mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Rig or X-Caliber

Have a decision to make and need some help. One of my beloved Gary Fisher 29ers must go and trying to decide which one to keep. (06 Gary Fisher Rig or 05 Gary Fisher X-Caliber)

i live in Florida where the there is not much elevation change and have been out on the Rig a couple of times at the local trail and really enjoy the simplicity of the bike and getting used to the demands of SS.

I could probably get by with the Rig but with my job I get to go to Laguna Seca where the Sea Otter Classic trails are and to Tasali in North Carolina. I am just worried about how difficult it will be to do these trails on a SS compared to the geared bike.

Please help this tormented soul!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You........

Quote Originally Posted by RDG65
    Have a decision to make and need some help. One of my beloved Gary Fisher 29ers must go and trying to decide which one to keep. (06 Gary Fisher Rig or 05 Gary Fisher X-Caliber)

i live in Florida where the there is not much elevation change and have been out on the Rig a couple of times at the local trail and really enjoy the simplicity of the bike and getting used to the demands of SS.

I could probably get by with the Rig but with my job I get to go to Laguna Seca where the Sea Otter Classic trails are and to Tasali in North Carolina. I am just worried about how difficult it will be to do these trails on a SS compared to the geared bike.

Came to a SS board to ask if You should keep a geared bike? Actually the X-cal can always be converted to SS so if You feel You may need gears (wuss) sometimes, I say go with that.
    Last edited by gearless; 12-31-2005 at 05:18 AM. Reason: sp.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RDG65

I'm gonna have to say go with the SS. You could always gear down in advance if you're expecting steeper terrain.

Sweep the leg!
    What are your arrangements in Laguna? Could you keep the X-Cal there? I keep a Vitus (that'd be a road bike), helmet & shoes at my in-laws in Seattle for when I visit them. It is significantly easier packing just cycling clothes for visits. Travelling without the worries involved with an airline losing or damaging a bike helps keep a vacation fun. If you can't keep it at a friend's, relative's or your business you might seek a small storage locker. Just my .02.

Members who have read this thread: 0