Rider Down- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rider Down

Probably drunk right now

Rider Down

Saturday morning around 1:00 a.m., Zeke Sheppard, local bike shop employee, commuter, beer drinker and all around great guy was struck by a car while riding to his house.

He's in critical condition at Research Medical Center in Kansas City. He's hooked up to a respirator to control his breathing. The swelling in his brain seems to be going down and the bleeding from his brain seems to be slowing as well.

He's responding to simple commands and the doctors and his family are guardedly optimistic at this point. He's a long way from out of the woods though.

We're working on several ways to generate funds for Zeke to help him pay his medical and rehab bills. Despite what you may have heard, the rock star life style of a bike shop employee doesn't pay that well. He's going to need help.

Zeke's shop, BikeSource in Kansas City (913-451-1515) is set up to take donations for Zeke.

The promoters for Rapture in Misery 6/12 Hour Race, Heartland Sports Promotions is donating 100% of the proceeds from the September 24th race to Zeke's medical bill. If you can come down and race, we'll find you a place to stay. Your race money goes directly to Zeke. http://heartlandrace.com/index2.htm

In addition, at the race we're putting together a kick ass raffle. As you can imagine, a whole lot of the bike industry has stepped up to offer products for the raffle to help Zeke. Again, 100% of the proceeds from the raffle go to Zeke. The bar that Zeke keeps in business will likely do some sort of fund raiser that weekend as well.

We're in the process of setting up both a trust account and a Paypal account to accept donations. When I have those established, I'll update this post.

I'll keep you updated on Zeke's condition and any efforts to help him offset what are sure to be huge medical bills.

Please keep Zeke in your thoughts and prayers.

Steel and teeth.
    This is one of my greatest fears having been hit a few times already while commuting...

Great to see this much support! Our prayers are with you.

Get Paypal up and running and I am in.

bb

I am the owl
    Pushing this back to the top.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

I am the owl

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Zeke fund Paypal account is set up

A PayPal account has been set up to accept donations. There's also a mailing address to send checks, etc. Full details here, summary below:

Trust Fund
    Premier Bank in Overland Park, Kansas is where weíve set up the donation account for Zeke. You can mail a check or money order to:

Premier Bank
    Attention: Zeke Fund
    11830 W 135th St
    Overland Park, KS 66221

Paypal
    For those of you with Paypal accounts, you can deposit funds directly to this account:
    [email protected]

We will deposit donations from this account in to the donation account at Premier. If you donít have a Paypal account but would prefer to donate this way, itís easy to set one up. You can set you free account up by going to www.paypal.com

More Local Bike Store Support
    In addition to Zekeís shop, another local shop in Kansas City is now accepting donations. You can stop in or call The Trek Store of Kansas City at 913-631-6800 with a donation as well.
    Thanks to Ken and everyone else involved for doing the leg work to make this happen.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

King Pin

Bonking ... not feelin' well Damn.

One of my worst fears! Get better Zeke, I don't know you....but my thoughts are with you right now. Take care buddy.....

Paypal'ed some cash.

34N 118W

duplicate

sucks
    Last edited by Hollywood; 09-06-2005 at 03:16 PM. Reason: because computers suck

34N 118W

thanks

that sucks. I'll PP some $. Any friend of Evil is a friend of mine.

in related news, our guy wasn't so lucky

...Phillip Hernandez was hit just before 6 p.m. on two-lane Long Canyon Road, which leads to the Long Canyon bike trails. He was legally riding within the roadway near the curb and was wearing a bicycle helmet, police said, when he was struck by the SUV.

..."I would call it an avoidable accident," said Officer Vernon Trujillo, adding the most likely explanation was that the SUV driver "was not paying enough attention."

He was 39 and a father of 6. "He loved Lance Armstrong," she said, referring to the seven-time Tour De France bicycle champion. He and his wife Michele were avid athletes. Michele would often join him mountain biking and is a women's personal trainer.

It was the second traffic fatality that afternoon. Around 3:35 p.m., a Canoga Park woman was jogging in Westlake Village when she was hit by a driver on Thousand Oaks Boulevard, authorities said. Irma Guerrero, 32, was taken to Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center in Thousand Oaks, where she died.

out to get us, I tell ya. God bless the families.

DiscoCowboy

19" Cove Stiffee - Zeke Fund

I've been trying to sell this for awhile and have one offer for Novemeber. But here's the deal, I have a Cove Stiffee FR in good used condition I need to get rid of. I'll include an XT rear der and LX front and an extra der hanger (if I can find it).

I'll sell the frame for $150 + shipping and everything goes to help Zeke with his medical bills.

