been wanting to get into SS and just really liked the Surly. For whatever reason (maybe it's because I'm a girl, or maybe just because it's what I wanted) I wanted a white frame. Was looking at used Surly's as they don't make white 1x1's anymore. Was about to get the On*One, but found a shop online that still had white surly's avail in my size. Ordered that one.

I just started riding 5 months ago, and am still not a really good or strong rider, but after 3 rides on my 1x1, I love it. Wish I could ride it everywhere (don't tell my Stumpy!), but I just can't yet. I did make it a HT with a Fox fork. Had to cushion the blow a bit

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    I had been wanting to get into SS and just really liked the Surly. For whatever reason (maybe it's because I'm a girl, or maybe just because it's what I wanted) I wanted a white frame. Was looking at used Surly's as they don't make white 1x1's anymore. Was about to get the On*One, but found a shop online that still had white surly's avail in my size. Ordered that one.

I just started riding 5 months ago, and am still not a really good or strong rider, but after 3 rides on my 1x1, I love it. Wish I could ride it everywhere (don't tell my Stumpy!), but I just can't yet. I did make it a HT with a Fox fork. Had to cushion the blow a bit
    hey, are you calling me a girl I love white frames too.....i guess it is better than what I am usually called by my so-called friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    hey, are you calling me a girl I love white frames too.....i guess it is better than what I am usually called by my so-called friends.
    No! Just trying to come up with a reason why I had to have a white frame. It isn't a girly color or anything, but plenty of people don't care what color their frame is. Or maybe they all do and I just don't realize it

Both bikes look really nice!

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005

... and if we just ... SURLY 1x1!!!!!!!!!!

Surly!
    Surly!
    Surly!
    Surly!
    Surly!
    Surly!
    Surly!

1x1!'s rule!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    depends how much you want to spend. i'll be getting the monocog (26in) in the very near future. and that was after the a bid debate on whether I wanted to drop $950 for a gunnar ruffian frame. for some reason i either wanted to redline or something very high end and i didn't see a point in getting anything in between.but i'm weird.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by aword4you
    No! Just trying to come up with a reason why I had to have a white frame. It isn't a girly color or anything, but plenty of people don't care what color their frame is. Or maybe they all do and I just don't realize it

Both bikes look really nice!
    Too late....the bike has been stripped down to the frame and the frame sent out to be painted gunmetal grey

Members who have read this thread: 0