Reynolds 631 or 4130?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Reynolds 631 or 4130?

I am comparing a Jamis Dragon Comp frame and an On-One Inbred frame. Any opinions would be great!

DOH!

4130 vs. 631

what don't kill ya, make ya more strong.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hello. While I have never owned a Jamis I do have an inbred, and I've had various bikes made from both these materials. My last reynolds 853 bike was a Dekerf st. My two current 4130 bikes are a pre-trek Bontrager race-lite (ss) and the inbred (29er ss). While reynolds is arguably the more boutique material of the two the truth is that the real difference between the two bikes you mention will come down to geometry and build (wheels especially). It takes a very experienced set of legs to really notice the difference between frame materials when all other things are equal. I am very fond of my inbred. It borrows heavily from the design philosophy of my Bontrager, which is to say, it climbs, accelerates and turns like a thoroughbred. My personal opinion is that 853 should be lugged, but that's a discussion for another day. Both materials have more then stood the test of time, my Bontrager is 18 years old at this point and still head and shoulders above anything I could go out and buy off the rack... I don't think you can go wrong either way, though personally I like the On-One philosophy...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by al415
    Hello. While I have never owned a Jamis I do have an inbred, and I've had various bikes made from both these materials. My last reynolds 853 bike was a Dekerf st. My two current 4130 bikes are a pre-trek Bontrager race-lite (ss) and the inbred (29er ss). While reynolds is arguably the more boutique material of the two the truth is that the real difference between the two bikes you mention will come down to geometry and build (wheels especially). It takes a very experienced set of legs to really notice the difference between frame materials when all other things are equal. I am very fond of my inbred. It borrows heavily from the design philosophy of my Bontrager, which is to say, it climbs, accelerates and turns like a thoroughbred. My personal opinion is that 853 should be lugged, but that's a discussion for another day. Both materials have more then stood the test of time, my Bontrager is 18 years old at this point and still head and shoulders above anything I could go out and buy off the rack... I don't think you can go wrong either way, though personally I like the On-One philosophy...
    Why use lugs for 853 when one of the clever things about it is that it gets stronger when welded?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Bob Jackson website is a great source of info on frame tubing, here's just a tibit of info I gleamed:

"LUG CONSTRUCTION IS THE PREFERRED METHOD OF JOINING 853. It allows a much larger area to be heated than tig welding which concentrates the heat to a very small area at the weld. This completely goes against the “AIR HARDENING” building philosophy of the material and adds nothing to the strength of the joint. It is however a much cheaper joining method, requiring less time and skill to perform."

Unfortunately they don't build MTB frames
    Lrg GG Shred Dogg
    Lrg Fezzari Signal Peak
    Lrg Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    I was offered an framebuilding apprenticeship at Bob Jackson Cycles in 1986, by the great man himself. I turned it down as I worried that there might not be a secure future "making bikes". It's funny how it turns out :-)

Tubing spec alone is unlikely to be the biggest difference between the Jamis Dragon Comp and the Inbred (particularly something like our Slot Dropout frame).

DOH!

631 Vs. 4130

http://www.reynoldsusa.com/english.html

Ok, we'll take Bob out of it................
    what don't kill ya, make ya more strong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks to everyone for your input. I am sorry that my other "thread" is so similar. I meant to post the other "thread" in a different forum in order to get more responses.

Anyways, the reason this whole thing started is because I bought a 2008 Inbred frame that was ridden only a few times. I got a great deal as it only cost me $167.50. At least I think that is a great deal. It is in near perfect condition. I started to research the cost of building up the bike and it really freaked me out. Luckily I found (and bought) a new 2007Jamis Dragon Comp for only $600. I was trying to figure out whether or not to take the parts and place them on the Inbred or just ride the Dragon Comp.

Well, I have decided to take the parts and build up the Inbred and sell the Dragon Comp to my friend for the same price I paid for the Inbred frame. The biggest reason for my decision was geometry.

One last question - what does English threaded mean and does this change the BB requirements?

Members who have read this thread: 1