rigid fork?- Mtbr.com

Thread: rigid fork?

black tooth grin

rigid fork?

so i've been checking out the pics and noticed alot of the bikes seem to run a ridgid fork is there a advantage to this..or just preference?

Also i have a geared bike w/ a broken derailer and i'm stuck in ss mode and I have to agree with alot of the thoughts here that theirs just something about it. (which is what led me to check this forum out)
    i stand and mash..my wife is the spinner

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Big difference is weight and simplicity. My $53 Surly 1X1 cro mo fork is more than 2.5lbs lighter than the $400 suspension fork it replaces. Nothing to break or re-build. Lets the rider become one with every root, rock, bump on the trail.

mtbr member
    Less bouncy bounce more Go

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi
    Big difference is weight and simplicity. My $53 Surly 1X1 cro mo fork is more than 2.5lbs lighter than the $400 suspension fork it replaces. Nothing to break or re-build. Lets the rider become one with every root, rock, bump on the trail.
    thank you nostradamus...could not have been send better...!!! went from a the full squish (6") back to the childhood beater...you do not realize how much you have to become the bike as the simplification of the bike increases...arms and legs become kinethetic shocks as opposed to front and rear shocks...

full rigid is to mountain biking as soaring is to modern flight...yes i just that...!!!
    Bikes + Wedding = Less Bikes

Ovaries on the Outside
    I like rigid because I don't like the bounce in climbing with suspension. There are days when I wish I had it though.

mtbr member
    I saved 5 lbs from my shock to a rigid fork.

It climbs like a beast.

No maintenance

When I point it some place, I know where it is actually going.

mtbr member
    It just requires a different riding technique.

You've already got 10" suspension in your legs and arms, why would you need more?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    I like rigid because you can really feel more power transfer to your bike during the flats and climbs. It takes time to get used to it. My first ride with a rigid was a nightmarish experience in some points. But now, it just feels awesome and a great upgrade.

mtbr member
    For the majority of our trails, the speeds are low enough (very tight, twisty with lots of roots and rocks and quick elevation changes) that a rigid lets me dance with my bike more. It challenges me while not losing much ground on the suspension guys.

That and it completes the whole back to riding basics thing with single speed.

Cheaper, lighter, and no maintenance is also a nice benefit.
    Just get out and ride!

black tooth grin
    I always thought the rigid fork was a geo thing but since everything points to the "simpler side" of mtb it makes....sense?

with that bein said i am assuming no one is doing any jumps?
    and why not suspension w/ lockout or are you guys maintaining the weight advantage?

you guys/gals are a differnt breed thats for sure reading the rest of the forum you would think you guys are from a differnt planet ie. no $4k bikes, no fs, no gears heck even no front suspension...You guys rule.
    i stand and mash..my wife is the spinner

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf125
    I always thought the rigid fork was a geo thing but since everything points to the "simpler side" of mtb it makes....sense?

and why not suspension w/ lockout or are you guys maintaining the weight advantage?

you guys/gals are a differnt breed thats for sure reading the rest of the forum you would think you guys are from a differnt planet ie. no $4k bikes, no fs, no gears heck even no front suspension...You guys rule.
    I love the guys who can make do with low $ or spare parted bikes. I don't have any spare parts. I don't enjoy scouring Ebay and Craigs list for used or discount parts. So, I bought new and had a bike built. I failed the $$, but I am going SS and Rigid.

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf125
    We only take 'em off sweet jumps

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JK8byQsugFw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JK8byQsugFw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ss= 800 lb. gorilla
    Jan 2009
    the rigid is the way to go, with the ss. keeps bike light, no noise with no gears, and plain fun 2 ride!! who needs squishy?? thats y god made elbows and knees, bro!! anyway, if one wants to, u can always upgrade 2 a better rigid fork (or "fawk" as we say it here in ny)

mtbr member
    I don't have time to scoure the internet for deals. But I don't have a bank roll to pick up the hottest bike. With a full time job and 2 small kids, I have less time than I have money.

Monocog Flight 29, Baby! What a great package. Yeah, it's not the lightest nor the best parts. But it's got a good enough level to get me out there with no worries.

The rest is ME.

I think that's the appeal of the rigid/ss bikes. No suspension to cover your mistakes. No gears to bail out on a climb.
    Just get out and ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traffic002
    I don't have time to scoure the internet for deals. But I don't have a bank roll to pick up the hottest bike. With a full time job and 2 small kids, I have less time than I have money.

Monocog Flight 29, Baby! What a great package. Yeah, it's not the lightest nor the best parts. But it's got a good enough level to get me out there with no worries.

The rest is ME.

I think that's the appeal of the rigid/ss bikes. No suspension to cover your mistakes. No gears to bail out on a climb.
    When I rode with SS'ers, even though I was grabbing lower gears, I was staying up with them on the climbs ... for the most part. Spin to win! I am getting the SS specifically to work on leg strength, and we shall see how the next 6 months go, because I plan on riding SS a vast amjority of the time. Next summer, there will be some Epic ride trips, and there is no way I would do them on a SS, as there are hours of low gear spin climbs.

My spoon is too big!
    The only time I have trouble with a rigid fork is fire road descents. The gravel, rain ruts, and hoof marks just beat me to pieces. Anything else, and I'm only slightly slower than on my FS. Most climbs are significantly faster. No pedal bob, and no platform/lockout levers to mess with. Once you learn the riding techniques required, rigid bikes are a lot of fun.
    "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

mtbr member
    I suggest running a fat tire infront for a basic suspension.

Members who have read this thread: 0