The Right Fork?- Mtbr.com

Thread: The Right Fork?

mtbr member

New question here. The Right Fork?

I want a new fork for my ‘99 Kona Lavadome. It’s designed for a 3 inch suspension fork
    and still has its original RST 76mm fork. I like the way it rides and want to keep its
    angles at 71/73. I don’t know if I will go rigid and ss or keep it as a sus bike. In rigid
    suspension corrected forks I’ve seen axle to crown lengths of 410 mm, 412, 425, 430,
    and 438 mm. For suspension forks (under $300US), I’ve found a couple of 80mm and a
    few 85mm and that’s it for around 3 inches of travel. I really have two questions, 1) Can
    any of you give me advice on the best rigid fork length for my bike? 2) An 80mm sus
    fork probably won’t change the angles significantly but what about 85mm?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by melo_velo
    I want a new fork for my Ď99 Kona Lavadome. Itís designed for a 3 inch suspension fork
    and still has its original RST 76mm fork. I like the way it rides and want to keep its
    angles at 71/73. I donít know if I will go rigid and ss or keep it as a sus bike. In rigid
    suspension corrected forks Iíve seen axle to crown lengths of 410 mm, 412, 425, 430,
    and 438 mm. For suspension forks (under $300US), Iíve found a couple of 80mm and a
    few 85mm and thatís it for around 3 inches of travel. I really have two questions, 1) Can
    any of you give me advice on the best rigid fork length for my bike? 2) An 80mm sus
    fork probably wonít change the angles significantly but what about 85mm?
    Thanks.
    If you can get hold of a 2003 Pace RC31, that might be about right for you.

I've got one for my Klein and its about 30mm shorter than the 80mm rockshox Duke that it replaces, though the difference isn't that great if you factor in 20mm of sag. If I remember correctly, the 2003 Pace RC31 is adjusted for frames that take 65mm forks - so would be a good fit for your bike, its something like 410mm in length though I can't remember exactly off the top of my head. Even if you don't go for the Pace, it sounds like you should be going for a fork of 410-420mm length, don't go any longer if you want to keep your head angles.

Bear in mind that the Pace RC31 costs bucks compared to other rigids out there and you'd probably need to get Pace to send you one directly from UK (as its last years model, the 2004 model is adjusted for 100mm fork frames and would be too long for you) - but if you fancy pimping out your trusty steed with some select parts, it'll definitely fit the bill.

If I remember correctly, Kona themselves do some very nice rigid forks. My cousin replaced his 80mm fork with a Kona Project 2 when he converted to singlespeed. I think its 420mm and would probably do the job as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Hunter custom rigid fork - still available!

Quote Originally Posted by melo_velo
    I want a new fork for my Ď99 Kona Lavadome. Itís designed for a 3 inch suspension fork
    angles at 71/73. I donít know if I will go rigid and ss or keep it as a sus bike. In rigid
    suspension corrected forks Iíve seen axle to crown lengths of 410 mm, 412, 425, 430,
    and 438 mm. For suspension forks (under $300US), Iíve found a couple of 80mm and a
    few 85mm and thatís it for around 3 inches of travel. I really have two questions, 1) Can
    fork probably wonít change the angles significantly but what about 85mm?
    Thanks.
    e-mail me if you're interested...super-sweet steel fork, custom-built by Rick Hunter of Hunter Cycles (Santa Cruz). suspension corrected to mimic an 80mm Fox Forx.

EL_MATADOR
    EL_MATADOR