Respect has been earnt!- Mtbr.com
    I'm gonna have to kill ya

Respect has been earnt!

I had been out from riding fro a fair few years so when I got back into it on my FS I was finding it hard as I used to be VERY fit on the old bike and now I struggled to get up the mildest of hills and chundering at the top of a few (to much amusement of my fitter chums!)

Now the weather has been pretty nasty for a while but I gladly do 30 - 40 miles every Saturday (Family life limits me to 1 ride a week) and have got to the point that me and my SS baby can do the whole thing without a break and climb almost every hill (traction limited on some).

I have been pleased with my progress and am still getting faster every week.

Saturday gone I went for a group ride (first time in maybe 4 months as they don't care for the bad weather) and I was quietly chuffed at my riding buddies astonishment at my riding, none of them could remotely keep up and in fact added several hours to my normal ride time.

After half the ride (was a short 22 miler as they refused to do my normal one lol) they deviated and got the train home and they only beat me back by 20 mins over 12 miles of really muddy trails.

None of them get the SS thing but they certainly don't take the piss for my lack of gears

Today I got delivery of 460 worth of Winter gear (Shimano MW80 Shoes, Seal skin gloves and Socks, Endura stealth tights, Endura Event Jacket, Endura Baabaa base layer) so I am even more ready for the crap UK winter.

Oh and can you spot the SS'er (me) in this 'orrible lot? Hint look for the SS legs (they really have ballooned since going SS)

cheers for enduring my ramble, I have included some bike prawn as your reward (even if one has too many gears )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Respect has been earnt!-imag0099small.jpg  

Respect has been earnt!-imag0094small.jpg  

Respect has been earnt!-imag0095small.jpg  

Out spokin'
    Way to freakin' go.

I remember admiring photos of your steed a while ago when it was clean. Looks good covered as well.

--Sparty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

Retro Grouch
    Three guys and two bikes? What gives?
    Just one more rep and I get the toaster!

Sup
    the other bike was taking the pics

The other two are a circus act, one sits on the others shoulders

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    dog's knob!

want to REALLY mess with them?
    hook up a trailer with your kid in it and haul that around on the streets using the same SS gearing you usually use.
    takes a couple months to build yourself back up to normal speed, but trust me, the level of resistance training that'll come from huffing a 46/17 with about 70 pounds of gear/child is unbelievable.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

I've been asked by my riding friends to please bring out the geared FS bike so they wouldn't struggle so hard to keep up. ;-)

Unbelievable
    Just get out and ride!

They did all sigh a sigh of relief when I got a flat during the ride as it gave them a break

I am keen to get my little girl cycling asap so I may well start dragging a trailer about, although the only one I have seen that I want is a single wheeled suspended one that is about 1400!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    oh bloody hell, i know that one... yeah we all want that one!

well I've got two trailers, a siderig single wheeler and a two wheeled off the back type.
    neither's good for singletrack, but both are great for city riding!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    +1 mate!

mtbr member
    Just a question here. Which portions do your geared buddies catch up with you and where do you put distance between them?

Am I assuming that you will lose out to them in flats and descents or am I missing something here?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I generally put distance on quick uphills. Usually I'm gathering speed uproaching an uphill section to gather momentum and then keep pounding up the hill to crest. My geared friends on the other hand are switching to lower gears and spinning up the hill.

Also on very technically sections with angle roots and such, the faster I go, the easier it is for me. Also, I can continue to pedal as the bike bobs around under me. I time my strokes to synch with my leverage on the bars to go up/over larger roots and to loft the front wheel past dense root sections. Sort of like keeping your foot in the gas on a corner. You just have more speed coming out of the rough sections to carry you to the next corner.

I tend to lose ground on level, smooth sections. I basically any place I spin out but need to pedal to maintain the pace.
    Just get out and ride!

When I stop and wait lol

Seriously on the climbs I leave them for dust, the steeper the hill the more I leave them.

On downhills my bike has far less rolling resistance so I normally hold my own as a spin up like a nutter to get my speed up (normally out accelerating them and then let gravity take over, there faster gears won't normally get them any faster than me by that point anyway.

Also I pick my lines on the downhills due to lack of suspension so again there is not much in it

On flat / slight inclines they get a look in but I can sustain a higher cadence then them as I am SS fit so to speak (but not a patch on most of you guys) so again it is rare for them to gain on me.

My buds find it annoying that I coast as fast as they pedal on some slight decline as my RoRo tyres and 16lb bike means she rolls forever (really seems like it)

This is regarding me pitched against moderately fit friends so against a fit geared rider I would expect to be handed my ass

One thing is for sure I am far fitter from riding SS then from when I was riding my geared FS

mtbr member
    I dig the jacket on the right with the off-center zip. I'm assuming that's you. I'm curious - who's the manufacturer?

Rocket Boy
    Nice! Keep it up! My friends don't understand the SS thing either. I think they just need to get one and ride it to fully understand.

Arby

mtbr member
    AWESOME RESPECT DEW TO YOU BUD WELL DONE KEEP IT GOING YOU KEEP THE SS FORUM ALIVE WITH YOUR PHOTOS OUTSTANDING sorry for caps lock

mtbr member
    dont have a clue to what i just read.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Props to you!

This is great to read. After 20+ years of MTB riding, I finally took the plunge and bought a Voodoo Bokor (used) last week. Three rides in, I'm loving it, and I can already see a day where I will be faster and stronger.

Great post
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

Members who have read this thread: 0