I will post pics as soon as I get home tonight. Thanks everyone!
    -j

There is chain suck along the drive side and a small dent along the bottom of the downtube. Neither of which affect the integrity of the bike, straight from the horses mouth at Cove Bikes. The bike is pretty much bomb-proof. 19" c-t | 23" effective tt

Headtube is nice and round

If you buy the bike I'll give you a good deal on a next to new 2004 Z1 FR
    Last edited by Allroy; 09-08-2005 at 05:22 AM. Reason: addition

mtbr member

send me a email....

with a pic, I'm very interested...

thanks,

MC

steelsinglespeedATmacDOTcom

Quote Originally Posted by Allroy
    I've been trying to sell this for awhile and have one offer for Novemeber. But here's the deal, I have a Cove Stiffee FR in good used condition I need to get rid of. I'll include an XT rear der and LX front and an extra der hanger (if I can find it).

I'll sell the frame for $150 + shipping and everything goes to help Zeke with his medical bills.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

ditto interested

kdufresnATcomcastDOTnet

I am the owl
    Cranks for sale, all proceeds go to the Zeke fund. $75 shipped in the US. Brand new, never used, Truvativ Luftalarm, 36 tooth, 175mm. email me: riderx AT singlespeedoutlaw DOT com

Built extra tough to take a beating, Luftalarm cranksets feature: Forged AL-7050-TV construction which is highly fatigue resistant due an optimized heat treatment, high polish finish, fully CNC'd 1/4" thick durable AL-7075-T6 sprocket with an adjustable AL-7075-T6 fully CNC'd bashgurard (guard & hardware included) 1/8" - 3mm thick teeth, DIN 12.9 high strength heat treated cromoly hardware, heat treated cromoly crank Self-Extratctor system, cranks removeable via 8mm allen wrench. Use a 113mm ISIS spindle. 830g.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

cause it's fun
    Jan 2004
    Don't know Zeke, but looks like he could use some help. I sent as much as I could...Figure he needs it more than I do right now.

Get well Zeke!
    Last edited by gofast; 09-07-2005 at 08:01 AM.
    bus driver wanna be

Art is Resistance
    I've met, ridden and drunk with Zeke.

This really sucks to hear, he's a great guy. (it would still suck if he wasn't a great guy)

I'm broke as a joke right now, but come the 15th, i'll Paypal some money. That's a crappy situation, and with the shape of the insurance industry, it's going to cost him a fortune.

My thoughts are with you, dude. Get well soon.

Probably drunk right now

Zeke Medical Update

This update from a local mountain biking doctor who is monitoring Zeke's medical condition for us:

Friends, I just spoke to Zeke's mother. There really isn't a whole lot of "new" information. While that might seem disappointing at first, being stable after a head injury isn't necessarily bad. They're planning to repeat the CAT Scan of his head later today, just to make sure there's been no increase in swelling or bleeding of the brain. He's still on the respirator in the ICU and there hasn't been any talk yesterday or so far today about taking him off the machine and transferring him to the floor (that's hospitalesse for, out of the ICU and into a "regular" hospital room/bed.) He still isn't allowed visitors. The swelling and bruising is starting to recede and, he's apparently already regaining his Burt Reynoldsesque rugged good looks...

His mother was obviously touched to hear about the site set-up here for donations, and she was particularly moved when I told her that a donation had come in from Copenhagen and, from people who had heard about the accident, but didn't even know Zeke. Way cool fellow cyclists---giving comfort to a worrying mother by giving of yourselves. In light of the people I've met and befriended because of cycling, I don't think any of us are at all surprised by your response and generosity. Thanks. Zeke's mother is going to let me know if anything of substance happens today, including the results of his CAT scan. So, Karen &/or I will post an update once we know anything new.

RidetoLive,BuildtoRide

DItto

Quote Originally Posted by djcrb9
    I've met, ridden and drunk with Zeke.

This really sucks to hear, he's a great guy. (it would still suck if he wasn't a great guy)

I'm broke as a joke right now, but come the 15th, i'll Paypal some money. That's a crappy situation, and with the shape of the insurance industry, it's going to cost him a fortune.

My thoughts are with you, dude. Get well soon.

when I first read this yesterday I was all bummed out cause I too am a broke biatch till the 15th. So ditto me in for the 15th. We don't have alot (Teri and I) but we'll give what we can.
    I must say I have had a few tears roll up in the eye's, when you read a fellow cyclist has been hit and then folks whom don't even know him jump on the band wagon and help that's pretty touching.

