Rigid Forks- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rigid Forks

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

New question here. Rigid Forks

I've got a pair of Ritchey rigid forks on my SS now, but after 5 years of use, they're getting ready to give up. I'm getting a handmade rigid fork, and have looked at 3 models: Independent Fabrication, Vicious Cycles, Soulcraft and Kelly.

A lot of people have talked sh_t about Kelly's products [even other builders, which is unusual], so I guess I'll stay away from those.

The IF forks are beautiful, but they're $300 [!!!] and take 2 months to deliver. Soulcraft forks are about the same... or more.

The Vicious Cycles forks look nice, and they're $200 and in stock.

So, my questions are: How are the Vicious Cycles forks? Do they ride well? Are they durable? Do they beat the hell out of you? Is there any significant reason why I should pay 50% more and wait several months for an IF or Soulcraft?

Are there any other makes you would recommend? [Steel, handmade, V-brake only]

Also, has anyone seen the rigid fork that Spot will be making? Everything those guys make kicks asses [I have both an SS and a geared Spot].

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Vicious

I really liked my Vicious fork. The ride quality was as good as I could expect. The only negative is the tire clearence. I think the max is 2.3 so the best tire I found was the Nokian NBX. I was happy with that setup and never really cared to go any wider.

www.jollypumpkin.com
    Jan 2004
    I just picked up a Surly 1X1 fork and am sending it off to the guy who painted my frame to match it up. Inexpensive, disc ready and should last a lifetime.

mtbr member

Vicious V.S. Surly...

I have both a Vicious Disk only and the Surly disc/V forks. I think I can tell that the Vicious is smoother for sure. The other poster is correct, the Vicious will not take Huge tires, but I run a MutanoRaptor 2.4 fine and I think the WeirWolf 2.5 will work fine unless the mud is really bad. I just tried a HighRoller 2.7 and it was fine on the surly, but would not have even moved in the Vicious. Pluses for the Vicious are ride quality and looks, minuses are cost and occasionaly I've had trouble with the wheel moving in the dropout, but only with my Paul hubs and a really hard hit on the brakes from higher speeds. I think other hubs would not have this issue. Paul hubs don't have knurling on the ends of the axle bearing caps so its more likely to happen. The Surly is a great cheap fork with Huge clearance, hard to go wrong with it but I can tell its rougher riding with a smaller tire.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tony
    I've got a pair of Ritchey rigid forks on my SS now, but after 5 years of use, they're getting ready to give up. I'm getting a handmade rigid fork, and have looked at 3 models: Independent Fabrication, Vicious Cycles, Soulcraft and Kelly.

A lot of people have talked sh_t about Kelly's products [even other builders, which is unusual], so I guess I'll stay away from those.

The IF forks are beautiful, but they're $300 [!!!] and take 2 months to deliver. Soulcraft forks are about the same... or more.

The Vicious Cycles forks look nice, and they're $200 and in stock.

So, my questions are: How are the Vicious Cycles forks? Do they ride well? Are they durable? Do they beat the hell out of you? Is there any significant reason why I should pay 50% more and wait several months for an IF or Soulcraft?

Are there any other makes you would recommend? [Steel, handmade, V-brake only]

Also, has anyone seen the rigid fork that Spot will be making? Everything those guys make kicks asses [I have both an SS and a geared Spot].

Thanks for the input.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg VF.jpg (183.3 KB, 721 views)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Vicious - V-brakes

I forgot to mention that my clearance issues were with the V-brake version. I could get bigger tires to fit but would need to deflate to fit between the brake pads. I actually switched to Shimano v's because I got a little better clearence.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thanks for the info

Man, you guys like those big ass tires! I run Panaracer XC Pro 2.1's, so clearance will not be an issue. It sounds like the Vicious fork is really the way to go. I kinda frigured that, but was waiting for someone to rush to the defense of IF or Kelly. The silence was deafening... As far as production forks go, the Surlys do ride harsh and are heavy as hell; a Kona P2 or Tange is definitely the way to go for a cheap steel fork. Thanks for the input.

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    I rode a Ritchey for about four years until it broke,and broke my face.
    I have been on a vicious for a year or so,it tracks a little better than the Ritchey not quite as plush but plusher than a Surly by far and you can get them painted to match.

I.F's look really nice but no firsthand experience other than parking lot test.
    I would not hesitate to go with the vicious especially if you went disc.
    I've been inside too long.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KgB
    Ritchey + Ribbon = Major VanDammage

I ride the Surly forks because light just isn't right.

NTW
    Last edited by NewsOfTheWorld; 08-11-2005 at 06:58 PM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Tony
    Dude, my Ritchey is heading that way too, and I'm too pretty to be horribly disfigured! I'm gonna order the Vicious from WebCyclery tonight - when I get back from riding. Thanks for the reply.
    Whichever fork you are running, look for cracks just below the crown from time to time.

NTW

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Busted Face

Quote Originally Posted by KgB
    I have been on a vicious for a year or so,it tracks a little better than the Ritchey not quite as plush but plusher than a Surly by far and you can get them painted to match.

I.F's look really nice but no firsthand experience other than parking lot test.
    I would not hesitate to go with the vicious especially if you went disc.
    Dude, my Ritchey is heading that way too, and I'm too pretty to be horribly disfigured! I'm gonna order the Vicious from WebCyclery tonight - when I get back from riding. Thanks for the reply.

R I D E S T E E L
    tony, if you didn't order yet, i'd consider the IF. i actually have a vicious. it's a great fork, so do know that. but, i have a friend who had a vicious and got an IF later on. he said the IF was the way to go. he said it performed better laterally and was a bit more plush. i really like the vicious, but it will jar you a bit. and yes, the v-brakes and even 2.1s are a bit of a pain to deal with.

if you're concerned about timeframe with an IF, i'm pretty sure speedgoat.com has them available.

good luck...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

If

IF all the way ...... I've got 3 pairs, 2 canti, one disc ...... they are exactly what I want in a rigid, stiff, yet compliant, light, strong but following Uncle Keith's Law *.... not cheap

If worth the wait IMHO

*Bontrager

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Thanks for the advice

I just got a revised time frame from IF: 3 weeks, which ain't that bad. Maybe I will just shell out the extra $100 for the IF's. Decisions, decisions...

R I D E S T E E L
    do it up!! i'd recommend you go for it. speedgoat.com says they'll ship in 7-10 days...

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Ww

Did you consider a WaltWorks fork?? they look hot

mtbr member

A vote for Kelly here!

I'm surprised no one else has given a suggestion for the Kelly. I have not heard or read any negatives about their forks. I have been running one now for about 6 months, and it is great. This is my first real rigid fork, so I cannot really compare it to the others, but am very happy with mine. It is reasonably compliant, fits BIG tires (I have a Weirwolf 2.5 with room to spare), and is cheaper than all of the other forks you mentioned. I say go for a Kelly!