Ride to trail head? Drive to trail head?- Mtbr.com

Poll: Do you ride to the trail or drive to the trail?

blame me for missed rides

New question here. Ride to trail head? Drive to trail head?

How far do you have to travel before hitting the trail? By bike or by car? Figured this gotta be different for singlespeeds. I usually ride about 7 miles to the trails nearby.

Ebo
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by weather
    How far do you have to travel before hitting the trail? By bike or by car? Figured this gotta be different for singlespeeds. I usually ride about 7 miles to the trails nearby.
    Three tenths of a mile....Gotta love it.

Rollin' a fatty Moderator
    No trails close to home or work, gotta drive

lux
    Sure-Fire 'Lectric
    Get to ride -- 'Bout four miles to closest trailhead and two to the dirt jumps.

lux

mtbr member

Live right next to some awesome trails

I ride.

KavuBiker

One gear to rule them all

You need some more choices...

I do both, if the trail is close, I ride. If it's far away I drive. So what do I answer in the poll?

KgB
    SNGLSPD

sometimes

but I usually drive,five miles to closest trails.Laziness and time constraints plus my dog likes to go.
    Excuses mostly.I will ride to trail more this year.
    I've been inside too long.

a legend in his own mind

Both

Some of my trails are at the end of my driveway. Most are about 30 minutes to a hour away.
    "I think this is the worst thing you've ever done Homer."
    "Oh Marge you say that so much it has no meaning."

Cracker-magnon
    I drive, it's a SoCal thing....gotta use the freeways to get there, otherwise it is just to far/complicated on surface streets. When I lived in Reno, I had a trailhead a block from our house.
    "Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.

The Riddler
    Now that I have my license driving. I used to have to ride anywhere between 5 to 15 miles to trailhead. And dont forget, you have to ride back. There is one place that i ride that has a 1.5mile road climb to the top of the reservation that i will still ride though. Sometimes its even nice to drive places to road bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

don't get down on anyone who has to drive to their trails...

Unfortunately the transportation system is built around cars, not bikes. Its too bad that bikes didn't get more development time before the "infernal" combustion engine came along. Perhaps then bikes would have influenced the transportation system more, instead of becoming recreation "toys", for lack of a better word. I can only hope that someone who drives to their trails at least appreciates the natural world they ride through enough to understand the impact their car has on it.

The real solution is to not drive to work. Commute by bike if you can. I ride a 1x8 and ride at least twice a week. Keeps you in shape, the car isn't burning costly fossil fuels, and your expensive car lasts longer. Fortunately I have a bike friendly employer: shower, doesn't mind the bike being inside.

So, along with lobbying for trails to stay open, don't forget to speak up for bikes in the city as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have not put a bike in a vechicle in two years,aside from traveling to races

Appalachian Singletrack'n

I don’t have a trailhead in riding distance…..

I do pass 2 trails systems on my commute to work and so I take my bike to work with me and stop to ride on the way home.

I rarely ever put my road bike on top of a car though. I live in a road bike heaven, tons of hilly twisty super low traffic miles. In the summer 50% of my riding is on skinnys.

Quote Originally Posted by 32seventeen
    I do both, if the trail is close, I ride. If it's far away I drive. So what do I answer in the poll?
    er...choose the one that most often happens on your SS rides.

Out spokin'

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by hu-man
    Unfortunately the transportation system is built around cars...
    Might as well ask if you ride or drive to get groceries, see a movie, go out to eat, or as hu-man mentioned, get to/from work. What difference does it make where you're going or what you're going to do when you get there?

The nearest trail (longer than about a mile) to me is 25 miles away. If I rode my bike to it every time I wanted to go mountain biking, I wouldn't go. I'd just become a dedicated road bicyclist instead. But oh, how I wish we had trails on the outskirts of town around here. We are about an hour's drive from the nearest National Forest.

In addition to riding singlespeed off-road, I like to commute to/from work by bike. It's only 14 miles each way in my case.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

highly visible
    Silly poll. Is it always one or the other? I probably drive more often, since I live in the city and there aren't that many trailheads within riding distance, and I like to get out and explore.