Peace
    Last edited by Squirrely1; 09-07-2005 at 10:45 AM. Reason: forgot something
    I'm only as fast as the previous nights 12 pack, and as crazy as Einstein

www.cyclinglyfestyle.blogspot.com
    http://cyclingtattoogallery.blogspot.com/

Nightriding rules SuperModerator

Just PP'ed some money..

.. it wasn't much, but I wanted to help....

Are there any updates on Zeke's condition?`

Hoping for the best,
    Cris

Flat Pluto Society

Dayam.

Awful . Get better soon, Zeke. I hope we can scrape up the cash to help.

I've got a couple of these Giant shirts for sale, size XL. PM me an offer, and the highest bid by Saturday night gets one or both, plus some MTBR stickers. Zeke gets the $$.

fp
    Attached Images Attached Images

Probably drunk right now

9/8 Medical Update

Some encouraging news. This from Karen, Zeke's GF:

Zeke's CAT scan results came back last night with positive results. Slowly, but surely that ol' noggin of his is getting better. The doctor that admitted Zeke the night of the accident is now back and told his family that he would be there every day to come and check up on him, which I know is a big relief for his family. I saw Zeke last night and he is even starting to look a little better. His black eye is starting to heal up which kinda stinks 'cuz I was hoping to tell him when he wakes up that he actually got in one kick ass bar fight. But his bruises are going down and the stubble he is growing makes him look like a rugged mountain man. The doc says he has a 3rd degree head trauma (which I think is the worst, am I correct, Pink?) but the doctor feels positive that Zeke will recover just fine. As always, we must wait and see. All in all, he is starting to look better.

Please keep him and his family in your thoughts and prayers. Keep the donations rolling in, buy a shirt...whatever. I hope to see you all at the Brewery next week.

**Forgot to say this last time but the doctors hope to have Zeke off the respirator in just a few days**

Thank you all for your support and your donations!

Ken

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Was he wearing a helmet?

I'll send some money once these ebay people pay me....

People who hit bike commuters should get the death penalty.

Probably drunk right now

September 24 Auction and Raffle

All,

I've received several requests from people, bike stores, and suppliers who want to donate new and used (in good condition) items to the raffle and auction scheduled for the Rapture in Misery race on September 24.

Please send those items you wish to donate to:

BikeSource
    11500 W 135th Street
    Overland Park, KS 66221
    (913) 451-1515

Attention: Zeke Fund Auction (or Raffle), whichever you prefer.

Also, please email me: kminer(at)everestkc(dot)net and let me know what you're shipping down, so I can add those products to the list.

We will be holding a raffle as well as a silent auction for some of the items. If you have a preference on which of the two you would like to contribute to, please let me know.

Again, I can't thank you enough for your support and contribution to a fallen rider.

Ken

Probably drunk right now

No

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer
    Was he wearing a helmet?

I'll send some money once these ebay people pay me....

People who hit bike commuters should get the death penalty.

No, he wasn't wearing a helmet. The details of the accident are still unkown. There is only one witness to the accident and he was driving the car that hit Zeke. Zeke will never remember the accident. So, in addition to his medical bills, he has two citations with his name on them.

Some lawyers have volunteers to help Zeke pro-bono on the legal front, so we're concentrating our efforts where we can help the most, on helping him offset what are going to be huge medical bills.

Ken

I am the owl
    Ken - With the raffles, are they local only or can tix be purchase remotely and if so, how?
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Probably drunk right now

I'm trying to figure that out...

Quote Originally Posted by riderx
    Ken - With the raffles, are they local only or can tix be purchase remotely and if so, how?
    I don't know. I'm trying to figure that out. I would appreciate any thoughts, ideas or suggestions. Keep in mind the goal is to rasie as much money as possible. Here is my thought so far:

Raffle: Local only. It's easier to manage, must be present to win, etc.

Auction: More of a silent auction. Open to anyone to bid. Highest bidder wins the item. There are some really sweet items that people have donated for this:

- Surly came through with a Karate Monkey Frame and Fork
    - Dirt Rag is donating a Lifetime subscription and various DR products
    - Rhino Records is donating some sweet box sets: The Ramones/weird tales of the ramones (3cd/1dvd set), Black Sabbath/black box: complete original black sabbath (1970-1978)(8cd/1dvd set), Yes/the word is live (3cd set) and The Faces/five guys walk into a bar... (4cd set)
    - There are several brand new forks
    - Perhaps a set of disc brakes as well as anything else people, bike shops and the industry would like to donate toward the auction.

The basic idea is that we would find someone willing to host some sort of guerilla silent auction with the items going to the highest bidder. My thought right now is that the auction would run through the end of September, perhaps closing on October 3.

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?

