rigid fork = tendonitis?- Mtbr.com
    34N 118W

rigid fork = tendonitis?

coincidentally I have some sharp pain on the bone of my left elbow, just weeks after running a rigid fork for the first time.

I'm now realizing that it's not going away - and not from a wreck or bruise. But it hurts like hell and wakes me up at night if I roll over on it. Can't rest it on desk or table either. Time to get it looked at I guess.

I hope its not the fork, just as I'm learning to dig rigid. May have to swap out for that Marz Marathon sitting in the box here.

lift weights? Ice it? Tuff it out? Any similar stories out there?

you can have my rigid fork when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. Or when I get tendonitis.
    HW

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

you are getting old...

that is all.

mtbr member

Is it pink?

The fork that is. Cuz if it is, then you're not as unique or bad ass as pink bike riders used to be.

In regards to the wrist... get it checked out. No sense in tuffing it out if it'll mean lass time riding. And if it is due to your rigid fork, go with the boinger... no harm in that. We won't think you're less cool because of it!

I love your Curtlo BTW.

progre-ss
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

34N 118W

thanks for sugarcoating it

Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    that is all.
    yeah no sh*t. I turn 4-0 in June. WTF? I'm falling apart.

cup half full: I'll be the 40 yr. old who passes some gearie on a pink SS

mtbr member

testicularitis?

maybe you have a case of testiculiratis? Otherwise known as "old balls"
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 03-12-2004 at 03:51 PM. Reason: .

JAK
    mtbr member

lift weights and massage...

And the OldNess factor is knocking on yer door!

I used to X-train my elbows by doing reverse curls in my climbing days, and it worked wonders...I also did some basic supplementation with vitamins...antioxydants ie. A,E,C & selenium...

good luck!

Could it be from tying that knit tie you might wear?
    Night has fallen.
    And there's nothin' we can do about it.

mtbr member
    Not specifically, because I don't run rigid, but I did recently noticed that I raised my seat about 1mm, I started getting blisters on the bottom of my left foot. I'm almost positive there is a corralation. Ironically though, my friggin knees feel great :-)

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

seriously,

try changing hands when you're surfing www.drunkcyclist.com. your left arm is probably sore from overuse.

Candlestick Maker

Elbow tendonitis

I've had elbow tendonitis for ~7 years. Originally caused by climbing ~ 20 hours
    a week, doing one arm pullups, 225 pull-ups a day and other stupidity. I exacerbated
    the problem by masking the pain with ibuprofen and continuing the antics. I'd
    recommend keeping on top of things and not doing what I did.

Take anti-inflammatories, ice the area, stretch before exercising, and stop or limit
    whatever is causing the pain. The rigid fork is a really good candidate for the cause
    of pain.

I've started riding rigid again, but that is after months of PT and basically 2 years of
    little to no climbing...

baker

Cracker-magnon
    Well if you wouldn't ride with your elbows locked out.....I would have it checked out. If it is tendonitis then ice and an anti-inflamitory type pain killer might work. That is all the docs have had me use for the flair-ups in my shoulder and foot, and maybe a snug wrap when it is not iced. It would be a shame to have to cop out to that nice lookin marz sitting in the box.
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

Recovering Weight Weenie

It's not just you...

Hey H...
    Lose the rigid, dewd.
    It does the same to me.
    The human body has limits.
    Just like the Cal-trans workers who line up for workers comp after operating a jack-hammer for a few months...you've been doing the same thing to your body..
    albeit a purty pink jack-hammer....
    Get really crazy and have the lowers of your Marz p-coated pink to match.... who's got the balls to do that?
    Rigid = pain & suffering (the "precise" steering it's worshippers praise also delivers precise pain to all the joints of your body!)

34N 118W

could be

I hope to be that old dude out on the trails in cutoffs, with my nads hanging out of one leg, skin tanned to leather-like texture and spanking 20-somethings off MY singletrack. The scary one, the legend....."did you really see him? The old guy with one gear and his balls hanging out?".

Ahh, to dream. Don't you have some gnomes to fricasee or something? Where's the bambino dammit?

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    maybe you have a case of testiculiratis? Otherwise known as "old balls"

mtbr member

Snrf

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    I hope to be that old dude out on the trails in cutoffs, with my nads hanging out of one leg, skin tanned to leather-like texture and spanking 20-somethings off MY singletrack. The scary one, the legend....."did you really see him? The old guy with one gear and his balls hanging out?".

Ahh, to dream.

Coke out my nose! Thanks for the visual, Hollywood! Reminds me of Dana Carvey's grumpy old man routine... "When I was a kid, we RESPECTED our elders! And didn't laugh at their balls!"
    -Porkchop

mtbr member

you asked...

