Rigid fork + carbon riser bar- Mtbr.com
    Sofa King We Todd Did

Rigid fork + carbon riser bar

...Bad idea or a good idea? I understand that issues and concerns surrounding carbon handlebars, what with the overtightening and the breakage, etc. But I've read just as many people saying that they've had no problems with the lot. In any case, I was trying to lighten up my ride and came across a $30 carbon riser bar (Weyless brand), and wondered if it's a bad idea to match a rigid fork to a carbon bar. Two issues, I guess - the acceptable quality of this Weyless-branded carbon bar and this idea of putting said bar on a rig with no suspension whatsoever.

What's the beef, sir, what's the beef?

34N 118W

no snappage

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    ...Bad idea or a good idea?
    I'm running the Easton Carbon 28" DH bars with the occasional rigid fork. I went with the DH bar specifically for more beef-ness and peace of mind.

That said, I can't help but wonder whats happening to the bars when I futz with my light mount, bell, brake levers, etc. Any little rotation and I'm sure I'm scoring the bar and setting myself up for catastrophe.

but what the hell! There's riding to be done!

Not sure I'd run carbon bars again given the options.

HW

Whatever! Just crash it!
    Just switched to carbon riser bars (Easton MonkeyLite) and one thing I noticed was they were a lot more harsh than what I was running before (Easton alloy riser bars (I forgot which alloy)). It is noticable to the point where next payday I'm going for some titanium bars to get a little more comfort.

HOpe dat hepps.

Peter
    If a man talks dirty to a woman, it's sexual harassment. If a woman talks dirty to a man, it's $3.95 per minute.

Bike Wrench Blog ** Unfortunate Series of Events

President, CEO of Earth

Carbon Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    I'm running the Easton Carbon 28" DH bars with the occasional rigid fork. I went with the DH bar specifically for more beef-ness and peace of mind.

That said, I can't help but wonder whats happening to the bars when I futz with my light mount, bell, brake levers, etc. Any little rotation and I'm sure I'm scoring the bar and setting myself up for catastrophe.

but what the hell! There's riding to be done!

Not sure I'd run carbon bars again given the options.

HW
    I was looking at some carbon bars at work the other day (Profile and MAXX - probably made in the same factory as Weyless) and both had considerable scratching from installing and removing barke levers and shifters. However, if you looked closely, you could tell that the scratching was in the clear coat of resin on top of the carbon fibres, not through the fibres or resin holding them together.

Now, I'm all for being cautious when it comes to carbon bars, but I wouldn't have hesitated to use these bars myself. There is probably no need to worry about your bars if the scratches are not too deep.

Keep in mind that I am not an expert and if you are at all unsure about the strength of your bar, then replace them immmediately!!!

zeebot
    I run the same downhill bar mentioned by our friend, Hollywood, on a rigid fork and I have some very nice scours(through the resin for sure) on the right side that've been tagging along with me for about 9 months now. I also move the brake levers quite often since I have them on pretty loose to avoid ruining them when hitting "things" which seems to happen quite often with the 28" bars on NE single track. The dh bar seems to be rather stout. It's also not thirty dollars like the Weyless.

Wandering not Lost
    there is only OnE bar......Bow down to the H-Bar...come join the increasing legions of converts....as we move to promote the greatness that is the H-Bar...(dramatic music playing in background)

snap.....

wow these bars cast quite the spell.....Jeff worked some serious mojo into these multi-faceted beauties....

worth the price

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

ti would even better

I don't know if it would lead to breakage of a carbon bar (heard sketchy stories about Weyless) but a ti bar would be even better. Both ti and carbon damp the high frequency buzz, but unlike carbon, ti also flexes enough to absorb larger bumps. Ti is the best material for a handlebar mated to a rigid fork.

mtbr member
    I'm running a 26" Monkey light 1" riser on my rigid 1x1 and I'm happy. It takes the vibration off my hands. That said I'm ordering an H-Bar from Jeff Jones. I just rode with Nat and his new H-bars and he's very happy with them. I think they are the best SS option for hand postion and comfort...
    Happy trails, Jefe'
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery

AussieLostInNyc

I have noticed a small difference

I posted and got a some god feedback;
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=41930
    I took Walt's advice.

In the end I bought the nashbar and it was $30 odd with the current discount code.
    It is 25" wide 1.5"rise and has the same sweep as their alloy model.
    The bar and the oury grips do me fine on my rigid KM.
    www.nycmtb.com
    .....spreading the love

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Thanks for all the advice, fellas. Alternatives like the Jones H-bar or a titanium handlebar are out of the question right now - they're a bit cost-prohibitive for me. Going to see if wifey'll score me one of these carbon bars for the holidays. Cheers.

formerly Giantxc

Weyless

Quote Originally Posted by bulC
    (heard sketchy stories about Weyless)
    Normally, I'm a brand snob and would agree, but I've been running a Weyless carbon flat bar for almost 2 years now with no problem. During that time, they've been through two 100 mile races, a few regular races and more rock gardens than I can count. Now if I was jumping cliffs I wouldn't buy them, and I use them on my gearie with a squishy fork, but for XC with a squishy I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

That said, I think Ti is the ideal material for a handlebar and really wish Titec would bring back the Hellion, since I don't feel like donating a kidney for a Moots. On that note, it also makes a for a great rigid fork!

Recovering Weight Weenie
    Also running th Easton DH's as I have for a year now.
    Rigid, suspension, it does it all.
    Lights, levers, it's all good.
    i tried switching back to alu for a few weeks. NO THANKS.
    Felt like....ouch!
    W/ the squishy fork, it felt like I lost an inch of travel.
    I don't even think it's possible (for me) to ride rigid w/out the assistance of carbon bars.
    don't forget, my body mass is WAY harder on bike parts than most.
    The Easton's rawk.