Reviews on WI Dos- Mtbr.com
    Curmudgeon

Reviews on WI Dos

I'm running my XT M-730 cranks with a 34t FSA chain ring (currently on the outside). In back, I'm running a WI Eno Eccentric. I'm considering purchasing a 17/19t Eno Dos, and an additional 36t chain ring and setting it up as a Dos system.

Anyone have any experience with this? Do you actually use it? Is it easier / cleaner to just purchase multiple size freewheels?

My thought is ... I could ride the 34/19 to the top of most of my trails....and while I'm already grabbing some air to repair my torched lungs, I could quickly loosen the ENO, drop the chain onto the 36/17 and not spin out so quickly on the way home.

I'm open to all flames, as long as they are "mildly" constructive.

Thanks.

-j

FTM
    The Dos works well for me on my cross bike. I have 34/40 up front and 17/19 in back so I can ride fairly steep stuff and the flatter stuff with relative comfort; works well when I do the off-road version of my 25 mile commute.

Originally bought the Dos because, although I race cross with an 18t freewheel, I wanted the options of 17 & 19 without buying both. Haven't raced with it yet but it sits on my pit wheel and serves me well the rest of the week.

Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by FTM
    The Dos works well for me on my cross bike. I have 34/40 up front and 17/19 in back so I can ride fairly steep stuff and the flatter stuff with relative comfort; works well when I do the off-road version of my 25 mile commute.

Originally bought the Dos because, although I race cross with an 18t freewheel, I wanted the options of 17 & 19 without buying both. Haven't raced with it yet but it sits on my pit wheel and serves me well the rest of the week.
    Thanks for the response. Do you actually find yourself taking the time at "the top" to switch? With those ratios, I'm going to assume you are running horizontal drops.

Poorly Disguised Poser

why flame?

I used to run a 16/18 dos...it was a fine freewheel. I found myself not switching and eventually gave it to my brother.

I never had any intentions of switching gears on the trails...I wanted to use the bike for commuting, gravel road rides, and MTB use. That freewheel allowed me to accomplish those objectives until I got too lazy and simply quit changing the gears and left it on the MTB gear all the time.

Go for it. If you find yourself like me and never swaping gears, you will still have a great freewheel that you can use as a single.
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

FTM
    yup, horizontal drops. I don't feel the need to switch at the top; use one gear for cross practice and getting to the trail and then switch at the beginning and end of the trail (takes about 30 seconds). I also use a Surly dingle when I feel like riding fixed.

Misfit Psycles
    i use sliders with a QR rear hub so swapping ratios is good and fast. its a great system when you need to put some long road-type miles on to the trail head.

it worked so well i rigged up an even bigger ratio with two master links...obviously the chain length wasnt consistent for 42:16 (for the road) and 32:19 (for the trail)...so i'd just pop out the masters and remove the 2 links (??? maybe less, maybe more) in between. presto chango i was off again.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Evil Jr.
    I have the full WI Double/Double system on my 'cross bike and it works great. I use the big ratio for *ahem* training rides and the little ratio for racing. I don't do any switching mid-ride though it would be dead easy. I'm just too lazy.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Members who have read this thread: 0