Retro Grouch

Is a rigid fork harder on a headset?

I'm trying to choose a new headset for my 650b SASS. I'm wondering if I need a heavy duty headset to hold up to the beating of a rigid fork. I've put a $70 dollar limit (no King or CC 110) on the headset. I know a Cane Creek S-3 has the most bang for the buck, but would it hold up? And if no, what should I buy?
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    harder, yes
    too hard for an S-3 or most any decent quality headset, no

mtbr member
    I bought the FSA pig DH headset 4 years ago and it it's still smooth as can be .

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    +1 for S3

running it on all my bikes with rigid forks, works great.

I had the same SASS you have until I sold it a month ago, had a S3 on it, ran fine.
    no chain no gain.

mtbr member
    Just ordered a FSA Pig. Figure if its good enough for BMX it's good enough for rigid mountain. Ignore 10speed's post. he rides paved trails exclusively.
    Oh, and gets passed by 7 year olds.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I run the Pig on a rigid and it's a great headset for the money. Cheap, well built, and strong.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jonzinmj
    Ignore 10speed's post. he rides paved trails exclusively.
    Oh, and gets passed by 7 year olds.
    hahaha, well matt, I will admit I do not own a brooks saddle or a surly commuter, so it is fair to note I am not on your level. However, readers might find it curious that I was riding 29ers, single speeds, and fixed (all rigid) mountain bikes well before you ever left shifters or suspension. not to mention when i found you, your had never ridden a mountain bike!

but all this aside, S3 is great for the $$ and I've only heard good things about FSA. Personally I have only tried the PIG and PIG DH, both seemed bomb-proof, but consequently a little over built and heavy. Something to think about.

I can't imagine going wrong with either choice. Both are great and fit into your budget.
    no chain no gain.

Monkey Junkie
    Aug 2009
    I have constant issues with the stock headset on my flight. I had an FSA Pig (unsealed) on an old 26" rigid Jump bike and it was always smooth as can be, never had any play or creaking. I'll probably pick one up for my new rig.

Retro Grouch
    Well, I actually bought one of each;

Advertised Weight// Actual Weight
    Cane Creek S-3 110gm/ 112gm
    FSA Pig 180gm/ 209gm!!
    FSA Pig Pro 176gm/ 191gm
    Crank Bros Cobalt C 65gm/ 83gm

The stock headset is a VP Aheadset, which I figure weighs about the same as a CC STS; so about 140gm. After looking at these choices I'm liking the FSA Pig Pro. The Pig is just crazy heavy and the Cobalt C is crazy light. I have an S-3 and S-2 on two different bikes and I have no complaints, but I really put the SASS through a workout. The Pig is all steel with ball bearings; big 1/4" ball bearing on the bottom. The Pig Pro has cartridge bearings (larger bearings on the bottom), with a steel cup on the bottom and an aluminium cup on top. In my mind a good compromise. Oh, and don't worry I already have plans for the other headsets. Thanks

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The Pig also uses an aluminum upper cup...hard to compare by just weight alone on these headsets. I for one am not impressed with the FSA cartridge bearings. 2 cents.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebo
    The Pig also uses an aluminum upper cup...hard to compare by just weight alone on these headsets. I for one am not impressed with the FSA cartridge bearings. 2 cents.
    Interesting...although most of the product descriptions for the FSA Pig say the top cup is 6061/T6, the one I have has a top cup made of chromed steel; must be why the weight was so far off..

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had the stock VP on my SISS until the frame was warrantied. No problems other than cleaning the gunk out every so often. When I got the new SASS warranty frame, I had a King installed at the shop. It loosened and loosened and creaked and loosened, etc.

I then got an S3 and put it in myself with a threaded rod and some plumbing fittings. No problems again. Same frame, same rigid fork - no problems.

+1 for the S3.
    GP

Retro Grouch
    Well, I changed my mind at the last minute and installed the Crank Bros; I figure if it fails it has a good 5 year warranty. I was surprised on how easy the old cups came out and the new cups went in (I also have a threaded rod with some spacers). Maybe it has to do with the chrome plating, but the old cups popped out with one whack on the removal tool (caught the top cup in mid-air). The only blood that was spilled was a blister on my palm when I pinched it seating the crown race. Anyway, if anyone wants an all chromed steel PIG give me a PM; $10 plus shipping..

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GP-TJ
    I had the stock VP on my SISS until the frame was warrantied. No problems other than cleaning the gunk out every so often. When I got the new SASS warranty frame, I had a King installed at the shop. It loosened and loosened and creaked and loosened, etc.

