Rides in New England/Upstate NY?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Rides in New England/Upstate NY?

A friend & I are heading north from Baltimore in search of new singletrack to ride over the holiday weekend. We're considering upstate NY, western Mass, CT, wherever there's a combination of tight twisty, hilly &/ or rocky terrain. Not looking to travel as far as VT, NH though. Looking for rides from 2-5 hours in duration, as our local rides are usually 12 to 40 miles long on some of the tougher trails of MD's Appalachian foothills. If anyone can pass along info on areas/trails to ride it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    www.saratogamtb.org= some of the best riding in upstate NY

The berkshires in Western Mass. have some good stuff too

mtbr member

New Paltz area

I rode with these guys when i would go up to Kingston to visit wifes friend. They had some fun riding. Have a good trip.

AOF
    mtbr member

For New England rides....

Check out the NEMBA forum

-Dan
    My LBS

Take advantage of every opportunity to ride your bicycle!

try driving your car less
    I have done some nice riding in the Williamstown, MA area. cool little town,too.
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks to everyone for your input! We've had a change of plans though. Looks like we're heading south to VA to ride the GW National Forest. I'll file away your suggestions for future use!

French for "Suck"
    Other good resources: www.crankfire.com and www.bikerag.com

CT has a TON of good mountain biking, and Ninham and Blue Mountain in NY are two of the funnest places I've ever ridden.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Where exactly in Williamstown did you ride?

Quote Originally Posted by jh_on_the_cape
    I have done some nice riding in the Williamstown, MA area. cool little town,too.
    I work in Williamstown and would love to know where the trails are.

mtbr member

Riding in Williamstown

Quote Originally Posted by soly
    I work in Williamstown and would love to know where the trails are.
    Hey Soly,

I work and live in Williamstown, too. There's great riding on Mt. Greylock (up Bellows Pipe, down Thunderbolt, around on Pipeline), on the Taconic Crest (up Jeep Trail, down X21 or Mooses or Torrey Hollow), in White Oaks (standard loop), and -- if you're willing to drive -- at Balance Rock, Pittsfield state forest, and Grafton state park. The site of Pedro's Fest is fifteen minutes away, and those are fun trails, too. Drop me a PM and we'll get a crew together to show you around.

Apropos the original post (and while we're all playing chamber of commerce riffs), if folks are looking to ride in Western Mass, Williamstown would be a great place to come for a long weekend. There are decent restaurants, an excellent bike shop, amazing museums, a great theater festival, and fine hikes for the non-bikers. You can check out originals of the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and the Articles of Confederation at the college rare book library. Bring your road bike and join us for a hard ride from the coffee shop on Tuesdays.

Joe

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzmissle
    Hey Soly,

I work and live in Williamstown, too. There's great riding on Mt. Greylock (up Bellows Pipe, down Thunderbolt, around on Pipeline), on the Taconic Crest (up Jeep Trail, down X21 or Mooses or Torrey Hollow), in White Oaks (standard loop), and -- if you're willing to drive -- at Balance Rock, Pittsfield state forest, and Grafton state park. The site of Pedro's Fest is fifteen minutes away, and those are fun trails, too. Drop me a PM and we'll get a crew together to show you around.

Apropos the original post (and while we're all playing chamber of commerce riffs), if folks are looking to ride in Western Mass, Williamstown would be a great place to come for a long weekend. There are decent restaurants, an excellent bike shop, amazing museums, a great theater festival, and fine hikes for the non-bikers. You can check out originals of the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, Bill of Rights, and the Articles of Confederation at the college rare book library. Bring your road bike and join us for a hard ride from the coffee shop on Tuesdays.

Joe
    Thanks Joe. I have done some riding around Pittsfield state forest/Balance Rock. We have also ridden out at Grafton. I appreciate the info on the Williamstown trails. We are planning on attending Pedros Fest too.

Thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0