Ken

I am the owl
    As far as auctioning stuff, eBay seems to be a no brainer. Not only is it already set up to do that stuff, but you get the added benefit of users who are just searching for the various parts stumbling across the auction when searching ebay.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com

Probably drunk right now

Raffle Update

We're working on putting together a way to enter the raffle through Paypal. Just trying to figure out how to issue the raffle tickets, etc.

Ken

Probably drunk right now

9/9 Medical Update: Great News!!!!

Zeke's been breathing unassisted for about an hour and a half!!!!! They took him off the respirator today and he's doing well!!!!

Ken

King Pin

Smile Rt

Sounds like El' Zeke is doing well! Breathe Zeke!

Just sold some more crap on Ebay....just added more money to the Zeke fund.

I've lot's more crap to sell......God love the 'bay. Zeke.....get better man. Soon! I'm gonna run outa crap. hehe.

Kenny, how TF do we sell sammiches on the internet???????

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Zeke's been breathing unassisted for about an hour and a half!!!!! They took him off the respirator today and he's doing well!!!!

Ken

Awesome news....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC

Ken
    Keep us posted...

Cheers,
    Cris

King Pin

Good job!

Posted a link over at Adventure Rider.

Motorbike group, huge....fantastic bunch of folks over there! Some of 'em even ride pedal bikes!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95677

Probably drunk right now

Zeke Update

There's not much to report on the medical front. Zeke is off the respirator but still in the ICU. The docs are monitoring him closely and we're hoping he'll be moved to a normal hospital room soon.

For those of you in or near KC, there is a fund raiser tonight at 75th Street Brewery. The brewery is donating the food and beer for the event with any sales proceeds going to the Zeke Fund.

Dale Maxfield and the Silver Hammers (http://www.dalemaxfield.com/) are donating their time, music and all CD sales tonight the Zeke Fund.

There is a ride from the Brewery starting at 6:30. Fixies, clown bike and costumes are encouraged. Helmets are required. The ride will be casual and last 30-40 minutes. Get your hammering in prior to this one.

On behalf of Zeke and his family, thank you for your support and contribution.

Ken Miner

Please foward this on to anyone you like.

Probably drunk right now

Minneapolis Fundraiser Ride

For those of you near the 612, this Friday the 16th there's a Zeke Fund ride:

meet at 7 at One On One Studio (117 n washington) downtown. Rollout at 7:30.

Bring your cruiser/hoopty/fixie/3 speed/clown bike

Wear something nice - I'm wearin' a suit. Fo' ril!

Wear a helmet (for Zeke ok?)

Heading to the Hexagon. Three bands. No cover. The bands are donating to the Zeke fund.

Spin Spin Coupling
    Wes Burline and the Librarians
    Coach Said Not To

Get there punk!

Questions to sov at evilcycling dot com.

Tree Hugger
    Jul 2005

Be careful out there.

I just sent Zeke some money (pp). (Nope don't know him, but I know he liked to ride and I know that he could use the help). Now I'm going to send some money to a fund setup for a member of my cycling club that was plowed down by a catering truck last weekend.

http://independentsources.com/2005/09/16/malibu/

Be careful out there. It's as important to return from the ride as it is to enjoy the ride.

~Reed

Probably drunk right now

Zeke Fundraising Raffle/Auction Update

All,

I have some very exciting news regarding the Zeke fundraising raffle and auction that will take place next Saturday (24th) at Heartland Sports Promotion's, Rapture in Misery, 6/12 hour race. In addition to Heartland (www.heartlandrace.com) donating 100% of the proceeds from this race to the Zeke Fund, there is a huge list of items that will either be part of the raffle or part of the auction.

The following is an update from calls or emails I received over the weekend. I've bracketed the two most exciting items with some extraordinary auction items:

Carol's Chopper Bike!
    Carol H. won the Giant chopper bike at the Zeke benefit on Thursday and would like to donate it back to us in order to put it up for bid at the silent auction at RIM. The bike retails for $450 and she's putting a $200 reserve on this sweet, sweet bike. Thank you Carol for your generosity.

Vintage Campy Wool Jersey!
    Cycling purists will drool over a vintage Campy wool jersey. Very sweet. As soon as I figure out what the retail would be on this, I'll have a better idea on the reserve

Graham Watson Prints!
    Several prints from legendary cycling photographer, Graham Watson will be raffled off to the highest bidder.

Bergamo PEZ Full Riding Kit!
    Some lucky cyclist will wind up with a full kit of high end Bergamo PEZ clothing. Arm-warmers, a jersey, some socks, and a pair of bibs.

