Rigid fork to replace a 100mm suspension fork. Is it gonna be weird?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rigid fork to replace a 100mm suspension fork. Is it gonna be weird?

I recently bought a trek/fisher Marlin SS and the stock Suntour Xct 100mm
    is absolute rubbish and has got to go! I was about to pull the trigger on a Kona P2 rigid fork but I am unsure of how it will handle. The A-C on the Kona is 465mm and the A-C on the Suntour is ~515mm yikes! Is that 40mm gonna kill the handling? I am ok with quick steering, but not too much so.

Robtre
    I would search for a 100mm suspension corrected rigid fork ~490mm A/C. 465mm is I believe 80mm suspension corrected. A longer fork will handle different, but not going to radically change the handling. I have both on 2 different bikes, but hard to compare because completely different set-ups.
    -rides bikes for fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have a P2 fork, brand new, uncut. I'd let it go for cheap if you were interested in trying it out for giggles...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That A-C measurement for the Suntour fork is unsagged. When you are on the bike, the fork will be partially compressed from your weight and will ride lower than that. Like the others said, go with a fork around 490mm A-c.

mtbr member
    Cool, ill send you a PM. I would def be interested.

mtbr member
    Ok so RE 490mm forks, any reccomendations for one in the price range of the Kona? (~$70-$100)

Theres some China carbon ones on ebay for $100-$130, should I be wary? Carbon would be sweeeeeet though...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Carbon is sweet. China carbon for a fork? It'll probably be ok, but you won't likely get a warning if it isn't. Riding along happy one second, spitting your teeth out the next. No thanks.

mtbr member
    Isn't all the carbon manufacturing done in China?
    The issue isn't the country, it's the quality. That said, be sure to purchase from a reputable seller and I think you'll do fine. I'm not sure what to suggest, the forks I would recommend are all about 470 a-c (80mm corrected). Possibly the Soma, link below. I guess see what comes up on fleabay or locally for used for that $70-100 price range.

Soma 29er fork at 485
    Universal Cycles -- Soma 29"/27.5" MTB Disc Rigid Fork
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Nice call on the Soma. I just needed to expand my price range search a bit. I saw IRD makes a 485mm too. Id much rather get steel than carbon at that price point.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I would not trust the Chinese carbon fork says the guy with Chinese carbon bars. My bars have been fine, but a fork is an a different league.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I would not trust the Chinese carbon fork says the guy with Chinese carbon bars. My bars have been fine, but a fork is an a different league.

The Chinese carbon rims and frames seem to have a good following.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    The Chinese carbon rims and frames seem to have a good following.
    Agreed, I'm just a skeptic. In all honesty it would probably be fine, but if it failed, then it would be epic. The way I ride, I'm not willing to take that risk.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Agreed, I'm just a skeptic. In all honesty it would probably be fine, but if it failed, then it would be epic. The way I ride, I'm not willing to take that risk.

Truth. I love the carbon fork on my CX bike. Ive taken it off 10" drops and through rock gardens and its been a champ. I wont take any risk of a failure from cheapo carbon, however unlikely it might be.

Just ordered a Surly Krampus fork for $90. Its got a 483mm a2c so that sounds perfect. Plus (hehe punny) I can fit a 29+ tire someday!

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DefenderOfRock View Post
    Truth. I love the carbon fork on my CX bike. Ive taken it off 10" drops and through rock gardens and its been a champ. I wont take any risk of a failure from cheapo carbon, however unlikely it might be.

Just ordered a Surly Krampus fork for $90. Its got a 483mm a2c so that sounds perfect. Plus (hehe punny) I can fit a 29+ tire someday!
    Exactly, if you're on a budget and desired a carbon fork, I recommend picking up a white brothers or another used name brand carbon fork. If you don't desire a carbon fork follow the above user's path. Simply put, a no name carbon fork's risk isn't worth the reward.

mtbr member
    The P2 is solid, but a bit harsh on the ride. I'm pretty sure in that price range you can get a Salsa Cromoto which is also 100mm suspension corrected and has a smoother ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Interesting, none of those forks have much offset for a 29er. I think your bike had 51mm. And trek tends to run fairly long trail, usually >80mm. Which is better than it sounds, that trek formula of 69*/51mm kinda works, I like it.* But the offset is an important part of that formula, and if you depart from that by going with a shorter offset, I doubt you will like it much.

There could be an argument for going with a shorter fork with a tad less offset. If you could get your head angle up to 70*, with a 45mm offset your trail should be in the mid-80's, right where it's supposed to be.

I mean, it's not like you're hanging way out over the edge, there are 29ers out there with a 71 degree hta. And I would go out and buy one before I rode a bike with 69 degrees and 94mm of trail. Ew.

Just got a soma fork for my daughter's bike, very pretty. Soma or the Salsa in 80mm/29er size, that's what I would do.

----------

*Walt, the custom fork guy, says a trail in the 60's is optimal, but I gotta wonder if maybe something in the 80's is better for 29ers. Maybe you should call him, he'll make you a custom fork for about $300, and it's not out of the question you might find that to be the best value, if handling is really your top priority.
    Last edited by TampaDave; 05-10-2015 at 06:34 AM.