retarded question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

retarded question

i just finished my first SS setup about a month ago. I broke apart an old cassette and used a somewhat old chain with minimal stretch... 1/16 inch and a brand new chainring. i didnt want to invest much money on new stuff until i knew if it was staying in the lineup or hanging in the garage. anyway, its turned into the primary and i just broke the chain this weekend. I just ordered a new 18T SS cog for 10$ on ebay, and will probably head down to the LBS this afternoon for a new chain.

will the 9 spd chainring work with a SS chain? Should i just stick with an 8 spd chain like i was using before? also planning on getting the cheapest one there, am i setting my self up for a break?

thanks in advance
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9
    8 missing teeth-$23K IOU from tooth fairy
    rattled brain forgetting impact-PRICELESS

conjoinicorned
    i find 1/8 chains work ok with 9spd stuff (3/32), especially after a little wear.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

just get an 8speed chain. Or better yet KMC makes some very good 3/32 singlespeed specific chains. 1/8" (BMX) chain is louder, heavier and will were out 3/32" chainrings and cogs faster. don't mix and match when you don't have to.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jay-are-eh
    just get an 8speed chain. Or better yet KMC makes some very good 3/32 singlespeed specific chains. 1/8" (BMX) chain is louder, heavier and will were out 3/32" chainrings and cogs faster. don't mix and match when you don't have to.
    I already have the cog on the way... no chain yet.. am i better off biting the bullit and getting a ss specific chainring now?
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laackund
    I already have the cog on the way... no chain yet.. am i better off biting the bullit and getting a ss specific chainring now?
    If you're on a budget get a PC48, it'll rock!
    Black Sheep...where it'ss at!!
    "I'm not known for my patience. Patience is a polite quality and often appropriate, but it rarely gets things done. Impatience, however, is the hunger for results and intolerance for excuses and delays." LA

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

new is good, ramps are bad

if you can i'ld definatly get an ss chainring. the ramps and pins on a geared ring wear quickly and tend to chuck the chain if tension is low. Blackspire make nice and reasonably affordable one, or a cheap vuelta would do. As long as there are no shift ramps you are good. Also try to get as large a size as you can push for better chain wrap.

I wear two thongs
    Since you admitted that it is now your primary ride, I wouldnt hold back Id get myself a KMC Z610HX chain and a SS specific chainring to make this bike as reliable as a primary bike should be.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-

Retro Grouch

The devils in the details..

Quote Originally Posted by laackund
    Will the 9 spd chainring work with a SS chain? Should i just stick with an 8 spd chain like i was using before? also planning on getting the cheapest one there, am i setting my self up for a break?

thanks in advance
    No problem!! SS chains are big and 9sp chainrings are small. Big fits on small (small does not fit on big). BTW your 9sp chainring is actually 1/128" smaller than an 8sp; 3/32 chain. This is why a 3/32 or 1/8" chain will work on a 9 sp chainring (big on small), but you would not want to use a 9sp chain on an 8 sp chainring (small on big). Granted it's a very small difference and most likely will work, but since there are a plethora of 8 sp chains and larger, why take the chance?

1G1G, Brad
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

mtbr member
    thanks for all the help
    1 hockey puck-$2
    1 mouthguard-$9

Members who have read this thread: 0