Ahh, to dream. Don't you have some gnomes to fricasee or something? Where's the bambino dammit?
    Perhaps if you smear, with a well rounded butter knife, a generous amount of gnome mermelade. Either on the sack, or on the elbows.

The bambino is still in Sarah. It's floatng in the amniotic sac. The mammal yolk.

I'm 30, and I have noticed some white pubes. And to boot, my Manitou Black (the one on this bike) will be replaced by a rigid Tange fork. $150 for the fork if anyone wants it. A doctor that specializes in cows told me that a good suspension fork cures scurvy and some other STDs.
    Last edited by ernesto_from_Wisconsin; 03-12-2004 at 05:39 PM. Reason: .

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    coincidentally I have some sharp pain on the bone of my left elbow, just weeks after running a rigid fork for the first time.

I'm now realizing that it's not going away - and not from a wreck or bruise. But it hurts like hell and wakes me up at night if I roll over on it. Can't rest it on desk or table either. Time to get it looked at I guess.

I hope its not the fork, just as I'm learning to dig rigid. May have to swap out for that Marz Marathon sitting in the box here.

you can have my rigid fork when you pry it from my cold dead fingers. Or when I get tendonitis.
    HW
    DROPBARS! Really. They put your upper body in a better position to absorb shock.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

jrm
    mtbr member

Nope just soreness

HW
    Lift weights but not to bulk.

Out spokin'
    HW,

I used to get tendonitis every winter from riding mountain bikes. (Golf used to make it flair up, too -- but that was in the summer. Anyway...) Always the left elbow. Finally after about the 5th year of enduring it -- and this time it was worse than ever, lasting from November into March with no end in sight -- I got a cortisone injection in my elbow. The agony was GONE in two hours. Maybe the tendonitis was not completely gone that quick, but the pain was. And it never came back. NEVER -- and that was about 12 years ago.

Chronic use of cortisone is not good for a body, but it doesn't hurt once in a while. If your elbow is like mine, the fix is well worth it. Best of all, the injection didn't even hurt (hey, you know I'm a pansy).

I'd tried all the rest -- icing, weight lifting (made things worse), arm bands that squeezed the muscle, etc. Nothing worked. Nothing but the c'sone.

Good luck.

--Sparty

HW
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Could be just your position on the bars.. I get problem where my elbows turn to mush on the road bike if I ride a long time in the drops on a narrow bar.. With a Wider bar no problems..

Medium?

newfoxnotmountitis?

It's a mental condition caused by buying an expensive fork, then not really wanting to use it. Your brain causes a pain that makes you think you need suspension.

I don't suspect you use a mouse with your left hand, eh? My guess is it's from typing too much with the keyboard up too high. Try lowering your chair so your thighs are parallel to the floor, and put the keyboard on your knees. An ergo (split) keyboard could help too. I know where I can get them for $6.

ballbuster

maybe you should stick to paved bike paths

just kidding,

I dunno what to tell you, other than a steady diet of Advil, which should reduce the inflamation. I'm not a doctor, and don't even play one on TeeVee.

I hear cycling ice and heat helps with inflamation as well.

mtbr member
    i went on a 4hr (SS) trials ride the other day (well, 1hr then an hr break, then 3hrs). it was my first long ride on the trials bike. the next couple days i could feel the tendonitis dwelling in my elbow. remember how bad it hurt during golf season, i laid off the bike for a couple days, then went on an XC ride (again, rigid and single). felt fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Idea! What you possibly could try

HW
    Maybe you need some suspension:
    - Softride suspension stem
    - Pantour suspension front hub
    - Nokian Gazzaloddi front tire
    - thick and comfy grips (ODI Rogue or something)

Sorry, I don't have more ideas.

Nikolas

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    the ONLY thing that seem to help my tendonitis was acupuncture.

it's great, as long as you don't mind being stuck with tiny needles.

gentle like

tendonitis sucks

i have gotten sporadic bouts of "nasty t" ever since my shoulder surgeries. i would recommend:

ibuprofen (or similar anti-inflammatory) is good. ice is also good - but do it proper to get best results. 15 min on, then no ice for at least 45. and since it's already flared up, no weights until it goes down. as someone said, weights to not bulk will help, but if you've already got tendonitis. that'll just make it worse.

rigid forks just kill me; and i even have troubles with 80mm forks on rough trails - at the ripe old age of 26. of course, i had my surgeries at a tender 20. it's gonna be an uphill battle to get into my 40's and beyond in good shape ...

best of luck. and really, the marathon is about as nice a 'plan b' as you can get.

