Rigid single speed for jumps?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Rigid single speed for jumps?

Does anyone have experience with jumping a rigid single speed mtb? I mean BMX does it right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by locolucas View Post
    Does anyone have experience with jumping a rigid single speed mtb? I mean BMX does it right?
    Well yea.......SS mbikes are just bigger BMX bikes.

No big air for me but yea....some jumping

mtbr member
    Most of the single-speed discussion on here is about cross-country and trails kind of riding. Most SS mountain bikes are designed for that and would be lousy jumpers. However, there are lots of dirt jumping-oroented bikes that have rigid forks and a single gear. These are essentially bmx bikes with big wheels. If you want a dirt jumper, get a dirt jumper.

Urban/DJ/Park - Mtbr.com

Always in the wrong gear
    I wouldn't do 'park' on a rigid, but I jump my HT all the time, with and without a rigid fork.
    I've even done hip-height drops to flat without much fuss. just land with a major rear-wheel bias.

Getting air is the primary reason I purposely set my seat height about 1.5" lower than I would for "proper leg extension" for a geared XC bike. I stand more and let my body move more.

Use those legs as suspension!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Most of the single-speed discussion on here is about cross-country and trails kind of riding. Most SS mountain bikes are designed for that and would be lousy jumpers. However, there are lots of dirt jumping-oroented bikes that have rigid forks and a single gear. These are essentially bmx bikes with big wheels. If you want a dirt jumper, get a dirt jumper.

Urban/DJ/Park - Mtbr.com
    Sorry amigo, but I'm gonna have to disagree. I took my Niner SIR9 to Northstar and had an absolute blast hitting all those jumps on Livewire. I wouldn't have had as much fun if I had the rigid fork on it, but it could've been done. XC bikes jump just fine. They just aren't as forgiving if you botch the landing.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    My only SS bike is a slopestyle frame... Morpheus Skyla. Steep HTA, short seat post, 100mm rear travel. I put a 130/160mm fork on it though. For dirt jump trails I pump the shocks up more to stiffen them. Mostly I just set it up like a mountain bike.

The only catch with SS is that by the time I got the gearing right for jumping, it was a little too much for climbing comfortably.

WillWorkForTrail
    There are little jumps all over the place if you know where to look, and big jumps in other places. I never had a problem with small jumps on my SS, but I wouldn't do larger jumps on it due to how heavy some of the impacts can be if you don't grease the landing just right. I'm simply too old to get it any less than perfect - my back tells me when I'm being stupid.

mtbr member
    When I think "jumps," I think of this:

Rigid single speed for jumps?-as_bmx_childs4_630.jpg

If I wanted to do something like that on a rigid bike, it would have to be a on DJ-specific bike. I drive by 9th Street in downtown Austin all the time and there are tons of guys on rigid 26" bikes with tall handlebars, no front brake, and a singlespeed drivetrain. rarely would you see someone with a "conventional" mountain bike riding "jumps". sometimes they have a stiff suspension fork, but most of the "mountain bikes" for dirt jumping like that are rigid.

if you're going to a spot specifically for the dirt jumps, the trails should be smooth enough that you will have no use for a suspension fork because those trails are mostly built and ridden by riders with 20" BMX bikes with rock-hard tires. if you're going to a trail that has regular trail terrain that can be rough and has jumps too, then I can see where a suspension fork would come in handy to keep your momentum. if you are riding XC trails that have a few mellow jumps in them, your regular mountain bike, rigid or hardtail, should be fine. in short, it depends on the kind of trails you are riding.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Whoops. I missed the 'rigid' part of the thread title...

Back in the 90s I bent a lot of bars and cranks while jumping rigid bikes. That was before I ever heard of "dirt jumping" as a thing. I was mostly just jumping random features on xc trails and whatever else was around.

Just adding a suspension fork made all the difference. Parts stopped failing after that. I'd be afraid to go back to rigid.

YMMV of course.