HUGE NEWS OF THE DAY ALERT!!!!
    We all know that cycling is a close knit community. Whether a kid on a Pacific or a pro rider goes down, we're all pedaling on two wheels. I read an email I received over the weekend, read it again and still can't believe what I'm about to tell you:

- Christian VandeVelde who has just been named to the World's team for CSC is donating a Team CSC skin suit signed by the entire Vuelta de Espa√Īa CSC team and Bjarne Riis!!!

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? One of the world's strongest professional cycling teams is sending us a signed skin suit worth well over $1,000! There's a catch, though. The suit is coming from Christian, who was planning on being in the states until he was named to the World's team. So we won't have the suit for RIM. We will take bids and as soon as we receive it, we'll make sure that the winning bidder gets it.

Conclusion
    I will send out an email with the full listing of auction and raffle items on Wednesday. I've been asked several times if people from outside Kansas City can participate in the auction. After careful consideration, the answer is, yes they can. But they will have to have a proxy bidder in Kansas City. That proxy bidder will have to attend the auction and agree to meet the winning bid in the event that they winning bidder doesn't remit their funds within one week of September 24th.

Thank you all again for supporting a fallen rider. I know Zeke and his family appreciate all the support they're receiving from quite literally, all over the world.

Regards,

Ken Miner

P.S. Please forward this to as many people and lists as you like.

P.P.S. If you would like to donate items for the Zeke Fund Raffle, please email me at [email protected]

http://helpzeke.com/

Awesome news!!

I hope you raise lots of money.... Get well Zeke!!!

Cheers from a Costa Rican in Germany,
    Cris

Recovering couch patato
    If that isn't THE coolest recovery outfit for a wrecked cyclist...a signed CSC skinsuit...someone ought to win the auction and donate the suit back to Zeke to ride in :-)
    They're a strong team, with a bit of luck they'll have a rainbow jersey to spare too...

Who turned out the lights

Custom Frame Raffle for Zeke

I originally posted this in the 29" board, so here's the link:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=131063

Badger Cycles is putting up a custom frame built just for you with all proceeds going to the Z-man. I don't think you can beat $5 for a chance at a custom frame that normally goes for $1250.

The drawing is on Halloween.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    that sucks. I'll PP some $. Any friend of Evil is a friend of mine.

in related news, our guy wasn't so lucky

...Phillip Hernandez was hit just before 6 p.m. on two-lane Long Canyon Road, which leads to the Long Canyon bike trails. He was legally riding within the roadway near the curb and was wearing a bicycle helmet, police said, when he was struck by the SUV.

..."I would call it an avoidable accident," said Officer Vernon Trujillo, adding the most likely explanation was that the SUV driver "was not paying enough attention."
    I love the wording 'an avoidable accident'! How about 'the asshat in the Suburban was not looking out for other road users on a wide open four-lane road in broad daylight'?!

Subsequent articles said the family did not want charges pressed. It's just another example of cyclists (and motorcyclists) being treated as if we don't belong on the road, and if something happens to one of us, too bad, so sad.

I rode up that same road a day later (as I often do - I live around the corner), and wondered what the memorial (flowers, candles) were for. I got chills when I found out. I'll continue to include that road in my routes, perhaps with a huge 'WATCH OUT FOR CYCLISTS!' day-glo sign on my back.

I've said it a million times - it is far too easy to get a driving license in this country.

Jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    My kids pediatrician was just killed wjile jogging. Again hit by an SUV not paying enough attention.

This type of crime should carry a mandatory minimum 10 year sentence.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I posted this thread in the German singlespeed forum and hope that it wil raise some additional funds....

Morfeus

Keep Singlespeeding Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Morfeus
    I posted this thread in the German singlespeed forum and hope that it wil raise some additional funds....
    Here they come!

As the promoter of SSWC2004 I will throw in a very unique piece of bike jewellery made by Jen Green.
    There are also some copies of it but this is my original she made for me.
    Sterling silver and all that jazz.
    Not sure if it would be better to put it up on ebay. I just give it a try on here.
    Shipping is on me - where ever it goes.
    Your offer should at least be 100US$.

If someone from Europe offers me some nice money (at least 200 in that case) I will throw in a VIP-entry to the 2006 Euro-Champs that includes free beer for two nights!

If you are a little short in money I will send 10 to 20 (what ever we have left over) SSWC2004 T-Shirts to BikeSource in Kansas where Zeke works. Shipping to the US to individuals would be a pain so they will sort it out.
    20 US$ minimum for the shirts. Send me an email if you want one I will pass it on to the BikeSource guys.

You can see the shirt here on a skinny swiss guy - but I am afraid we have only L to XXL left over - oh well frame it if you are not big enough to wear it!

[email protected]

phaty