Rigid to Reba 29er and a few questions- Mtbr.com
    SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008

Rigid to Reba 29er and a few questions

Been loving Mary SS rigid 29er since early this Spring and my geared HT isn't gettin much love. Been looking for more cush and more traction in the front with a higher volume tire such as WTB Weirwolf LT:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...88#post6377488

After 24 miles of rocky rooty hardpack and loose over hardpack I've decided to put my 2009 Reba 29er SL off my HT onto my SS since I've hardly ridden the other bike since I bought Mary. It will be nice to be able to really keep my speed through the gnarl.

I have a Cane Creek S8 headset with Reba on my Rockhopper 29er and am going to bring the headset and fork over to Mary (replacing the stock FSA headset on Mary even though it's never given me any problems it's already pressed onto my Reba), put my Dart3 29er with the stock Cane Creek/Specialized headset back on my Rockhopper (cleaned and re-lubed first.) Think I over bought on the S8 headset....S3 woulda been fine, but I have it now so I'm going to use it.

My 2009 Rockhopper 29er is an XL (21") frame and a 19" (L) woulda been better fit, so I"m looking to buy a size Large frame to replace my Rockhopper or sell the whole remaining bike and look for a FS 29er. Only parts that I would keep from my Rockhopper are the Juicy 3.5 brakes, WTB Devo saddle, SLX shifters, and XT Shadow long-cage derailleur. What should I do here? Part it out, sell it whole with the downgraded original parts on it or?

Going to put a Specialized Captain 29x2.2 2Bliss (with a tube) on the front (couple friends rave about thier Captain 29x2.0) and leave the rear Nevegal reversed for tires on Mary.

Any setup tips for the Reba on my Mary SS?
    Get off the couch and ride!

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Did it! Swapped my Reba to Mary with 80mm travel setting, bought Captain 29x2.20 today....mounting tire tomorrow AM and riding it!

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Sweet, love my SS even more now. Less beating on rocks, roots, braking bumps and I can keep up on the downhills even better. Need to play with the damping, rebound etc now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedogz
    Sweet, love my SS even more now. Less beating on rocks, roots, braking bumps and I can keep up on the downhills even better. Need to play with the damping, rebound etc now.
    How's the climbing?

SSolo, on your left!
    Apr 2008
    Not as bad as I thought it would be. I leave the lockout open most the time, close it on the longer climbs unless they are really gnar. Close it on some of the flatter smoother sections, but otherwise open. Testing different settings....running 145 psi +/- going to try 145/135 for a bit less bob even though it's not bad always looking for better. We have lots of quick hard climb efforts sprinkled with rock and roots, then down and back up again. I like it so far.

Reading the Reba manual but haven't read the compression adjustment part yet....the SL 29er has no external adjuster knob for this, but have heard it's reachable with a long hex-driver. Had rebound almost wide open, but closed it down about 1/4 turn and like it better going to tighten it another 1/4 turn and see what happens there too.

Members who have read this thread: 0