mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Riding a 1x9 like SS.... does this make sense?

I currently have a 3x9 26" HT and want to take the plunge over to 29er HT single speed in the spring. To get a feel if I like it or not, I've been riding it as a single speed and not shifting gears and after about 4 rides I think I like it except on long flat areas and pavement.

I was wondering about going 1x9 instead and simply riding it as a single speed. This way I could still move up a gear or 2 on long flat sections of trail or on pavement that I sometimes need to ride to get to the trail. Does this make sense and aside from a little extra weight and maintenance, am I loosing much efficiency with a 1x9?

mtbr member
    some people here has a 2 x 2 setup. do a search for dinglespeed. basically you have 2 rings and two cogs. one for road and flat trails and one for hills. if the ratios are correct, you can use the same chain length for both.

mtbr member
    Sorry, "not shifting" is not the same as singlespeeding. 2x5 would be more efficient than 1x9 as it has less chain crossover; Lots of people doing the 1x9 thing, use the search feature.

mtbr member
    I have a 1x9 and a single speed.

Nothing alike.

1x9 is not that much different than a 3x9. Single speed is a whole different animal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    OK so riding a 1x9 and singlespeeding are not alike. Is it peddling efficiency, smoothness... help me understand? I don't know anyone who has a single speed and I'm sure riding the parking lot at the LBS is not going to add much insight.

Birthday Collector
    John - I did the same thing on my Enduro for a number of rides, one of them being particularly long and difficult, to see if I thought I might pull it off. I popped for an XXIX and it is all I ride anymore. The main attraction for me is: It makes the "same old trail" become a challenge again. It is QUIET. That is one of the things I like the most. No chain slap, no sound of the chain running through the pulleys, etc... Just tires on the ground and the little bit of chain noise you get from one set of lined-up cogs. Minimal. I also feel like a kid out exploring on his BMX. It is just plain fun. Yes, sometimes I have to stop and take a break on a longer or steeper climb, and if it is really steep, god forbid I even walk once in a while, but it is just part of the experience. If I build a 29" FS bike, I'll probably go 1 x 9 on that, but will still keep a SS as long as I am strong enough to ride it.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

!Vamos, flaco!
    Quote Originally Posted by john.wilkinson@datacon.at
    OK so riding a 1x9 and singlespeeding are not alike. Is it peddling efficiency, smoothness... help me understand? I don't know anyone who has a single speed and I'm sure riding the parking lot at the LBS is not going to add much insight.
    They are not alike. A 1x9 is a simplified drivetrain and makes you stronger than a 3x9 because you lose some really easy gears. Similar to a SS, on a 1x9 you may also spin out on long gradual downhills, such as those on the road. However, if you have gears, you will use them and the bike feels and sounds much different with even just nine gears.
    "Fact is only what you believe; fact and fiction work as a team." Jack Johnson

mtbr member
    Like it says here, while you may be able to sit at the common 1.8-2.0 ratio that most of us 26ers run, it'll feel much less responsive due to the derailleur, longer chain, and chain slack associated with the two.

SS feels much more solid out of the saddle too, kinda hard to explain. The other benefit is that, since you're not focused on shifting, you focus more on the ride and your surroundings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have a rigid 29er set-up with 1x9 gearing. Its not an SS but I do ride it in a similar fashion. I am out of the saddle a lot, attack hills and try an maintain my momentum as much as possible. I have had SS in the past and I recently started riding a rigid 26er SS again and Its different but some of the riding technique is the same.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    when i had a 3x9 i usually stayed on the middle ring (32t) so a 1x9 would have been the same for me. u dont get the SS feel since still have a RD and 9 cogs.

i tried out SSing with a gearie and just stayed in 32/18....just to see if i could do it. i enjoyed it and made the conversion to SS. i love it. i had fun on my "gearie ss" and now have way more fun on my true SS. the simplicity is a huge difference. no shifters, fd or rd. no chain slap or derailleur noise. its wonderful! the more i ride my SS, the more i love it.
    Sette Reken "Hopper" SS

Ovaries on the Outside
    There is a rhythm to SS that is difficult to replicate with a geared bike. Compare a rigid fork to suspension- you have to approach the ride differently, which you may or may not enjoy, but it is highly dependent on the individual.

Monocog Masher
    I agree that a 1x9 is not the same as a single speed. If you ride a ss you only have one choice and you will make due with that one gear. Your style of riding totally changes, and for the better in my case. When I ride my geared bike I try to ride it like a single speed when clearing obstacles and riding on flats or up gradual inclines.

If you have never owned a SS, forget the 1x9 for now and get a SS. Learn to ride with just one gear and your legs in shape. If in year you still want a 1x9, then get it. But you won't learn the same skills starting out on a 1x9. IMHO

Members who have read this thread: 0