Rigid riders- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rigid riders

mtbr member

Rigid riders

Anyone out there running nice wide rims and a fat tire ? I've been using 517s and 717s as long as I can remember and was thinking about a fat p35 up front with maybe a 2.4 mutano . Do you think that would be much of a difference . I've used a mutano on the 717 but it doesn't feel very safe on that skinny rim .This is the bike I will be using it on .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rigid riders-dec05_05.jpg  

Ovaries on the Outside
    Um, I have a 2.4 on a synergy rim, which might be pushing rim width and tire size a bit, but no problems ever.

Air pressure is probably more important than tire/rim size, in my opinion. The wider rim and tire is going to effect the tire's performance. You will be the only one who can judge whether that is better or not.

mtbr member
    what's that on the picnic table? a piece of single speed bread?

mtbr member
    Gotta keep it simple . Ya know ?

mtbr member
    you can get away with running large tires on narrower rims as long as you don't run the pressure too low. Go too low and the tires will flex too much in turns and possibly even fold over. Higher pressure and/or less aggressive riding and its fine though.

I would highly recommend the wider rim. It would even give your existing smaller tires more air volume and better sidewall support, so you can run pressure a bit lower. Throw on a higher volume tire like that Mutano and you have a recipe for greatly increased comfort, especially if you can safely drop a few psi, and better traction too

mtbr member
    That's kinda what I'm thinking . I usually run my front at about 22 psi with that tire . I get the feeling that is not the best idea with the 717 .

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I have a WTB Weirwolf lt 2.55 on a 717. I actually tried a 2.6 Ardent but it wasn't any bigger and I think it may be due to the smaller rim in that a wider rim would give you the full footprint. Maybe. I don't know if anyone has actually done a test to see.

mtbr member
    What pressure are you running that tire at ?

master blaster
    i just recentl.y put a 2.35 sb8 on my moots and its so awesome. kept a 2.1 on back. psi is 30 ish

mtbr member
    I used that same set up for a year or so and there is something about the casing on those sb8's that sure does make for a cushy ride .

jdg
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I run the Weirwolf at about 30psi.

local trails rider
    My new bike is rigid. Very rigid...

I have Mavic 721 rims and Schwalbe Fat Albert 2.4" tires. Still need to experiment with pressures.

mtbr member
    I run a Weirwolf 2.55lt on a 28mm rim. I've had this set up for about 2 years and really like it.

Lately though I've been thinking about putting the Weirwolf in the rear and a 2.4 Ardent up front.

mtbr member
    DT Swiss 5.1d's wrapped with 2.4 Conti. MK's @ 27-30 psi = PLUSH!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rigid riders-1x1.jpg  

smell the saddle...
    Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    what's that on the picnic table? a piece of single speed bread?
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Ernesto you should market custom bread bags with your avatar for 'Single-Speed Bread' insert catch phrase of choice!

mtbr member
    My rimmzzzz aren't that wide. I'm running 29x2.2 tubeless though at 24psi front 28psi rear.
    :wq

smell the saddle...
    Back on topic - I run WTB LDs with 650b 2.2 Wolvs, I decided on that setup to give me the widest front (running 20psi) w/650b it works even better than my previous 26 wheel DT 4.2d w/ ExiWolf 2.3s (also 20psi front and 25 rear).

I ran Mountain King 2.4s on the DT 4.2d also. Wider the better since I run rigid and ride some rooty stuff.

mtbr member
    Nothing extravagant, but I tried to go wide ... I am running ZTR Flow rims with Nevegal 2.25 tires. I run my pressure at about 23 psi, and I really enjoy the ride.

Off the back...
    P-35 and Ardent 2.4 up front at ~25 psi, P-35 and Stout 2.35 out back at ~25 psi. Will go a wee bit lower after converting to tubeless...
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    I'd like to see a picture of that . That's what i had in mind . I can see the difference a wide rim makes from the pic that ferrisw1 posted . My mk2.4's look tiny on my 717's compared to his .

achiever
    I've been running Conti MK 2.4s on Blunts since last fall. Not bad but not quite the volume I was looking for. Was running 20 in the rear and 18 up front.

I converted to tubeless yesterday using Bontrager TLR rim strips and Maxxis Ardent 2.4. Now that's the kind of volume I was looking for... they're pretty big. I have 19 in the rear and 17 in the front and it's too much. Going to go down to 18 & 16 tomorrow morning and see how that works...

Members who have read this thread: 0