Rigid carbon forks- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Rigid carbon forks

I really liked my used Pace XC 29 carbon fork (Pace RC29 29er Forks Reviews) before I wrecked and twisted off the end caps. I think I was pushing it by running 10-15 lbs. over the reccomended rider weight.

I liked the way it looked, and where I ride and my ability, the flex was fine.

There are plenty of forks that look just like it, but not very many that give rider weight specs on their pages. When I googled "no rider weight restriction" the Syncros FL comes up.

Syncros FL Carbon 29er Mountain Bike Fork Review | Singletracks Mountain Bike Blog

It looks awesome and I think this is what I'll get to replace the junk Suntour susp. fork that I had to put back on to keep riding. Just thought I'd ask if anyone has rode this fork or another like it with no weight restrictions and of course, your opinions.

I was down to 205# at one point , but SS has packed on leg and ab muscle and I'm probably not getting down below 215 again.

mtbr member
    DT Swiss max rider weight is around 210lbs. Niner Carbon fork has no max rider weight. I believe these are two of the stronger options available. Most others are closer to the 185lb range.

meh... whatever
    i love the bontrager race x lite carbon fork. a wee bit heavier than the other options because it doesn't have a carbon crown/steerer but has great geometry, massive mud clearance, no weight limit, and is BOMBPROOF. i've got one that i have severely abused since '98 and it's still going strong and riding nice.

that being said i've been eyeballing the niner fork for a while and will be giving it a day in court soon.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

mtbr member
    Pretty sure the White Bros Rock Solid has no rider weight limit...not the lightest but built solid.

Spear & Magic Helmet
    Quote Originally Posted by monogod View Post
    i love the bontrager race x lite carbon fork. a wee bit heavier than the other options because it doesn't have a carbon crown/steerer but has great geometry, massive mud clearance, no weight limit, and is BOMBPROOF. i've got one that i have severely abused since '98 and it's still going strong and riding nice.

that being said i've been eyeballing the niner fork for a while and will be giving it a day in court soon.
    I've had both and really enjoyed the Niner much better. I felt that the steering was more precise and faster, but at the same time more stable. Really like it.

To the OP: Check out the geo on the Syncros. The offset is only 35 mm which will change your trail and slow the handling a bit. It a bit taller, too - 485 mm AC - so will slacken the HA out a bit. You might like this a lot, or perhaps not - all personal.

Here's a little review from twentynineinches Syncros FL Carbon 29?er Rigid Fork: Updated Ride Impressions

mtbr member
    I have a bike with each of the Niner carbon forks, standard fork and RDO. There is no weight limit for either (I'm 225 lbs). Earlier this year I crashed really hard on the bike with the standard fork, stopping the bike instantly. I thought I may have broken the fork but there was absolutely no damage.
    I like both of them a lot; the RDO is a little stiffer and I feel less vibration with it than their standard carbon.

Bro Mountainbiker
    You cant beat the Niner. Best fork I have ever ridden hands down. I have ridden a few steel, and I also own the WB Rock Solid. The Niner kills them in the stiffness and weight category.

I just wish they made a non tapered, thru axle option! I would convert both my bikes so fast.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Ovaries on the Outside
    Yeah dood, being fat and riding cf suxs. amiright? I was too fat my White Brothers and it pretty much leaves a Niner, which costs more than a threesome and looks like an inverted anal wall.

mtbr member
    I've had an Origin 8, Pace, Niner, WB and DT Swiss. My hands down favorite is the DT Swiss. The Niner would be my 2nd choice but I ultimately like the geometry of the DT better on my bike (Misfit). The WB is the harshest riding rigid fork I've ever ridden (carbon or otherwise). If i had a tapered head tube i would probably spring for the new Carver carbon fork. For what it's worth I think Salsa's El Mariachi fork rides damned good as well and you could buy 4 of them for the price of a Niner or the DT.

Karma Vampire
    To the OP, if you are in need of a used Pace with plenty of steerer tube, I know a guy who knows a guy.

mtbr member
    The only two rigid forks I have ridden are the Vicios Cycles steel for I had on my old Vicious Motivator (loved that bike), and the standard Niner carbon I had on my One9, and now on my El Comandante.

The steel fork might have been a little more forgiving, but the Niner fork is so stiff, and has plenty of room for a meaty front tire (Racing Ralph 2.4 on mine). I definitely like having a tire like that up front on a rigid setup.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have a Voodoo Zombie chromoly before I changed to the NINER carbon on my 26er. Love the NINER much better for the weight saving, chatter absorbent characteristics of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I've been searching around. I'm riding a Rockhopper with slider dropouts in either 32/20 or 32/17 and like the way the bike fits.

I bet the new 2013 Carve SS with it's "chisel" rigid carbon fork would also fit just fine and I like the way that fork looks much more so than the Niner.

Specialized 2013 Carve SL 29er Mountain Bike

Or I could spend a lot less than 1300 bucks on my bike getting Stan's rims and that Syncros fork which would drop my bike down to about 22#. I'd still be ahead enough to upgrade the brakes too.

Well, it ain't going to happen tonight, so no worries and I'll think about it.

Thanks for all the replys. I just can't see putting a Niner fork on my bike, might work great, but can't handle the look of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer View Post
    I Love the NINER much better for the weight saving, chatter absorbent characteristics of it.
    yup

SPP
    Rigid.

Members who have read this thread: 0