Rigid; Okay, I'm hooked- Mtbr.com
    Retro Grouch

Rigid; Okay, I'm hooked

As some may know I rebuilt a Bontrager and entered the world of SS rigid. Folks it's a hoot. I went with the new Hutchison Python, 2.3 on the front. Road up to the top of Santa Cruz's heartbreak hill, i.e. Sandpoint. Once there I let some air out of the front tire, pointed it down, and went for broke. It worked !!. I went down like a rocket and the abuse was tolerable. Who else out there is doing the same thing?

1G1G, Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka brad; 10-24-2006 at 06:12 PM.

mtbr member
    That bike looks awesome as a single speed!

mtbr member
    Nice!! New life is a good thing!!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member

me too

Quote Originally Posted by aka brad
    As some may know I rebuilt a Bontrager and entered the world off SS rigid. Folks it's a hoot. I went with the new Hutchison Python, 2.3 on the front. Road up to the top Of Santa Cruz's heartbreak hill, i.e. Sandpoint. Once there I let some air out of the front tire, pointed it down, and went for broke. It worked !!. I went down like a rocket and the abuse was tolerable. Who else out there is doing the same thing?

1G1G, Brad

nice update.

I'm with you on the rigid front. I got a Pace rigid on a whim... and I like it so much I don't think I'm going back to the Reba anytime soon.

velocipede technician
    1 fully rigid racelite, 1 fully rigid OR, 1 fully rigid voodoo squishy is fun but just not quite as fun
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    I went rigid in May/June this year after years of FS and Hardtails with suspension, I can't imagine me going back anytime soon really, I love it!

R I D E S T E E L
    Wow, good looker. Nice job with the rebuild! Enjoy!

mtbr member

Rigid is great.
    It took me a while to get the spring action down for getting up and over big logs.
    But now I love it, I really like the feel of the contours of the ground.
    I will only go back to suspension if I am forced by old age.

later
    jim

CB2
    Jam Econo
    My old rigid Tange Prestige Stumpjumper has been seeing the most mileage from me over the past couple of months.
    I'm running a Kenda Kinetics 2.35 on the front right now, but just got a pair of WTB 2.4 MutanoRaptors for it.
    You get a little more beat up with the rigid fork, but I love the steering precision, and how easy it is to loft the front wheel.

Your Bonty is an inspiration too; I'm thinking of swapping the dropouts and having the old girl powder-coated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ride a rigid singlespeed Curtlo frame with Vicious Cycles fork all around San Jose/Santa Cruz/etc. Until a couple of days ago it was the only MTB I had. I think its a riot and the first time I ride with people they're amazed how fast you can float over the rough stuff without suspension.
    Last edited by gabe0807; 10-25-2006 at 09:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I still love riding my 1986 Rockhopper. This year I finally bought a front suspension bike and its nice in its own right but I am a rigid fork man for life. I remember the first time I rode a friend's suspension fork a few years back; I couldn't stand the feeling of the bike's geometry changing beneeth me. I could ride all of the trails in my local park which has some pretty technical stuff so I figured I didn't need suspension. I just bought a Monocog 29er last week and now I don't think my suspension bike will see much use. I just love the feeling of a rigid fork when standing and riding which I like to do a lot. Bicycling has gotten way to complicated for me so I just keep it simple and enjoy the ride.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister
    1 fully rigid racelite, 1 fully rigid OR, 1 fully rigid voodoo squishy is fun but just not quite as fun
    No need to say "fully rigid" or "full rigid."

Yer either rigid or you ain't.

shiggy made me say that.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Nice Build!!

I just about finished my new Spot build (I'll post pics when its done) and I couldn't decide between getting a shock or rigid. I already have one rigid and thought I should make this one squishy so I had one of each, but, try as I might to get used to the idea of a pogo, I ordered the vicious rigid fork today so it rigid baby, rigid!!

Labrat73

Reviewer/Tester
    R i g i d R o x !

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    rigid is where its at.

Kilted Cyclist
    Jan 2004
    I went back to a rigid bike after racing cyclcross for 2 seasons. Now, I am saving up for a Ti fork.

Got Mojo?
    I went 'Fully Rigid' four or five years ago. The plan was to ride it for a period of time and learn to pick lines.

Four or five years later I guess I am still learning.... I put the suspension fork on once and found that the rigid lines did not always translate well to riding with a bouncer. I put the fork back on.

The only shock I own is locked up in my storage unit. A '98 Z2 SuperFly. I love it and cannot part with it, although I will probably never use it again.

And when it comes to riding rocky/techy trail, the idea of a boinger on the front scares the crap out of me.

A good friend of mine often says, "Ride rigid, eat less dirt."

BTW,

Brad, I have that same Titec/Bontrager Seatpost, and other than learning how to adjust it, I have had no problems with it.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Got Mojo?
    p.s.

I said it before...

That fork is very nice. Whoever made it should be very proud. It looks like it would be compliant.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Retro Grouch

The Curtis Mayfield of shocks..

Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo
    I went 'Fully Rigid' four or five years ago. The plan was to ride it for a period of time and learn to pick lines.

The only shock I own is locked up in my storage unit. A '98 Z2 SuperFly. I love it and cannot part with it, although I will probably never use it again.

That fork rocks. I put it on my 1998 Privateer and it settled down the steering remarkedly. I later learned that Keith was very much into quick steering and used a 1.2 rake on all his forks; even the Rock Shox it came with had a custom crown. The Marzzochi and most other 80 mm shocks are around a 1.6 rake. The shock is still on the bike but it sadly gets no more riding time.

That fork is very nice. Whoever made it should be very proud..
    Check your PM.

Brad

Got Mojo?
    That fork rocks. I put it on my 1998 Privateer and it settled down the steering remarkedly.
    'Back in the day' they were marketed as LONG TRAVEL. 70mm instead of 63. I almost went crazy with those extra 7mm.

Sarcasm aside, it is one of the most plush forks, and the tracking is right on.

That and they were on sale on line closeout for $225 (Black) and $180 (Yellow).
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member
    I built up my SS as a rigid mainly due to cost cutting. Now I don't think I'll ever upgrade to a shock. There's something very basic about riding a SS rigid that is fun.
    Note - I also ride my full suss regularly too though

Retro Grouch

And I bought the yellow...

'Back in the day' they were marketed as LONG TRAVEL. 70mm instead of 63. I almost went crazy with those extra 7mm.

Sarcasm aside, it is one of the most plush forks, and the tracking is right on.

That and they were on sale on line closeout for $225 (Black) and $180 (Yellow).
    It was Marzzochi first attempt at a relatively light shock; metal was removed from the crown and it's the last shock Marzzochi made sans disc tabs. The perfect match to a 1998 frame with no disc tabs. It also had dual air chambers and dual rebound adjusters. The perfect complimant to one of the last lightweight steel frames; even if it was made by Treeck..

Got Mojo?
    It also had dual air chambers and dual rebound adjusters.
    I like it because it is Open Bath.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Members who have read this thread: 0