34N 118W

thanks all

accupuncture's cool - had it before for allergies. Don't mind needles.

I thought the carbon bar and Oury's would help lessen the jolts, which they do, but maybe not enough.

Crap, maybe it is my keyboard/position/ergonomics?

'Zoke Marathon going on this weekend.

and I'll try the ice routine & ibuprofen.

cheers,
    the not-so-badass-afterall guy on a pink bike

Quote Originally Posted by kept man
    i have gotten sporadic bouts of "nasty t" ever since my shoulder surgeries. i would recommend:

ibuprofen (or similar anti-inflammatory) is good. ice is also good - but do it proper to get best results. 15 min on, then no ice for at least 45. and since it's already flared up, no weights until it goes down. as someone said, weights to not bulk will help, but if you've already got tendonitis. that'll just make it worse.

rigid forks just kill me; and i even have troubles with 80mm forks on rough trails - at the ripe old age of 26. of course, i had my surgeries at a tender 20. it's gonna be an uphill battle to get into my 40's and beyond in good shape ...

best of luck. and really, the marathon is about as nice a 'plan b' as you can get.

34N 118W
    thanks Davey! (nm)

Medium?

If you're going to try ice

Try this instead: use two sides of the kitchen sink, or two tubs. Fill one with ice water, and one with water as hot as you can stand. Dip your elbow, or even both arms in alternating tubs for 45 seconds. Repeat four or five times. It's called contrast baths, and it worked very well for my forearm tendonitis.

mtbr member

Which bike causes it?

Aren't you riding a fixie down to the station every work day? You've got to factor in the stress of riding that too.

In my case elbow pain was from riding on the road with a too long wheel base. Trading in for a shorter wheel base cured the pain. Basically take the weight off your hands and bend the elbows.

Faster Than Your TV!

Wow, yer right on my...

yeah no sh*t. I turn 4-0 in June. WTF? I'm falling apart.

cup half full: I'll be the 40 yr. old who passes some gearie on a pink SS
    azz, age-wise, ya poor SOB!

I've been running rigid for about 2 years and haven't gone back to a sproinger since (can't stand the bobbing climbs and don't want to fool with a lockout)...not a single ache here, but most of my riding is more rooty than rocky, though I do ride the rocky when I can get to it on weekends.

I do lift weights and have been doing so for years...way longer than I've been riding, so maybe that makes a difference. Then again, riderx has never seen the inside of a gym and has been riding rigid with no problems for longer than I've even been thinking about riding.

Maybe concentrating on relaxing your shoulders and arms and just gripping with your hands like a madman. Make sure you're not locking out your elbows. Does your injury seem like tendinitis?
    "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!'' -- Henri Desgrange, from an article in L'Equipe

Wrench In the Gears

Needed Less ~ Did More

That would be my reccomendation too...

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    DROPBARS! Really. They put your upper body in a better position to absorb shock.
    My wrists ans elbows used to give me loads of pain (with and with out suspension!) until I went to drop bars / Jones H-bars. I even used to get pain riding my Maverick ML-7 with Pace 100mm forks on it!

The drop section puts your arms in a more natural position, bars like WTB, Salsa Bell Laps and Jones bars have different ammounts of flare, so try a few and see if one of them helps more than the others.

Might be worth a try?

Alex
    "Put any one on one of these singlespeed bikes and they could not help but have fun"
    -
    Otis Guy talking about klunkers c1976

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004

Tennis Elbow

Sounds like Tennis Elbow (tendonitis). I've been batteling it for the last 2 years. I highly reccomend a cortizone shot. There's a good possibility that it was brought on by switching to the rigid fork. IMHO when riding with a rigid fork you need to adjust your riding style. Keep your weight off the front end. I would also guess that you're applying a death grip to the handlebars. This will contribute to tennis elbow.

If you have tennis elbow then lifting weights will make things worse. The only things that I'm aware of that will help are rest, cortizone, therapy, or surgery. Good luck with what ales!

Peace, Love, and Ride
    bus driver wanna be

34N 118W

golfers elbow?

from what I've read and heard, it's more like Golfer's elbow; pain is on the inside, where as Tennis gets ya on the outside/forearm side.

Quick solutions so far have been to put on my Marzocchi Marathon, move & stretch more during the days I'm at the desk and to see a chiropractor (my shoulder muscles are a mess too).

thanks,
    HW

PS - no death grip on the rigid. Did the opposite and "floated"

Quote Originally Posted by gofast
    Sounds like Tennis Elbow (tendonitis). I've been batteling it for the last 2 years. I highly reccomend a cortizone shot. There's a good possibility that it was brought on by switching to the rigid fork. IMHO when riding with a rigid fork you need to adjust your riding style. Keep your weight off the front end. I would also guess that you're applying a death grip to the handlebars. This will contribute to tennis elbow.

