Rigid fork for SS?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Rigid fork for SS?

I know this has been asked before but I need more pros and cons on wether or not to go full rigid. I am in the need of a new fork for my 26 inch. I rebuilt the old judy SL but it just is not the same. I have a Ti hard tail that I have recently converted to SS and love it so far. I am just wondering if I want to go to full rigid or not. I live in LA so no mountains but have started to ride the local trails around here and ride my SS back and forth to work. I have been looking at carbon rigid forks. I look at White bros and exotic carbon forks and look about the same minus the price which of course interest me! Should I try rigid? Please guide me in my decision in this area. Thanks and I look forward to any questions and comments.

mtbr member
    Rigid is nice for the simplicity, pedaling efficiency and weight in my opinion. I would take a look at the Bontrager RXL Switchblade. It is a very nice fork and weighs only 690g.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

local trails rider
    I like my new rigid bike. You cannot ride it like a hardtail: hitting a few rocks and roots as if you had front suspension would kill your wrists. You need a "lighter touch" (not necessarily more slow, but different).

Low Rep Count
    I made the switch about 1-2 months ago and am quite happy. I am running the White Brothers. It weighs less than half of what my old shock weighed and you can feel the weight difference in the front end of the bike.

I can't blast down some of the downhills like I was before, well, maybe not as fast but I tell you, once you get a few rides under your belt you will be surpised how fast you can still go. I would say that I am actually a little faster going up hills now at that.

At first I was going rigid simply because I did not have the funds to buy the new shock I was interested in so the sexy carbon was a good compermise imo. But now that I have it, I don't know if I would really go back to a shock unless I really started riding other locations that required it.

You will just need to get a little bit bigger tire up front (2.2 or >) and some squishy grips (ESI Chunky/Race or some Ergons) and you will be good to go.

SS or Die
    +1 for ESI Chunky Grips and a big fat tire up front
    "Be the Gear..."

mtbr member
    1SPD made some very good points. I haven’t stepped up to CF yet there is a bunch of discussions on here of different riding and handling differences between steel & CF forks. I currently ride a steel one and like 1SPD, I was too cheap to opt to buy suspension but I have no regrets and like the rigid ride better. Lighter and simple. I also can’t go as fast on rooty or technical descents but it doesn’t bother me as much when I pass everyone up on climbs.

On the purchase of CF rigid fork, Mekkem Industrial Inc. makes all rigid forks for Sasso, Lynskey, Orgin8, Exotic, Shimano Pro, White Bros, etc. (PN# MKM35CD - http://www.mekkem-parts.com/products...d=21&lang_id=0) When you get a WB fork it’s the same as the rest with a different sticker, if that’s worth the extra expense it’s your coin. Check out Nuke Proof, they make their own and right now are selling their 26” fork cheaper than anyone online. There are a few others out there too if you search enough.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input on my decision. Ya'll make some good points and I am lerning from them and doing research. I'm leaning towards getting a carbon one and seeing how I like it. I've seen a White Brothers carbon fork on here in the classifieds. I like the the exotic due to the price and the weight. Name brands are important to me but if I am just trying to figure out if I will like it its ok to have a off brand. I'm still open for any comments or suggestions you have. Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 0