I then got an S3 and put it in myself with a threaded rod and some plumbing fittings. No problems again. Same frame, same rigid fork - no problems.

+1 for the S3.
    GP
    WOW couldn't agree more!

Chris Kings have given me nothing but grief.
    Cane Creek invented threadless headsets. I choose to go with the original.
    no chain no gain.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel
    WOW couldn't agree more!

Chris Kings have given me nothing but grief.
    Well, I've not had a problem with King NoThread headsets, but I agree Can Creek got it right the first time. BTW, Crank Bros also agrees.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is a rigid fork harder on a headset?-crank.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Only use "Rigid Approved" headsets. This is sometimes labeled on the box but you usually have to contact the manufacturer to find out if it is approved. All headsets used to be RA back when there were no suspension forks. Once suspension was invented, the headset manufacturers started making the headsets lighter weight but they were no longer appropriate strength for rigid applications. However, RA is soon to be replaced with the new "GT" standard which is better for rigid riders who weigh over 300 lbs. I'm sure there will soon be a review on http://twentynineinches.com/

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleve Lansteamer
    Only use "Rigid Approved" headsets. This is sometimes labeled on the box but you usually have to contact the manufacturer to find out if it is approved. All headsets used to be RA back when there were no suspension forks. Once suspension was invented, the headset manufacturers started making the headsets lighter weight but they were no longer appropriate strength for rigid applications. However, RA is soon to be replaced with the new "GT" standard which is better for rigid riders who weigh over 300 lbs. I'm sure there will soon be a review on http://twentynineinches.com/
    Oh, what to say? What to say? But I can see you have embraced the HUA standard..
    Last edited by aka brad; 11-17-2009 at 07:18 PM.

mtbr member
    I personally love the feel of my crank brothers HS. but the finish is sh1t, i have had it for less than 4 months and i already have a nice layer of rust all the way around. I just ordered a Chris King, which i should have done in the first place and sent the crank brothers back.
    Req. Disclaimer: I sell Giant, Trek, and Electra bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantGorgon
    The no-brainer store called, they want their question back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speedbiopacefreewheel

Dia Compe invented the threadless headset.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Slurry
    Dia Compe invented the threadless headset.
    Cane Creek is Dia Comp. In 1996 Dia Compe decided they needed an American name for their new higher end components. Dia Compe's US Headquarters is at 355 Cane Creek Rd, NC; hence the name. Cane Creek always talks about Aheadset and Dia Comp like they're a different company; they're not.

one chain loop
    just curious, why no love for ck?
    everything sucks but my vacuum cleaner.

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by fishcreek
    just curious, why no love for ck?
    I like Chris King, I have three bikes with them, 2 NoThread, 1 threaded and they work great; they are certainly over engineered and have been known to outlive several frames. However, the King NoThread Headset does have a flaw, which Peter Verdone (pvd) talks about on his <a href="http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=The_BEST_Headset"> pvdwiki </a> site. Cane Creek has a patent on the split compression ring (the ring that centers and holds the bearing cap or top race in place). King stayed with their first and original design that centers the bearing cap with an o-ring. The o-ring really doesn't hold the bearing cap solidly to the streerer and is the first thing to go on a King. The other problem, also related to the bearing cap/steerer connection is the King does not like anything out of spec and even recommends you face your stem and non-King spacers to stop creaking. So, there are those that swear by Chris King and wouldn't be caught dead with any other Headset on their frame (it's also cool that they are still made in the USA), but there are other headsets out there and while not made any better, have a different design and may hold up or work better, under different circumstances.
    Last edited by aka brad; 11-19-2009 at 09:58 AM.

- factotum -
    If the Crank Brothers headset fails, try Woodman. Or even better some German thing. I've been usnig an Acros AH-06 for 6 years now (rigid forks only) including messenger riding and offroad training. Now flaws yet. Maybe the big balls series is something for you .

Retro Grouch
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh Bear
    If the Crank Brothers headset fails, try Woodman. Or even better some German thing. I've been usnig an Acros AH-06 for 6 years now (rigid forks only) including messenger riding and offroad training. Now flaws yet. Maybe the big balls series is something for you .
    Hmmm, I don't know anything about the Acros, but I did some google searches and they look very nice. Apparent near King and quality but using the Cane Creek patent (the AH in the part number stand for Aheadset). It looks very similar to a King (check out <a href="http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/workshop/31196-chris-king-headset-vs-acros.html"> this </a> post). They can also be found highly discounted (unlike the Kings), found these for $72 at the <a href="http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=188_267_699&zenid= 651ee8bff615bb1578f4834868"> Milwaukee Bicycle Co </a>. It's definitely worth a try.

Members who have read this thread: 0