If you have tennis elbow then lifting weights will make things worse. The only things that I'm aware of that will help are rest, cortizone, therapy, or surgery. Good luck with what ales!

Peace, Love, and Ride

Expert Pushing SSer

You guys are killing me...

Quote Originally Posted by ernesto_from_Wisconsin
    Perhaps if you smear, with a well rounded butter knife, a generous amount of gnome mermelade. Either on the sack, or on the elbows.

The bambino is still in Sarah. It's floatng in the amniotic sac. The mammal yolk.

I'm 30, and I have noticed some white pubes. And to boot, my Manitou Black (the one on this bike) will be replaced by a rigid Tange fork. $150 for the fork if anyone wants it. A doctor that specializes in cows told me that a good suspension fork cures scurvy and some other STDs.
    I have not laughed this hard at a thread in a long while. I need to pick up some gnome marmelade for my toast in the morning. I was thinking I might learn something new about elbows and rigid forks. Instead, I walk away with images of gnome marmelade.

I think I broke a rib laughing.

Thanks!!!

Mike
    Tuff Schist

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    I have not laughed this hard at a thread in a long while. I need to pick up some gnome marmelade for my toast in the morning. I was thinking I might learn something new about elbows and rigid forks. Instead, I walk away with images of gnome marmelade.

I think I broke a rib laughing.

Thanks!!!

Mike

mmmm. gnome marmelade.

anything in the arena of gnome marmite? gnome vegimite? oh wait- those are both veggie spreads.

Bikes not Bombs.....

Dances with wolves.....

The scary one, the legend....."did you really see him? The old guy with one gear and his balls hanging out?".

HW....
    Like the movie title dances with wolves only in your case.... rides with balls hangin......

Or you give new meaning to LowBalling someone......

You could adopt the new nick name of One Hung Low.....

Are you one of those LA "Lowriders"

If it tendoinitis, I have it in a couple of places, doctors will give ya lots of "Ty"lanol and oh yeah... you'll love this one... stay off the bike till it gets better.....rocket scientists they are ...... dem doctors.....
    Thanks to all of you for your friendships on this board..... -

mtbr member
    May 2004

My apologies for resurrecting an old thread

I did a search and this is directly relevant to my situation, so why start a new one.

After riding SS for 2 years, the seals on the fork started to leak. I figure the bike gods must telling me it's a good time to buy a rigid fork! After some research I figured out that the Salsa CroMoto 26" fork and a 29" wheel give me nearly the same standover height and headtube angle... a near perfect 96r setup 7 days and 4 rides into the new setup and the inside of my elbows are sore, similar to what HW described.

After riding SS exclusively I'm now alternating between the geared f/s bike and the rigid. I can't do 3 rides a week rigid and I'm a bit sadden by that fact. After a two weeks my pain has subsided a bit, but the soreness is still there and is very evident after a rigid ride. I'm hoping time/a more relaxed riding style/massage therapy will completely eliminate the pain.

Hollywood - did you go back to the rigid fork? How are the elbows now after 2 years? Painfree I'm hoping?

'Zoke Marathon going on this weekend.

ali'i hua
    HW- what grips you running? i switched to something more ergonomical (gee- what brand would that be?) and all issues with wrist pain went away.

by the way- was that really eSSq who posted? yikes- i thought it felt a touch cooler at my feet Chris: t'was cool cruising with ya a few weekends ago!

Exclusively Single
    I have tendonitis from my wrists up to my shoulders, mostly from 20 years of drumming and many years of using bad technique. I've been focusing the last few years on correcting my technique and keeping my fingers, hands, wrists, arms, etc relaxed and letting the natrural rebound and vibrations flow rather than staying tense and stopping tem by straining against them. I ride a rigid fork and it doesn't bother me at all as far as that goes. The key is to stay relaxed. It's not so much the constant jarring that will give you problems as a constant and unnatural strain. I noticed going rigid after riding sus forks that I was white knuckling the grips and my arms were always rigid..a bad habit often bread by use of suspension that absorbs all the shock for you. When you ride a rigid fork, focus on keeping your whole body (especially upper body) relaxed, more like a sponge or elastomer than a rock. Your body is now your suspension, let it respond naturally. By keeping your body rigid it is straining against the forces that it is trying to absorb.