But I often ride too. A week ago I rode to work on my MTB, rode to the trailhead, rode a few miles in the park with some friends, then rode home. But doing all that required 38 miles of riding in one day. Fun, but not how I do it every day.

as i said in my first post: "usually".

all i wanted to know is whether most SSers have a trail that they ride regularly/frequently that is within riding distance (on a SS). your guess at the intention of this poll is welcome, but not necessarily correct.

Medium?

It's 12 miles to the local dirt.

But it's also 2500' vertical. The road dead ends at the park though, and is very quiet and senic. I've ridden up to the park about 10 times. Then the dirt ride is a minimum of 15 miles down the other side of the hill and another 2000' vertical. I've never combined the two parts, but I'd like to. A few times I've ridden up the road, and then the first 2.5 miles of dirt out and back as a night ride. The whole enchilada would be about 40 miles and over 4500' vertical with 2/3 on the road. I think it would take about six hours.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Good job! i ride to the trailhead 90% or more of the time.

i bought the house that i did because of its proximity to exceptional mtb terrain and the beach. it is very small and was ridiculously overpriced, but the time i save riding from my garage into the park easily translates into exponentially more frequent rides. i can go for a decent ride (say an hour) in the travel time i might otherwise spend in SoCal traffic driving to and from trailhead only 15 miles away.

unfortunately, because i have to wear a suit to work pretty much every day and/or travel to courts all over the southern part of the state, and there are no showers at my office, bike commuting is out. i do run other errands on the bike though (i.e. haircuts, quick grocery runs when i just forgot something i need for a recipe, coffee beans, etc.).

i think this is an interesting poll, weather. i'm not sure that i think singlespeeders are more or less likely to ride to the trailhead than other cyclists, because a lot of ss'ers seem to get annoyed about spinning out on the flats. that never bothers me, though, because i just treat it as time to look around and enjoy myself, to recover from a climb, or to warm up for one.

try driving your car less

ride.

Quote Originally Posted by eSSq
    i bought the house that i did because of its proximity to exceptional mtb terrain .
    definitely a factor in my own home choice, as well. at my local riding spot, there are alot of break-ins on automobiles (Otis, bostonians take note). a cop told me they are done by motocross guys and the cops have no chance of catching them in the woods. so riding to the trailhead has that big advantage!

I ride about 3 miles to the trails. spinning out with the SS is annoying, but I timed it and the actual minutes are not that much different than on a geared bike.(like 10 vs 15 minutes each way). and my bottom line is that if I saved MAYBE 5 minutes or so each way, it's 10 minutes in the car vs like 25 minutes on the bike... you do the math!

and i ride to work about 50% of the time. carpool 45% and drive solo about 5%.

but i drive to the trailhead when i go on a trip to vermont or something. not riding 250 miles to the trailhead!
    Only boring people get bored.

mtbr member
    I have my local loop, which is two miles down the street, then ride the bike path another two and I'm at the trailhead.I'm spoiled and the company is now moving in a couple of months.We will be at the bottom of the Santa Ana's on the east side, so my riding to the trailhead will continue.I'm not sure about my commuting to work though.In the warmer months I really enjoyed riding to and from work and throwing in a loop occasionally.I'm not sure if I'll have that option any longer due to the inability to link the pavement together.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

elsinore or temecula for you?

you'll have good access to the best rides in the CNF, i'm sure. i'm not familar with the lower elevation starting points for the same, but i hear that there are trails from lake elsinore up to main divide, and of course then to SJT, Santiago Peak and all that associated ST, etc.

i drove out to lake elsinore on the 74 the other day, just for grins. i was getting over the flu and too sick to ride, but not to sick to go for a drive in the ragtop. on the way back i decided to drive up to bluejay and realized, for the first time, that there is a loop off the 74 that goes around the backside of the range, looking out to the east, then up to bluejay campground, then back down to the 74 on the west side, closer to the candy store. it was a beautiful day out there, as it often is even when the coast is fogged in.

good luck in your new home.