mtbr member

Rig or 1FG or rigid Karate Monkey?

I work at a shop and have a jones for a SS. We sell both of these and they are readily available. The only other choice I have been considering is a Karate Monkey, but it would be rigid for a while til I could get the $$ for a fork. I really want the 29er, but am not that wild about the Fisher spec. The 1FG would be tons lighter, I imagine, but its only a 26". The thing that I like about the KM is the sliding drop outs vs the EBB on the other bikes. Any thoughts would be welcome. Planning to purchase on Monday.

Recovering couch patato
    I bet that if you look a bit around, you'll have even more options of bikes you can get. Or are Haro, Redline, GT and others no-go's for you?

Next year's 1FG is 29", so you may hate the 26" one when the new one hits.
    I like the Rig, it's a low weight, high performance platform with some decent parts stuck to it.
    The Karate Monkey is a whole other beast. Loves the tighter trails. I consider it's horizontal dropouts the main downside to it. Especially with discs, wheel swaps are not fun. Nicely made and super sturdy though.

mtbr member
    I have some bits from a SS that I used to have. They would probably lighten up the Rig a little. Some Easton EA70 bars, Salsa stem, some BB7 calipers(I know the BB5s are almost the same, but they will fetch more as brand new parts), urban camo FUNN saddle and more than likely a new Michelin XC all terrrain rear tire. I was worried about the noisy EBB, never had one, but it seems like a good idea. I am seriously lean ing towards the RIG, I like the idea of the RS fork too.

mtbr member
    Will an external type BB work w/ the EBB? I am not a fan of the ISIS BB.

mtbr member
    Yes, BB with external bearings and integrated cranks will work with the standard EBB.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My Rig came with BB7 calipers.

I use a truvativ GXP crank and it works fine. I tried the michelin's on my rig, and they felt really harsh to me. I'm using fast traks now, which have considerable more squish to them. The stock ACX tires sucked IMO.

2006 sswc RockStar
    Dec 2006
    rig rides good, even after swapping to pace carbon 440mm forks carbon bars stem and s/post ti pedals and middleburn cranks plus other light stuff still only just below 24lbs so its not light weight. i would ditch the reba's and put a 440mm fork on there, tranforms it amazingly, and coss of the high bb, no clearance probs. really enjoyed it like that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I enjoy riding the rig as well. Lightened up the enormously heavy front end with a pace carbon fork. With that and the weirwolf 2.55 lt tire on the front, there's more than enough squish =). Still would like to get the bike a little lighter, maybe stem, bar, etc will help some. But overall its a nice bike.

mtbr member
    1fg

My one says BRAP!

NardoSS
    Rig is great but the wheels are very heavy as is the semi-proprietary heavy EBB which can't be swapped out for the newer model. It sucks that people have to drill out the EBB because there's nothing else out there worth spending 100 bucks on that saves more than a few grams.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

1FG 29er

I would wait a little while for the '08 Cannondale 1FG 29er. It is the best 29er I have ridden and the lightest, even with the suspension it is lighter than my rigid RIG. I am not sure the way it will be spec. but it would be worth the wait.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Just some C'dale info ... they are thinking of making two variations of the 1FG 29er, one rigid and one with front suspension. I definetly would wait for the '08 C'dales to come out before you buy a single speed... especially if you work for a C'dale shop. My rigid will be ordered the day they become available.
    "Don't take life too serious. You'll never get out alive."

mtbr member
    Yeah, I talked to them about the 29ers and they said that details would not be available til mid July. Which means ship may not be til later in the summer. Kinda wanted to get some SS riding in now. Thanks for all the replies.

mtbr member
    I'm definitely getting another 1FG next season. It will be really interesting to see how they spec them. I'm interested in the the 26" version as well, but a 29er with lefty really really appeals to me.

hmmmm....
    My one says BRAP!

mtbr member
    May 2006

karate monkey

i'm happy with the KM. i also have a waltworks 26 ss. i'm happy with it also. i really think the KM might be underpriced. try it rigid before you run out and get all squishy. the wheel removal is not that bad- loosen two bolts, re-tighten (bb7).

mtbr member
    Well, for the time being, I ordered a White Industries ENO disc hub and I am going to convert my Caffeine F1 frame to SS. If it is what I am thinking its going to be, then I will go 29er. I'll have about $180 wrapped up in the rear wheel and I am going to pull the small and big rings off my LX cranks and get a bash ring. The rest of the bike will have the Lefty, XT hydraulic brakes and more than likely a lighter bar. Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0